Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,495,614 times

Advertisements

The 2009 NFL Draft is only a month away.

I thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread discussing anything about the draft

Talk about your teams wants, needs, what you want your team to do, what you think your team will do, possible trades, etc.

Anyone want to begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,296,106 times
I hope Orkapo drops to the Packers at 9. I think the Lions go with Stafford at #1 but I think they should get an OT. You can have the best QB but if he has no time whats the point. Whats interesting is if the 49ers dont draft Sanchez he could fall a bit.

The draft is a great time of year.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The 2009 NFL Draft is only a month away.

I thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread discussing anything about the draft

Talk about your teams wants, needs, what you want your team to do, what you think your team will do, possible trades, etc.

Anyone want to begin?
Carolina Panthers.

Please trade Julius Peppers! We have no cap room for him and he turned his back on us after the $13 mill we gave him last year. i want him gone.

As for the draft, i would be suprised if our first pick didnt go toward the D-line or QB. We got lit up on national TV when out DT Kemoatu was hurt against the Giants. Delhomme should get another chance after embarassing himself in the divisional round of the playoffs but he is 30-something and we need to groom a young Qb even though i think Matt Moore could be a decent starter. If Josh Freeman is within our grasp i'd pull the trigger.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,689 times
i agree, as a lions fan i don't want them to take stafford. i have never been a fan of taking a qb high. i'd rather them take a ot. i wanted curry until i heard he would play middle linebacker for us. that didn't make much sense to me. i'd prefer them to try and get b. leftwich at a low price. next year there are tons of qb's that will be draftable. my personal preferance would be Mr. TIM TEBOW.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i agree, as a lions fan i don't want them to take stafford. i have never been a fan of taking a qb high. i'd rather them take a ot. i wanted curry until i heard he would play middle linebacker for us. that didn't make much sense to me. i'd prefer them to try and get b. leftwich at a low price. next year there are tons of qb's that will be draftable. my personal preferance would be Mr. TIM TEBOW.

Exactly, while there is no real security with one position over another I dont think you take a financial hit with an OT as big as a QB with the first pick if they are a bust. The lions allowed 52 sacks last year, 2nd most in the league, you would have a hard time putting any QB in there.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM

563 posts, read 2,571,680 times
Ok I'll bite. I am no draft guru but my team is the NY Jets and we need help at multiple positions. Our draft track record sucks so I am not putting much faith into it. However, Rex Ryan, being a defensive coach, has made some interesting additions to the defense this off season so I do not think they will draft defensively with their first pick or two. From what most people read, the confidence level in our QB situation is lacking. We have a good line so it is something to consider. Basically, we have Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff competing as of now. I like what I saw of Ratliff but that was two pre season games and then Favre came in and you never heard of Ratliff again. While Clemens has some potential, I do not think he is our guy. I don't really care for him. That does not mean they are going to draft a QB. I just do not see it. If a few teams early on pass on Stafford or even Sanchez, I can see a QB being available around our pick (17). Prob Sanchez. I don't think Stafford will be there. RB is the next issue. Thomas Jones is a baby and is unhappy with his current contract. He wants more money. But he is 31. He is playing games with the off season conditioning and since Favre was there to take some heat off of the RB due to his down field throws, Jones was AFC Rusher of the year. Anyway, I say F' em. Leon Washington wants lots of money. He is at the end of his rookie contract and is putting up great numbers when you look at his past few seasons so I feel they should re-sign him. He is explosive. While he may not be an every down type back, he works. And a big contract will surely PO Jones, but who cares. That being said, Knowshon Moreno's name keeps coming up but I do not think the Jets will draft a RB with their first pick. I am leaning towards a receiver with the first pick, barring any trades or off season acquisitions prior to the draft. With the departure of Coles, a hole is in need of filling. With the exception of TE Dustin Keller and WR Jericho Cotchery, we have some fill in receivers but I do not think they are starting guys ready to line up all the time. I have heard every name bounced around, Jeremy Maclin, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree and Percy Harvin. I do not think Crabtree will be available. The other three can go anywhere. Lots of teams picking before the Jets could use receiver help. Maclin and Harvin are these WR/RB types that are real fast. Maclin is young and while he has speed and is a solid receiver, and has been used in special teams as a returner, Leon Washington does that now. Unless the Jets want to make Washington a straight back, I do not see them drafting a guy that will be similar in function. He is fast though. Harvin is also a good pick but he is small and the Jets always have had smaller guys. That plus the fact that he was used in other offensive options like a RB leads me to beleive they will not take him. But you never know since RB is an issue. I do not think they are going for a utility type player with their first pick, especially if you look at the receiving position. Heyward Bey is a speed demon but his hands are inconsistent. I think if they go receiver they will go big target big receiver. We always could have used a tall receiver downfield. They may try with Heyward-Bey since he has the speed and height but my sleeper is Hakeem Nicks. He is not as fast but he can catch. And it does not matter how fast you are, if the QB cannot get the ball there fast enough, your speed is useless. Hands win every time though. If they go receiver I say either Heyward-Bey or Nicks. But as I said, I am no expert. I just read and watch a lot.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 PM

608 posts, read 924,597 times
As for the Jets, they need to get Favre to come back! In regards to Detroit, please draft an OT or LB! Don't go after a junior QB that may be average at best. Go after Cutler with the 2nd first round pick and draft a tackle to build a line. Maybe consider drafting an OT inround 1, than a LB in round 2 if the Cutler trade can work. If not, go OT, and LB in round 1, than DE/DT in round 2.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:59 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,495,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I hope Orkapo drops to the Packers at 9. I think the Lions go with Stafford at #1 but I think they should get an OT. You can have the best QB but if he has no time whats the point. Whats interesting is if the 49ers dont draft Sanchez he could fall a bit.

The draft is a great time of year.
I wonder if the packers would put him in at DE or OLB?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I wonder if the packers would put him in at DE or OLB?

Yea thats a good question, I would think DE just because we have a number of OLB's however maybe they can't play that well in the 3-4. He is just a dominate pass rusher who I think is going to have a solid career wherever he goes.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM

542 posts, read 1,450,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Yea thats a good question, I would think DE just because we have a number of OLB's however maybe they can't play that well in the 3-4. He is just a dominate pass rusher who I think is going to have a solid career wherever he goes.

the pack could use a d tackle. i'm not sure if there is a solid one early. there linebackers are nice. i've always thought nick barnett was an unerrated player. the pack could also use a dominate, playmaker type safety. with there corner game as good as it is, and a. kampman rushing the qb thewould have an outstanding defense if they shore up those 2 positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football