Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Why not take Wells? Perhaps because he has not shown himself to be very durable. Perhaps because he does not have experience catching balls out of the backfield. Perhaps because Beanie has less experience as a blocking back than Brown. Perhaps because Beanie isn't tailor-made for the Colts offense. Perhaps because Beanie is not known to have the best attitude.
Nice post but FYI Brown is no blocker and re Wells, he can run a "stretch play" just fine, thank you very much. Also lack of experience catching does not = can't catch; from what I gather (admittedly can't say for sure) he can catch just fine, just wasn't asked to do so much at OSU. The attitude thing I question also. The durability thing is a valid point, but it's not like he blew his knees out....and the Colts have said they pointedly want to use a 2-back approach anyway.

And how many times have the Colts failed to get a short 3d and 1 or punch it in from the 1 yd line because they didn't have a RB who could do that? I'm thinking that would be a huge plus.

Quote:
But to call the Colts "stupid" for taking Brown
Not because they took Brown over Wells (I disagree w/that but the case can be made, as you did), but they should have opted for DEFENSE. THAT was stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
You are not loaded with RB's if none of them can start 16 games and work in a spread. Moreno can catch, block and run. You can have 18 RB's but if none are not really that great you don't have enough.

Ball control was the broncos problem not a single defensive player. We have a great addtion of D men too (dawkins, hill, goodman, Andra davis). What you think drafting a single good Dlineman would have had more imapct then a star RB?
Fair enough, I can understand the pick, just question it; teams play a lot of RBBC nowdays anyway and nobody does it like the Broncs. Plus they had 2 promising young guys in Young and Torain along w/all the vets - I'm thinking they could have found an effective combo.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:54 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,222 times
Brown is a MUCH better running back than Chris Fat Beanie Wells.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM

So would I be if I played against teams like Rhode Island Tech and Monpelier A&M.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
So would I be if I played against teams like Rhode Island Tech and Monpelier A&M.

? What

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,438 times
He's saying Brown play against softer teams thus had better showings against them. Beanhead played stronger schools etc. I think brown will do OK in Indy because he is the type of back that they can use to run the stretch. Beanhead wouldnt fit into that style of running.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
He's saying Brown play against softer teams thus had better showings against them. Beanhead played stronger schools etc. I think brown will do OK in Indy because he is the type of back that they can use to run the stretch. Beanhead wouldnt fit into that style of running.
Worse teams, yes, worse conference, yes. Teams comparable to how he phrased it? Hardly.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,438 times
Bottomline is NO ONE really knows for sure until a few years down the road what will become of these guys.

Look at guys like Robert Gallery, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinhart and Vince Young. All were highly touted cant miss prospects. Gallery is a decent player who had to be moved from tackle to guard. Bush is not all he's hyped up to be and Houston took major heat for taking Mario Williams who to date has been better than Bush and Young and Lienhart. Too many things can factor in. Hell you can be a great player in a system that doesnt utilize your best talents and be considered a bust, then go somewhere else and BUST out and have a great career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football