Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 AM

536 posts, read 1,194,248 times

Advertisements

so what is everyone's take on their teams draft so far?

i love what the jets did for their round 1, although they gave up some picks to move up the 11 slots to get to 14, i think derelle revis is the best CB available in the draft and it was what we needed the most

and for the 2nd round they drafted an inside linebacker who has great potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 01:49 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
so what is everyone's take on their teams draft so far?

i love what the jets did for their round 1, although they gave up some picks to move up the 11 slots to get to 14, i think derelle revis is the best CB available in the draft and it was what we needed the most

and for the 2nd round they drafted an inside linebacker who has great potential.
I'm a Packers fan, and I'm one of those fans who understands that a GM whose entire existence is dedicated to evaluating football talent forgot more about the subject than I'll ever know. That said, I don't understand what my team was trying to accomplish. They picked an injury-prone DT which wasn't a position of particular need, while bypassing Reggie Nelson, who does play a position of pressing need for us. Our second round RB sounds intriguing but we needed a WR in the worst way. I thought we would get Moss from Oakland, but the Patriots got him instead. The WRs we drafted either can catch but can't run, or can run but can't catch.

I hope Thompson knows what he's doing, but I'm not very enthusiastic about this draft at all.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Carolina got some pretty good players. Trading down was a good idea so we can fill more needs. Beason was picked at the right time. Kail and Jarrett we mad good value in the second round. I feel if we get a good year out the rookies i think we can go back to the playoffs.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM

311 posts, read 1,377,559 times
Default Dolphins

As a Dolphins fan, I would like to know if other fans are as frustrated as I am right now. I cannot believe they passed on Brady Quinn when he actually became available to them. Ginn may be a good receiver, but they don't seem to get the picture that they need a franchise quarterback. They did the same thing 2 years ago when they chose Ronnie Brown instead at the #2 spot.

Ever since Dan Marino retired, there has been nothing but problems at this position. Their history is full of bad QB decisions (and bad RB decisions a/k/a Ricky Williams). Jay Fiedler could only take the team so far. AJ Feely and Ray Lucas were horrible. Daunte Culpepper can barely move (remember Drew Brees? good move there). Joey Harrington was a disappointment. Who is Cleo Lemon? There is talk of getting Trent Green, but he is 37 years old. Is John Beck going to develop into someone who can compete with Tom Brady? What is going through their mind?

This is getting so ridiculous that I have no confidence they can win in the next few years and I am assuming they will again have a top 10 pick next year. I wonder who the top quarterbacks will be in next year's draft? They are going to need one.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM

793 posts, read 3,123,730 times
I don't follow the NFL as adamantly any longer, nor the Dolphins, but I still get disappointed as a life-long Fins fan when I see what a disgrace and embarrassment this organization has become. In their defense I will say this: 1. They aren't falling alas for the usual ploy of overcompensating for a mediocre player when they are seen as being desperate at a certain position (Trent Green). What Miami gave up to acquire the likes of Aj Feely and Lamar Gordon when Ricky Williams retired, was a rip-off. You don't fix problems by trying an end-all cure by mortgaging too much in the way of draft picks to "reach" for a someone barely servicable that has never made a name for himself in the NFL. As for Culpepper, he is the most overrated player in the NFL: I've said it for years, not just after the injury. This guy is not a good quarterback even when healthy: stats do indeed lie plenty. I know there were issues that aren't so black-and-white and Brees had his own issues with the shoulder, but I don't see how anyone could come to the conclusion of favoring Culpepper in a Culpepper-Brees debate based on their play in Minnesota & San Diego respectively. But bottom line, it's time to start buidling this team and stop pretending your playing by the same guide lines the New Yorks and Bostons do in baseball.
Brady Quinn: don't know about the hype, especially since the media always is yearning to shove the Notre Dame garbage down our throats at any chance, particularly when combined with the fact that we are talking the glamour, golden boy position of all sports. But why not take a crack at the guy? Quarterback play is a disgrace in the NFL: as bad as it ever has been: you don't need a Marino, but trying to find a long-term servicable quarterback for the foreseeable future has become a real dearth in this league. Maybe Quinn is a flop and there is a good reason why his stock plummeted. But boy Fin fans can only hope so! To err with this guy, or most any coveted first rd quarterback is MONUMENTAL and isn't the same as a bust at another position. Maybe the Dolphins wind up finding their gem w/ their second selection, the BYU QB. But you have to wonder if the Dolphins are trying to make the effort to become the new Arizona Cardinals when you possess a high draft pick, bypass a possible gem that falls in your lap unexpectedly at a position that is the most difficult to play and has become harder to play than ever, but is the most important position, and a possible cure to your long-standing QB and offensive woes, for a 178-lb receiver with a major foot injury!
Most comical may have been the press conference they showed with Cam Cameron. Everything Cameron stressed first and foremost was Ginn's punt returning skills! It was mind boggling. Other justifications, other players perhaps. Let the Dolphins state their case for someone besides Quinn. But good god, please don't tell me this franchise w/ all its woes found it pertinent to utilize a top ten pick on a player based on his punt returning skills?!

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 04-30-2007 at 12:59 PM..

Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
I was pleasantly surprised that the Browns picked an offensive lineman with their first pick. This is an area the Browns have been lacking in for 20 years, and someone finally got a clue? Amazing.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM

536 posts, read 1,194,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was pleasantly surprised that the Browns picked an offensive lineman with their first pick. This is an area the Browns have been lacking in for 20 years, and someone finally got a clue? Amazing.
yeah they needed an OL bigtime..wasnt it been 20 years since they had a 1,000 yard rusher in a season until last year? since ernest byner? lol

im glad last season with the no.4 overall pick the jets drafted d'brickashaw furgeson (OL) he had a good rookie year and finally fragile chad pennington got through a whole season

Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And a franchise QB (10 spots lower than they originally tried to go- why didn't the Packers take a trade at 16?), plus a likely starting CB. If these guys pan out, that will be a legendary draft.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,130,029 times
the only teams that did good in the draft were the Pats and the Pats....

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
I'm a Dolphin fan too and have been disturbed (to say the least) of their performance in the draft. But, let's give this year's picks a chance before we count them out. John Beck may be a better QB than Brady Quinn, you just have to wait and see. And I agree, C-Pep was one of the biggest busts this organization has ever had. I'll be a Dolphin fan for life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football