Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes 18 17.82%
No 81 80.20%
Maybe 2 1.98%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,529,608 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think that all men and women in the military should use the same barracks, the same heads, the same everything, all the time.

Yes, sex is bound to happen from time to time, but honestly, it already does.

Homosexuals are the exact same way. It should be the same standard, for every man and woman in the military.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,245,170 times
I don't believe segregation is a good idea. Gay-specific facilities would only promote ridicule. However, I do believe that homosexuals should fully expect tension, subtle harrassment, and outright violence from time to time though. Repealing DADT sounds warm and fuzzy to the overly emotional gay types that roam this Earth - that is until somone gets a beat down. It will happen. I have no doubts whatsoever. "Be careful what you wish for" could not be more true in this situation.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,488,890 times
Because Jim Crow laws worked so well in the past.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I do believe that homosexuals should fully expect tension, subtle harrassment, and outright violence from time to time though. Repealing DADT sounds warm and fuzzy to the overly emotional gay types that roam this Earth - that is until somone gets a beat down. It will happen. I have no doubts whatsoever. "Be careful what you wish for" could not be more true in this situation.
Absolutely absurd. There is no room in the military (or in this country, IMO) for violence against a fellow service member because of his or her sexual orientation.

It should most certainly not be expected.

I hope I never have to count on you having my back in the future.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,321,173 times
Isn't there some kind of code of honor amongst soldiers?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,529,079 times
Quote:
I don't believe segregation is a good idea. Gay-specific facilities would only promote ridicule. However, I do believe that homosexuals should fully expect tension, subtle harrassment, and outright violence from time to time though. Repealing DADT sounds warm and fuzzy to the overly emotional gay types that roam this Earth - that is until somone gets a beat down. It will happen. I have no doubts whatsoever. "Be careful what you wish for" could not be more true in this situation.
Fairness has never come without personal consequence in this country. Ask John Lewis, he had he skull cracked fighting for civil rights and he now sits in the U.S. Congress. There will always be bigots and they will always lose. Bigots are no reason to shy away from doing what's fair.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,245,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Absolutely absurd. There is no room in the military (or in this country, IMO) for violence against a fellow service member because of his or her sexual orientation.

"No room for" and "won't happen" are two very different points of view. I think we can all agree there's "no room for" violence, but you're being overly naive if you think it "won't happen."

There will be ramifications. Keep thinking that everyone will be singing Kumbayah around the campfire after repeal. When (not if) the first beat down occurs, i'll be the first one to say "I told you so."

PS...I've already got your back. Many times over. You just don't know it.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Quote:
"No room for" and "won't happen" are two very different points of view. You're being overly naive if you think it "won't happen."

There will be ramifications. You're overly naive if you believe that everyone will be singing Kumbayah around the campfire after repeal. When (not if) the first beat down occurs, i'll be the first one to say "I told you so."
I do not disagree that there might be violence. What I do disagree with, however, is that it is justified. As I said, there is no room for it in my military, or my country.

That is like saying, "if we outlaw murder, there will still be murder, so we should not ban murder."

Either get on board or get out.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,291,555 times
Quote:
I don't think any kind of segregation is a good idea and I doubt if it is even being considered. Nor would I go so far as to say gays should expect isolated instances of outright violence. I can see some degree of "tension" and/or "subtle harassment" from some who have been in the military for a long time but not necessarily from the newer enlistees. Yes, there will be a "settling in" time until open homosexuality becomes fully integrated into military life but I think that it will eventually be no big deal.

The Pentagon Report on which the FRC article was based (see this thread) cites instances of new enlistees being intimidated by subtle sexual innuendo from older, gay soldiers in positions of authority over them. Things like this do happen and what recourse will the soldier of lesser status have in situations like this? As a young nursing student in the 1950's I was "courted" by one of my instructors and I did not know how to handle it. She called me several times, invited me to go places (like movies, etc.) with her and I was afraid to refuse. Although she made no direct physical advances, she did give me liquor (I was not yet 21 either) and the whole situation made me very uncomfortable. I was very innocent at the time (remember, it was the 50's) and I had no idea what I should do about it. She eventually gave up on me but her class was the only class in my entire three years in training that I got a C in.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,910,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

I'm sure your back would be safe but would his ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies