Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 AM

38,748 posts, read 22,534,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think your problem is you see this as a war..meaning there can be a victor. It's not a war. It's an ongoing conflict. There will always be Taliban and Al Qaeda threats because they will always have shelter in Pakistan.
I said you need to look at the "perspective of trying to win an unconventional war" which clearly means I see this "war" requires a different "perspective" on what a victory would look like.

I would read the president's definition of what our goals are, what we hope to accomplish, and what our end game objective is in Afghanistan, but he has not provided any clear definitions.

Quote:
The only thing we can do is provide them with an army that can defend itself within reason. I see your point but I disagree with you because you are looking at this from an American's perspective and not an Afghanistan perspective.
All i was saying is that after 0bama said we will pull the troops out in 18 months, he created an environment of uncertainty and doubt in the minds of the Afghan people. We will have a very tough time getting the local people to aid and assist us against the Taliban if they know we will leave them hanging in the wind in 18 months to face retribution form the Taliban for daring to side with the government and the Western infidels.

Quote:
These people have pride over their land. They always have. There is already an idea among Muslims in the Middle East that Americans are occupiers and want to take ownership of their country. If we continue to reside there indefinitely, they are going to think we don't keep our word and we are infiltrators that say nice things but our true motive is to own the country. Yes, that sounds paranoid but that's how they think. The Afghan people are helping themselves in this process by strengthening their army and taking control of their country. And we are not pulling out every single troop in 18 months. We are beginning the process of withdrawl but Obama said he could adjust that plan if the situation warranted. But at least by providing an 18 month plan, we are sending a message that we are not taking permanent residence in their country and providing any idea of occupation. Not only will you get far more cooperation from Afghan residents but you are also less likely to create non-Taliban Afghan insurgents.
0bama said we were pulling out the extra troops in 18 months, and he may be influenced by other factors. 0bama did not say we would pull them out "once the Afghan army is able to protect the people".

The people want to be free, they want a government that can keep them safe from Taliban terrorists, they want to feel confident, while they assist the government and the Western coalition, or even join the Afghan army. They will not feel that confidence if America says it will pull out the extra troops in 18 months and leave them in the lurch to face an angry Taliban.

You say 0bama may be magnanimous enough to tweak his plan "if the situation warranted". But how does the average Afghan person know that the situation 0bama is using to make his decision to pull out, is the "situation" in the area where they live?

The "occupying force" argument is not going to work for you, since the other "occupying force" is a group of terrorists who have made it clear they will never leave, and intend to rule the people until the end of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM

38,748 posts, read 22,534,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Pulitzer was an award based on bias & "yellow journalism". I cannot believe people don't know the history of the man.
Which is why the Pulitzer is going to the National Enquirer for the John Edwards sex scandal.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,552,925 times
Default you will get sick

most of you if not all you Obama haters will someday get sick or someone around you care about will. At that time when the ins company informs you that they want be paying because of one of the many money making provisions thay have to deny you HC. I want you to remember that you hate Obama and the dems and also think of the good money the ceo of that company will make while you or your love one dies.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 AM

228 posts, read 484,342 times
Quote:
0bama said we were pulling out the extra troops in 18 months, and he may be influenced by other factors. 0bama did not say we would pull them out "once the Afghan army is able to protect the people".
I have learned to take anything Obama says with a handful of salt. Actually I pretty much dismiss it as a flat out lie these days.

He also said he was going to start withdrawing troops the first day he got into office. Not only did he not withdraw any troops, he sent more! Now he's going to start withdrawing these extra troops in 18 months? Give me a break.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,066,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Which is why the Pulitzer is going to the National Enquirer for the John Edwards sex scandal.
ROLE OF YELLOW JOURNALISM

Respectible newsmen used to be ashamed to participate in "yellow journalism" however, since the $$ poured in (along with it came power) from the sensationalism and biased methods, for some time it has been the norm rather than the exception. Pulitzer and Hearst perfected it in their battles for the top spot during what might be referred to as the "golden age" of newspapers.

So, what we see today with Matthews, Olbermann, Hannity and others is not new, just same show, different medium, different century. For the NY Times, Enquirer, etc... same medium, different century.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM

119 posts, read 197,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
• He took decisive action to tackle the nation's worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression.
Sure did fix that one

You do realize that our economy is entirely based on people's perception of it at this point. We manufacture next to nothing. Obama didn't tackle anything unless you define tackle as "throwing more money at a problem and not fixing the root cause"

The rest of the crap listed only stands out when you get to the part about the wise latina moron he got on the court.

Oh wait, wasn't there a part about women's rights in the workplace?

Yeah, I think there was. I can see those women sitting at home every day just dreaming of getting a job..."If I ever get a job I will get the same minimum wage that men do" YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Here is a link to info about Vise Grips being made in China. It was the first one on google.......

Made in the USA: Newell Rubbermaid moves Vice Grip to China

Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM

119 posts, read 197,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
I have learned to take anything Obama says with a handful of salt. Actually I pretty much dismiss it as a flat out lie these days.

He also said he was going to start withdrawing troops the first day he got into office. Not only did he not withdraw any troops, he sent more! Now he's going to start withdrawing these extra troops in 18 months? Give me a break.
BUT but but but but but but...but but ......but....uhhh...but....but he learned the REALITY of the situation AFTER he got sworn in.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,072,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
1) He is photogenic.
2) He travels well.
3) He claims, "he gets it." (I wonder what he's getting?)

I'm sorry, this page will "time out," if I try to come up with two more successes!
He gave a record number of interviews, too.

He had a party on the average of one every three days.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,190,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
This thread sparkles with Intellectuality.
Some type age check needs to be required to post.
Sounds like bunch of kids spitting food on the table!
1. He doesn't spit food on the table.
2. He doesn't run up big expensive long distance telephone bills on the taxpayers' dime, calling Glenn Beck in NY during non-peak hours.
3. He's met Mr and Mrs Salahi so we don't have to.
4. He's made the White House more diverse by having a ballet dancer (arts), a tax cheat (white collar criminal) and a self-avowed Commie (over the top lefty) advising him.
5. He stole "snitch" from the rappers and turned it into a positive word.
6. He found and made friends with some other Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright and Michael Moore and they are apparently so dull compared to the other ones, that no one from the media has asked who they are.
7. He taxed his own vice meaning he's not middle class.
8. He liked NYC so much on his date that he wants Khalid Sheik Mohammed to enjoy it plus with all the reporters and law enforcement eating and drinking and sleeping and traveling, the trial will stimulate NYC's economy.
9. Turtles finally got some PR in the stimulus bill he signed instead of those polar bear wildlife publicity hounds.
10. He's keeping the unemployment numbers for trial lawyers low by ensuring they have work with those that implement or attempt to implement man-caused disasters.
11. He apparently (I inherited) came into a big inheritance because he's always talking about it.
12. He seems to be a pretty good father and frankly, 10 years from now, that may mean more to him than the unearned Nobel prize.
13. His hair isn't grey, yet.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,066,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyman5001 View Post
BUT but but but but but but...but but ......but....uhhh...but....but he learned the REALITY of the situation AFTER he got sworn in.
Which begs the queston, why does he still fly about the country (and world) making TV appearances as though he were still campaining for office? He acts like a candidate, not a POTUS.

The hour of video clips on one of the cable networks showing him contradicting himself on his agenda and stance on subjects was very . Yet, he keeps touring and giving the media more food for fodder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies