Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I might agree if his Afghanistan policy was to give his generals the troops and equipment they told him they needed to win in Afghanistan. But he gave his generals 60% of the bare minimum of troops they requested, did not described the goals or mission objective, and then said he would pull the troops back out in 18 months.
I like the 18 month timeline. I think Obama handled that part well. You have to understand, these countries assume we are trying to take over them. We are not going to inspire morale among the citizens and soldiers of Afghanistan if they think we are going to be there indefinitely. We will receive more cooperation. Furthermore, we owe it to our troops and their families as well. The goals of the mission objective were clearly defined which is to equip and train Afghanistan's army to be self sufficient and capable of defending themselves against the Taliban and opposition forces. I'm not going to criticize Obama for that. Like I said, I'm not partisan. I'm not going to say everything Obama did was wrong because that's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:11 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
You forgot
6. A really cool photo of Air Force One flying near the Statue of Liberty.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I like the 18 month timeline. I think Obama handled that part well. You have to understand, these countries assume we are trying to take over them. We are not going to inspire morale among the citizens and soldiers of Afghanistan if they think we are going to be there indefinitely. We will receive more cooperation. Furthermore, we owe it to our troops and their families as well. The goals of the mission objective were clearly defined which is to equip and train Afghanistan's army to be self sufficient and capable of defending themselves against the Taliban and opposition forces. I'm not going to criticize Obama for that. Like I said, I'm not partisan. I'm not going to say everything Obama did was wrong because that's not the case.
You need to look at it from the proper perspective of trying to win an unconventional war, like we are fighting in Afghanistan.

The Afghan people are being terrorized and intimidated by the Taliban. How will you convince them turn against the Taliban, and offer aid and assistance to the local government and coalition armies, and to not be afraid of Taliban retribution, if the US president just said the very military that is asking for their assistance will be pulling out in 18 months? The Afghan people will have to live their for the rest of their lives.

So I completely disagree with you. 0bama stating that he will pull the military out in 18 months, ended any cooperation we may have hoped to get from many of the people in Afghanistan. the Taliban will be sure to remind any and all, that to align themselves with America will result in severe retribution in 18 months.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He did NOT demand universal health care. That is what he should have demanded. If they passed a UHC program that covered every American for a reasonable price, he would be a shoo in for a 2nd term.
Absolute fantasy here.

The public rose up against obamacare - are you really going to put forth the unbelievable spin they did that because they wanted a public option?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
His greatest accomplishment;

He has led the GOP/Conservatives back from the wilderness.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
1. Got a dog that he then named after himself.
2. Ticked off the public so badly that a republican actually got elected to the senate in MA.
3. Succeeded in failing to bring the olympics to Chicago (didn't want them here, thanks).
4. Ummmmmm, I'm at a loss for any more at the moment.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
1. Master teleprompter reader
2. Won biggest liars contest
3. Won bowing contest
4. Made acorn a dirty word
5. Accumulated most tax dodgers in one spot
6. First Leader to talk smack about their own country

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,969 times
1. Won office.....thanks to his speaking ability
2. Went nuts.....when people really started listening
3. Lost Credibility with too many to count anymore/created mass uncertainty
4. Divided......but United
5. Wasted the Democratic Party

Great FIRST YEAR!

Looking forward to the next. This get exciting.
Better than the worst soap and most reality series.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You need to look at it from the proper perspective of trying to win an unconventional war, like we are fighting in Afghanistan.

The Afghan people are being terrorized and intimidated by the Taliban. How will you convince them turn against the Taliban, and offer aid and assistance to the local government and coalition armies, and to not be afraid of Taliban retribution, if the US president just said the very military that is asking for their assistance will be pulling out in 18 months? The Afghan people will have to live their for the rest of their lives.

So I completely disagree with you. 0bama stating that he will pull the military out in 18 months, ended any cooperation we may have hoped to get from many of the people in Afghanistan. the Taliban will be sure to remind any and all, that to align themselves with America will result in severe retribution in 18 months.
I think your problem is you see this as a war..meaning there can be a victor. It's not a war. It's an ongoing conflict. There will always be Taliban and Al Qaeda threats because they will always have shelter in Pakistan. The only thing we can do is provide them with an army that can defend itself within reason. I see your point but I disagree with you because you are looking at this from an American's perspective and not an Afghanistan perspective. These people have pride over their land. They always have. There is already an idea among Muslims in the Middle East that Americans are occupiers and want to take ownership of their country. If we continue to reside there indefinitely, they are going to think we don't keep our word and we are infiltrators that say nice things but our true motive is to own the country. Yes, that sounds paranoid but that's how they think. The Afghan people are helping themselves in this process by strengthening their army and taking control of their country. And we are not pulling out every single troop in 18 months. We are beginning the process of withdrawl but Obama said he could adjust that plan if the situation warranted. But at least by providing an 18 month plan, we are sending a message that we are not taking permanent residence in their country and providing any idea of occupation. Not only will you get far more cooperation from Afghan residents but you are also less likely to create non-Taliban Afghan insurgents.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 PM

119 posts, read 197,176 times
Not in any particular order

Killed a fly
Gave the go ahead to kill some pirates (I think)

Uhhhhh........................

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. I think I liked a bit of his speech he gave about Haiti. It reminded me of a speech a president in a disaster movie would give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies