Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you or have you made a personal donation to relief efforts in Haiti?
Yes 67 58.77%
No 40 35.09%
Not sure / Still thinking about it 7 6.14%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

33,656 posts, read 37,468,002 times

Advertisements

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is making its first grant in response to the earthquake in Haiti -- $1 million to Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to aid its initial relief efforts, including immediate food, shelter, water, sanitation, health and other needs of people affected by Tuesday's earthquake.

Toys'R'Us Children's Fund Donates $150,000 to Save the Children to Support Haitian Relief Efforts.

Health insurer Humana Inc. said Thursday it is donating $100,000 to Haiti relief efforts.

The UPS Foundation...1 million.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie...1 million

The New York Yankees donated $500,000

There are many more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,554,721 times
I gave a small amount of money, for an office fund drive.

I have a feeling, however, that it's all for nought I'm going to be paying for this looooong after the memories have faded.

For some reason (I guess immigration laws, etc. do not apply anymore), Catholic churches and Haitian immigrant groups are preparing to relocate thousands! of Haitian children to South Florida, where they are expected to start school and be taught to adjust to "life in America."

Ya know, because we aren't already chock full of poor and downtrodden, and the economy is just great and schools not suffering from budgetary constraints at all. Worse, I can only imagine 10 years from now when the impoverished children become still-impoverished teenagers in the United States, making them easy targets for gang life (Haitian gangs are already a problem in South Florida, it's gonna be GREAT when there's THOUSANDS MORE to choose from to swell the ranks) and crime. Don't say it doesn't happen or won't necessarily happen, because it's more likely TO happen than not.

Of course, for those who don't have to deal with it directly, it probably isn't a problem. Or, they can think with their heart instead of looking at the big picture.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,265,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that our "donation" is through our tax dollars. I lean toward agreeing with that view.
No, I don't plan on donating.

I "donate" through my taxes to a worse disaster that BUSH started in Iraq and other Middle East countries.

If my money is slaughtering people on one side of the world why should I give more to save people on the other side?

AND: In disasters like Haiti , one NEVER KNOWS just WHERE your money goes.......

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM

615 posts, read 1,700,423 times
This isn't about totally "rebuilding" Haiti, it is about helping a very, very poor country during a disaster. Other countries are stepping up and FWIW, other countries came to our aid after katrina (Hurricane Katrina Blog - Deadly Katrina » World did come to aid America after Katrina (http://www.deadlykatrina.com/?p=93 - broken link)) , not necessarily in terms of money but in terms of manpower. Kind of like helping a millionaire when his house burns down, he might not need money but he most certainly needs help. Haiti will have to do the job of rebuilding itself but in the meantime as human beings we have to provide aid, food, doctors, etc. It is the right thing to do.

So OK, Obama has already pledge for us. We have always set money aside for international disasters. I find it very difficult to believe that people are asking how we can afford to send aid as most of us are sitting in warm houses, with food, with a doctor nearby, and in front of a computer or a big screen TV. These people are poorer than any of us can imagine. They make Americans living in poverty look like royalty. No matter how things get for us in the US, there is always someone worse off than us, Haitians are those people worse off than us. A zillion times worse off than us. We are still leaders of the free world so yes, we will head and lead the way regarding this. Or do you NOT want the US to be a leader anymore? Which is it?

So yeah, I'm going to donate. Would have already but couldn't get through when I tried. Could do the text thing but I've been second guessing giving to the Red Cross.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 AM

11,582 posts, read 14,027,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

AND: In disasters like Haiti , one NEVER KNOWS just WHERE your money goes.......
While the rest of your post was the standard run-of-the-mill garbage, I do agree wholeheartedly with the above statement. While unfortunate, you simply have no idea if your money is gonna help some victims or end up in the pocket of some crook in Miami.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM

38,839 posts, read 22,681,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that our "donation" is through our tax dollars. I lean toward agreeing with that view.
I have given over $20,000 to charities over the years, and it seems as if our government and local churches are handling things fine. If you pay taxes, or plop money in the collection plate, it all goes towards this crisis too. So no, I'm not sending any money... well not ATM anyway. If things get worse over there I still may donate.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 18,842,874 times
Yes we did through the cell phone. It goes to Red Cross so I think the people will see it instead of the corrupt gov.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,140,810 times
$1,500 spread out among different organizations

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,265,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
While the rest of your post was the standard run-of-the-mill garbage, I do agree wholeheartedly with the above statement. While unfortunate, you simply have no idea if your money is gonna help some victims or end up in the pocket of some crook in Miami.
"garbage"?

Please feel free to point out any inaccuracies.

Taxes are NOT going to fund the bloodshed in Iraq and Afghanistan????

You truly believe that?!?!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:11 AM

89,896 posts, read 45,615,369 times
Already donated to Doctors Without Borders. Red Cross has problems, as mentioned in other posts, so I don't donate to them. I have family and friends on the USAR teams that have deployed, and we have a small network that coordinates to do what we can to get them what they need when they don't have time to work their way through government red tape.

Catastrophic events call for humanitarian support. Please reconsider donating if you haven't yet.

Some resources to evaluate charitable organizations (in no particular order):
www.give.org
www.charitynavigator.org
www.charitywatch.org
www.guidestar.org

There are others, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies