Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You need to qualify that by inserting the word "legal," otherwise they aren't law abiding, they are criminals for being in the country illegally. And that goes for any race, creed, color, ethnicity, etc. If they are here illegally, they are criminals. Irish, Russian, Haitian, Mexican, or Canadian, it's all the same. If they are here illegally they are criminals and need to be deported.

By the way, I live in an upscale gated community. My neighbors are Brits, Asian Indian, Chinese, black, Hispanic, and some of your run of the mill "American" mixed in for good measure. Not all gated communities are the bastions of white supremecy you are implying.
Here's my just one row of townhouses in SC
1. native Charlottean NC
2. Ohio/NC
3. California/she's a chinese lady
4. NJ both with an adopted Chinese daughter
5. Canada & Maine
6. native Charlottean NC
7. native South Carolinian
8.France (black young man DR)

Non gated community, low to middle class, to wealthy.

Community set up as townhomes from 110,000 to houses 1/2 million plus.
All live in same community. Everyone here is from someplace else.

So same as you, live in a very diverse community. I also work for one of the largest international companies in the world. People who work at the North American headquarters are from every country in the world. Countries, I truly hadn't ever heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 PM

256 posts, read 479,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What's your point?
That Hispanic whites do not look like Anglo white in America, like that guy was trying to make it look like.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
And as far as the people claiming "reverse racism", please. For every one thread that I could find on here in which a Latino is complaining about civil transgressions committed by people in other racial/ethnic groups, there are two dozen threads in which the majority is, more or less, equating Latino immigration to the end of "our country" as we know it.

The Latino immigrants of this generation are no different than any immigrants to America in the past. They come here to establish a better life for themselves and their families, obey our laws and pay taxes, and enrich our collective society with their traditions and customs. The only anti-American forces in this debate are the people who want to wall themselves up in their 99% white communities (which makes me wonder why they haven't moved to Nebraska or Kentucky yet, as opposed to staying in South Florida and being miserable because they have to - *gasp* - live around people with a different skin tone...)
Yes because city data forums are just FILLED to the brim with hispanics starting threads. Even if they tried they couldn't because spanish is not tolerated in posts. Know why? Because this is America baby! Even though FL feels like a cocktail of badly mixed drinks that were never meant to be mixed. FL=diversification gone bad! And "oh please" get off your soapbox.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
That Hispanic whites do not look like Anglo white in America, like that guy was trying to make it look like.
Look at my profile picture. I am not atypical for a "Hispanic" person from a middle class area in South Florida. You'd be surprised at the amount of Hispanics of full or nearly-full European origin down there.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
You posted a photo of an indigenous person. We were talking about people from Latin-Am countries with 100% European ancestry. That's why no one gets your point.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:41 PM

44 posts, read 77,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
I think it's unrealistic and a bit bizarre, though, to expect instantaneous assimilation from today's Latinos when no other group of immigrants in the history of this country instantly assimilated - and because of that, I believe that the commotion over "assimilation" is one of many code words being used in this debate in an attempt to cover up more nefarious instincts (i.e., I don't think many people here want Latinos to assimilate - I believe that they simply want them to leave.) The Germans, the Italians, the Irish, the Eastern Europeans...none of them instantly assimilated. It was a long, grueling process in which the communities that absorbed large quantities of immigrants changed nearly as much as the arriving immigrants. Heck, several Midwestern cities actually had German-language newspapers around the turn of the century! If you look at many Hispanic families that have been in this country for generations - New Mexico provides a great example - you see that Hispanics do in fact assimilate, just like every other immigrant group. My Hispanic friends in South Florida - most of whom were raised here by foreign-born parents - are as American as apple pie, in my book.

I hope that all users read this great post

In Germany it´s the same thing with the turkish, arab and balkan immigrants - most of them are muslims

When Germans claim that the muslim cluture is the main barrier for the integration process, I tell them that in america the scapegoat are spanish speaking christian whites

So it´s not about religion or illegality, it´s simply an "We-are-again-them, they-destroy-MY-country-attitude", a mixture of hatred, fear and searching a scapegoet for my own problems.

This is because they don´t have strong lobbies yet and If you speak about them in a rassist manner, the public will tolerate it.

And for the illegals - they aren´t electors ...
so political parties don´t care too much about them - not about their living conditions, not about prejudices against them

And tell me why english must remain the only official language in america? Is english sent to america by gods sake? If the conditions change, why not accept spanish as a second official language at least in some states?

I thought that americans are more tolerant than Germans to inhabitants speaking other languages than english and practicing their culture, but i might have been wrong in this case. There seem to be almost the same prejudices as in Germany against white people with a southern culture ("why do they speak so loud", "I hate it, when the salesman can´t speak english, my heart breaks, this is in MY country!"; "Not everyone is like that, but ...", they´re rude people, this is my personal experience", "they lead crime statistics", "they´ve macho-culture")

All these "arguments" are SO FAMILIAR to me!

Last edited by GermanCiticen; 07-03-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Trust me NC prepared me for it
I would consider NC more of an introduction, not as much as preparation, lol.

Unfortunately.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
As well as I am prepared for all the horrible things I hear about Florida weather.

Yup, my town's temps were higher everyday for about the last 2 weeks then where I am looking to move in Florida. Heat/ Humidity got it...can take it... This is my attempt to bring it back to Florida weather ha!
As long as you know about the humidity - nothing like Charlotte gets, and also the "feels like" temps... if that doesn't scare you (we've hit weeks straight already of "feel like" temps in the 110's), then weather shouldnt be a problem! And if you can stand it for 6 months... is that doesnt scare you, FL weather will be a "breeze."

PS - Where are you, Fort Mill or Rock Hill?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Here's my just one row of townhouses in SC
1. native Charlottean NC
2. Ohio/NC
3. California/she's a chinese lady
4. NJ both with an adopted Chinese daughter
5. Canada & Maine
6. native Charlottean NC
7. native South Carolinian
8.France (black young man DR)

Non gated community, low to middle class, to wealthy.

Community set up as townhomes from 110,000 to houses 1/2 million plus.
All live in same community. Everyone here is from someplace else.

So same as you, live in a very diverse community. I also work for one of the largest international companies in the world. People who work at the North American headquarters are from every country in the world. Countries, I truly hadn't ever heard of.

Oh, oh, oh! I wanna say what my row of neighbors look like... and this includes us (white folk) ...lol...

1. dominican from NY
2. asians
3. asians
4. white - from NY
5. white - natives! that's us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. hispanic
7 hispanic
8. black
9. indian/pakistani
10. white
11. hispanic
12. black/white mixed family - florida natives - very nice!!!
13. whites - from NJ
14. hispanic
15 hispanic
16 asian
17. black

Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Even though FL feels like a cocktail of badly mixed drinks that were never meant to be mixed. FL=diversification gone bad!
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this one. I do concur though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies