Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I don't know. Why is anti-Americanism tolerated by Mexicans?

Some Mexicans fear threat to way of life with rapid growth of American residents | WFAA.com | World: Mexico (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/mexico/stories/DN-sellingsouthside_01int.ART.State.Edition1.4acdc63. html?ocp=1 - broken link)

-----------

They have every right. Look what happened when the Mexican Government allowed American settlers in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
No its not off as some people may think.
That's the wet dream of some American conservatives. That's how they envision US in the future.
That is mostly correct. However, what you fail to understand is the
1) Magnitude of this movement. "Old" Americans feel washed away by a tsunami of new immigrants who change the character of their neighborhoods and their life's foundation overall. They feel that their country is hijacked. If the numbers were lower everything would have been different.
2) New immigrants may not always occupy jobs of US citizens but they contribute directly to lowering standards and dragging wages down across the board. The reason is (again) the magnitude of influx of foreigners.
3) From what I noticed people are mostly upset with their governments for not doing enough to protect their country from this invasion. They ask what is the purpose of sovereignty if a country cannot protect its boarders? The size of the uncontrolled immigration is unmatched anywhere else on the planet.
-----------

The U.S. has advanced a lot.
Latins are not killed, beaten or conscripted by force to a certain death in the Civil War as Americans did with "Papist" Irishers.
Latins are not hanged like they did to more than 20 Italian immigrants in New Orleans 100 years ago.
Latins are not massacred and didn't suffered the same luck than Chinese coolies.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I agree that this generation of Latinos is no different than past immigrants to this country. Many whites in South Florida don't have issue with skin color, it has more to do with assimilation in South Florida, which they are upset about. (I know it will take one or two generations) If new immigrants knew english before they got here, or learned it within a year of being here. Signs of assimilation. I think many more people would be much more excepting of the different cultures.

When my mother who just became a citizen a few years ago, first came to this country she learned english. As a dual citizen myself, when I go to visit my other country I don't expect them to speak english to me. I speak their language, as a courtesy to that country, but also for myself to brush up on the language. But for many (not all) new comers to the US learning english isn't their first priority. As they really don't need to know english in the United States of America to make a living. And as long as immigrants don't learn the english language the assimilation process doesn't happen. Now what is happened in South florida is non spanish speaking people can have a hard time finding a job, because many jobs now cater to the non english speaking people, and now ask for bilingual speaking people for positions. Which rubs many people the wrong way when they are in the US which is majority english speaking (I know english isn't the legal language).

Immigrants arriving in the US (from Asia, Europe or America) are not "stripped and homogeneized" into a insipid and bland mass anymore.

Not necessary and not useful for immigrants.

Before, European immigrants arriving in the US were illiterates, had no culture whatsoever and for them it was shameful to speak in their language. They had no books in their language, no Dish Antennas, no Internet and above all, most immigrants never returned to their Old Country.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
But there are many "white" Hispanics in Miami. That's what we were discussing, not how our government classifies people.
--------------

South Florida Hispanics don't have anything to do with Hispanics in California, NY, SW or even Central Florida.

There's a large population of Ethnic Europeans expelled from their countries by populist and communist revolutions. There are many rich South Americans (Argentineans, Venezuelans, Brazilians) that invest their money there, and it's the only place in the US where Hispanic are the top layer of society. Hispanics are a majority in most of the top neighbourhoods of Southern Florida. Most professional are hispanics.

The Federal Penitenciary System classifies many mestizos as white for their own political agenda. If you ask me why, I don't have the foggiest idea.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 AM

36 posts, read 79,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Just an observation. Pick any post here written by someone dissatisfied with life in southeastern Florida (or increasingly, Orlando.) They'll go into the usual litany about traffic, rude people, bad schools, etc. etc. And almost without fail, they'll launch into a diatribe about how their neighborhood, or their city or their county, has been overrun by "those people." They'll link "those people" to derelict neighborhoods, blaring music at 3 AM, crime, drug dealing, and just about any other social ill that you can envision. They'll label "those people" as dirty, lazy, unintelligent, impolite, unwilling to assimilate and intent on destroying the country. For good humor, they'll usually even throw in a line or two of broken Spanish.

Of course, this is just as racist as anything to ever come out of George Wallace's mouth. But let's be honest here - if somebody on this forum started running off at the mouth about n-word this and n-word that, nobody would tolerate it. That person's account would probably be suspended. But whole threads here have become so hateful and vitriolic in their bashing of Latino immigrants (and Latino citizens in many cases, I might add) that they would surely make Lou Dobbs and Tom Tancredo blush.

So why is there a double standard on race? This happens in real-world Florida as well - Blacks seem to be "off limits" but hatred against Hispanics is fair game - but the anonymity of the Internet allows the racists - via sites such as this - to avoid any restraint or attempts at civil decorum.

I don't understand racisim at ALL! We are all human! Any kind of racist remark on any person of any ethnic background should be banned! I'm sorry this is happining to you.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 AM

20 posts, read 28,999 times
What does "Hispanic" mean anyway? Or for that matter, Latino, are they from Latin? Sorry, to me, illegals are just that. They did not immigrate here, if they did, they would be here legally.
They are a huge part of what's wrong with our economy. When Bush wouldn't close our borders after America was attacked, illegals started pouring in, banks were giving them home loans when they knew they couldn't afford it, getting benefits meant for American citizens, and hey, lets not forget that they don't need a license to drive!
I've gone into some places and had to look to make sure I'm in my country because nobody is speaking English!
If people come here and do things legally,WELCOME! If they sneak in over here in a car trunk, or in the desert at night or however, they've already broken our laws.
Just like other countries have their own culture, so does America and I just wish we would fight harder to keep it that way. I guess votes are more important than preserving our sovereignty.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 AM

486 posts, read 983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
Sorry, most of the "Hispanic whites" in America don't like anything like that blond woman. More like this woman:

Florida Missing Child Flyer (http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsearch/Flyers/Flyer2PicCC.asp?ID=13360&case_nbr= - broken link)

Who the U.S government classifies as white Hispanic. Most of the Hispanics in Miami look like this one too.
Actually, since Miami is largely cuban, I highly doubt most Hispanics there look like her because she looks very Aztec. Cubans don't look mestizo, they are more mulatto and/or "Italian" looking. That's what most Hispanic whites non-Mexican look like something like this lady:

(She's cuban, Niurka Marcos, if you don't know her)

or her, Greydis Gil, also Cuban.

That said, why is this relevant or important for this dicussion anyway?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM

486 posts, read 983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
Are people not allowed to state the truth now? Hispanics, many of whom are illegal, do cause many problems. And the only way to remedy the problem is to accept its existence.
You're stretching facts here. Is this a problem? Absolutely! Does that mean that as soon as you see a Hispanic person you have to assume they are a) illegal or b) Criminals causing problems in your neighborhood? NO. This is called ethnic profiling. We can certainly acknowledge that this is a problem and it exists but to label all Hispanics as troublemakers or illegals who come here and/or have no intent of learning the English language is insulting. (This is coming from an educated US Citizen Hispanic, just an FYI).

Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,997 times
Quote:
How great it is - you can be a blue eyed blond but check the hispanic box and the handouts come rolling in.
The overwhelming majority of Hispanics do not have Paul Newman like swimming pool blue eyes. Most Hispanics have eyes that are as black as the ace of spades.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:01 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
The overwhelming majority of Hispanics do not have Paul Newman like swimming pool blue eyes. Most Hispanics have eyes that are as black as the ace of spades.
no one eyes are black, dark brown but black, really lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies