Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,987,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
But there are many "white" Hispanics in Miami. That's what we were discussing, not how our government classifies people.
They're white when it benefits them to be white but they suddenly become "hispanic" when it comes to get free college or affirmative action. How great it is - you can be a blue eyed blond but check the hispanic box and the handouts come rolling in.

Hispanic was just a way for immigrant groups to cash in on affirmative action and quota programs. Otherwise it's a meaningless term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 AM

785 posts, read 1,053,446 times
I'm glad that you brought this up lollion892. I don't know about racism against blacks being "off limits" as you say, but we, as a country, seem to be making alot of progress in that area. However, I think alot of racism and bigotry has switched from being directed against blacks to being directed against hispanics.

I lived in LA up until last November and there are unbelieveable amounts of bigotry and racism directed against hispanic people. I now live in Chile, supposedly one of the richest countries in Latin America, because my wife is from here and she wanted to finish college. Life here is HELL! You've got a very snobby upper class, a small middle class and about 60% of the people are poor, and no matter how hard they try, most of them will always be poor because the opportunity for social mobility is very slim. I am a political scientist, speak English and Spanish fluently, and am a certified English teacher and I still can't get a job! Most people here can't afford to eat 3 meals a day or they can't afford to rent an apartment so they live with their parents until they are in their 30's or 40's. When looking for a job, your skills or your work ethic doesn't matter: what matters is who you know. Due to this experience as a highly educated person who can't find work in a third world country and is dying to return to America, I can only imagine the desperation that hispanic people with alot less education that live in countries even poorer than Chile feel.

I also feel that hispanic people help make America great by giving us a multiculural diversity that can't be compared with anywhere else I've been (and I've been to alot of different countries). I think that most hispanic people in the United States have an incredible work eithic probably because they feel that if they work hard, they can have enough money to buy a house, buy a car and be able to enjoy life without having to be stressed out all the time about money. Yeah it gets annoying when your hispanic neighboors blast their music at all hours of the night, I personally had this experinece myself. But I think alot of people overlook the good that hispanic people contribute to America as well.

So many people scapegoat hispanic immigrants for almost all of societies problems and complain that they don't adapt to American culture and they don't learn English ect... and they have no idea how hard these people's lives have been. For example, some immigrant from Mexico or El Salvador that had to stop going to school when he was like 10 to work in order to help his family make ends meet comes to the United States, works 3 jobs just so he and his wife can rent a modest apartment and send a little bit of money to their relatives. First of all, it is alot harder for this person, who has a 4th grade education, to learn a foreign language than it is for you or me. Second, after working 3 jobs, this guy is going to be tired as hell and want to spend a little time with his family; he probably isn't dying to go to an ESL class at the local high school. So it really irritates me when people get all bent out of shape and say "why doesn't this guy learn English: this is the United States of America and we speak English here!"

Second of all, no one comes to America just because they want to screw Americans over and take our jobs. On the contrary, I don't believe that hispanics, especially illegal immigrats, do the jobs that Americans are unwilling to do; we're willing to do them, just not for the crappy salaries that the illegal immigrants do them for. But do I blame the immigrant who left everything he knew in his native country, risking his life to cross the boarder, due to the fact that he simply couldn't make ends meet in his native country? No, I think the employers who would rather exploit desperate immigrants rather than pay a living wage so that they can buy a Mercedes to go along with their Bentley and a yacht to go along with their mansion deserve the blame here. Alot of people that bash illegal immigrants and accuse them of surpressing wages forget to take something into account; if they were granted permanent resident status there would be fair competition for jobs between immigrants and their American counterparts and wages wouldn't be surpressed as much.

Last edited by jfields; 07-04-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,684,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
I think it is tolerated but being a fellow hispanic that doesn't mean we have to lower ourselves to there levels. I feel like it's more ignored than tolerated. Like leoglivido said "it's better to be the head of the rat than the tail of the elephant". Sure some hispanics are the cause of crime but all breeds of people have good and bad.

I got a funny story my dad went fishing the other day with his friend and they started to fish at an area thats very popular. But these guys who had a huge confederate flag bigger than their rinky dink boat were already there fishing. After a while they were telling them to leave after they overheard them talking spanish. My dad ignored them knowing they want attention. So these ingnorant hicks yell out "why don't you go back to Mexico"! Which was kinda weird cus my dad is 6'2" with blonde hair green eyes obviously not Mexican but it's all the hick and thats all he knew to say. Then my dad says "I pay more income tax then you do if I go back to Cuba you wouldn't be able to get your food stamps"!

The truth is people can down talk hispanics all they want it's not going to change a thing. In the 1700's Spain lost Florida ever since we've been slowly taking it back

And that is an attitude that is reflected quite a lot by various hispanic advocacy groups. How is that any different then the rednecks your dad encountered? It's not. Racism/ethnocentrism/bigotry is not the provence of white guiys alone, you know....

Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,684,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I'm glad that you brought this up lollion892. I don't know about racism against blacks being "off limits" as you say, but we, as a country, seem to be making alot of progress in that area. However, I think alot of racism and bigotry has switched from being directed against blacks to being directed against hispanics.

I lived in LA up until last November and there are unbelieveable amounts of bigotry and racism directed against hispanic people. I now live in Chile, supposedly one of the richest countries in Latin America, because my wife is from here and she wanted to finish college. Life here is HELL! You've got a very snobby upper class, a small middle class and about 60% of the people are poor, and no matter how hard they try, most of them will always be poor because the opportunity for social mobility is very slim. I am a political scientist, speak English and Spanish fluently, and am a certified English teacher and I still can't get a job! Most people here can't afford to eat 3 meals a day or they can't afford to rent an apartment so they live with their parents until they are in their 30's or 40's. When looking for a job, your skills or your work ethic doesn't matter: what matters is who you know. Due to this experience as a highly educated person who can't find work in a third world country and is dying to return to America, I can only imagine the desperation that hispanic people with alot less education that live in countries even poorer than Chile feel.

So many people scapegoat hispanic immigrants for almost all of societies problems and complain that they don't adapt to American culture and they don't learn English ect... and they have no idea how hard these people's lives have been. For example, some immigrant from Mexico or El Salvador that had to stop going to school when he was like 10 to work in order to help his family make ends meet comes to the United States, works 3 jobs just so he and his wife can rent a modest apartment and send a little bit of money to their relatives. First of all, it is alot harder for this person, who has a 4th grade education, to learn a foreign language than it is for you or me. Second, after working 3 jobs, this guy is going to be tired as hell and want to spend a little time with his family; he probably isn't dying to go to an ESL class at the local high school. So it really irritates me when people get all bent out of shape and say "why doesn't this guy learn English: this is the United States of America and we speak English here!"

Second of all, no one comes to America just because they want to screw Americans over and take our jobs. On the contrary, I don't believe that hispanics, especially illegal immigrats, do the jobs that Americans are unwilling to do; we're willing to do them, just not for the crappy salaries that the illegal immigrants do them for. But do I blame the immigrant who left everything he knew in his native country, risking his life to cross the boarder, due to the fact that he simply couldn't make ends meet in his native country? No, I think the employers who would rather exploit desperate immigrants rather than pay a living wage so that they can buy a Mercedes to go along with their Bentley and a yacht to go along with their mansion deserve the blame here. Alot of people that bash illegal immigrants and accuse them of surpressing wages forget to take something into account; if they were granted permanent resident status there would be fair competition for jobs between immigrants and their American counterparts and wages wouldn't be surpressed as much.
I think everyone can understand and empathize with the desire to immigrate to the US especially from countries where there is no or little hope of social mobility. The problem lies with the sheer millions of them coming across (mostly illegally) and due to their large numbers they are not assimiliating as fast as other less represented minority groups.

Does that excuse any racism directed their way? Of course not. But it does explain the widening gap between hispanic immigrants and the rest of the US.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 AM

1,667 posts, read 4,726,135 times
Racism against Latino's tolerated????? I'd say reverse that. Have you ever been a white woman in a mostly Mexican store in Houston???.....OMG, they are often very racist in a reverse way.

Before you say this is not true you have to be in this stiuation to know it happens.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:38 AM

8,288 posts, read 13,619,657 times
this is why I wished this thread was never moved out of the Florida forum because we were adressing issues particular to hispanics in Florida since the vast majority of hispanics in my state are not Mexicans. Now this thread goes to crap talking about illegals, La Raza, blah , blah blah!

We were trying to address the intolerance that many whites have towards hispanics in Florida instead the vast majority being legal but I already see this turning into a Mexican bash fest.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:52 AM

6,204 posts, read 7,500,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I'm glad that you brought this up lollion892. I don't know about racism against blacks being "off limits" as you say, but we, as a country, seem to be making alot of progress in that area.
No its not off as some people may think.
Quote:
I lived in LA up until last November and there are unbelieveable amounts of bigotry and racism directed against hispanic people. I now live in Chile, supposedly one of the richest countries in Latin America, because my wife is from here and she wanted to finish college. Life here is HELL! You've got a very snobby upper class, a small middle class and about 60% of the people are poor, and no matter how hard they try, most of them will always be poor because the opportunity for social mobility is very slim.
That's the wet dream of some American conservatives. That's how they envision US in the future.
Quote:

That is mostly correct. However, what you fail to understand is the
1) Magnitude of this movement. "Old" Americans feel washed away by a tsunami of new immigrants who change the character of their neighborhoods and their life's foundation overall. They feel that their country is hijacked. If the numbers were lower everything would have been different.
2) New immigrants may not always occupy jobs of US citizens but they contribute directly to lowering standards and dragging wages down across the board. The reason is (again) the magnitude of influx of foreigners.
3) From what I noticed people are mostly upset with their governments for not doing enough to protect their country from this invasion. They ask what is the purpose of sovereignty if a country cannot protect its boarders? The size of the uncontrolled immigration is unmatched anywhere else on the planet.

Last edited by oberon_1; 07-04-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 AM

785 posts, read 1,053,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
this is why I wished this thread was never moved out of the Florida forum because we were adressing issues particular to hispanics in Florida since the vast majority of hispanics in my state are not Mexicans. Now this thread goes to crap talking about illegals, La Raza, blah , blah blah!

We were trying to address the intolerance that many whites have towards hispanics in Florida instead the vast majority being legal but I already see this turning into a Mexican bash fest.
YOu're right that it should have been posted in Florida because the majority of hispanics there are Cubans and Puerto Ricans from what I understand, becuase I'm not from Florida, unlike the rest of the United States. But alot of the things that the original poster described, happen all the time in California as well.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,987,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Racism against Latino's tolerated????? I'd say reverse that. Have you ever been a white woman in a mostly Mexican store in Houston???.....OMG, they are often very racist in a reverse way.

Before you say this is not true you have to be in this stiuation to know it happens.
True and how many Mexican owned businesses or any "hispanic" owned businesses will hire English speaking Americans?

I've seen many hispanic companies with 100% hispanic employees working in them. That is very blatant anti-American discrimination but they are allowed to discriminate however they please. They may as well put up signs "Help Wanted, No whites or blacks need apply"

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,079,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Just an observation. Pick any post here written by someone dissatisfied with life in southeastern Florida (or increasingly, Orlando.) They'll go into the usual litany about traffic, rude people, bad schools, etc. etc. And almost without fail, they'll launch into a diatribe about how their neighborhood, or their city or their county, has been overrun by "those people." They'll link "those people" to derelict neighborhoods, blaring music at 3 AM, crime, drug dealing, and just about any other social ill that you can envision. They'll label "those people" as dirty, lazy, unintelligent, impolite, unwilling to assimilate and intent on destroying the country. For good humor, they'll usually even throw in a line or two of broken Spanish.

Of course, this is just as racist as anything to ever come out of George Wallace's mouth. But let's be honest here - if somebody on this forum started running off at the mouth about n-word this and n-word that, nobody would tolerate it. That person's account would probably be suspended. But whole threads here have become so hateful and vitriolic in their bashing of Latino immigrants (and Latino citizens in many cases, I might add) that they would surely make Lou Dobbs and Tom Tancredo blush.

So why is there a double standard on race? This happens in real-world Florida as well - Blacks seem to be "off limits" but hatred against Hispanics is fair game - but the anonymity of the Internet allows the racists - via sites such as this - to avoid any restraint or attempts at civil decorum.
I am a mexican american, but don't take such comments personally, b/c they are usually refrring to the hordes of illegals that unfortunately make us americans of mexican descent look bad. the best solution would be to enforce immigration laws and send the wet folks back to mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies