Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM

552 posts, read 592,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Most do learn the language very quickly. In many cases they are far smarter then the average American who can't even speak their own language correctly. They come here, work hard and advance. While people who were born into all the opportunities this country has to offer sit an watch TV fat and drunk complaining. Moderator cut: Flaming/Trolling
Yeah, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Where do you live, Hialeah?
This could be many cities in Central and South FL, unfortunately. I have been in the store in Avalon Park and the lous speaker came on to make an announcement... everything was in spanish.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Interesting...seems that most people want to reduce this to a hatred of "illegal immigrants." I can't help but think that there's a healthy dose of dishonesty being shown here, since Florida simply does not have the same problem with illegal immigration as states such as Texas, Arizona, and California that border Mexico. The vast majority of Cubans are legal. Puerto Ricans are US citizens, the last time that I checked. And the majority of the remainder of Florida's Latino community consists of legal and documented immigrants - citizens and citizens-to-be - from Central and South America. Florida's illegal alien community is relatively small, and it is not causing the state to fall apart at the seams.

So...can we stop the pretense? If hearing Spanish makes you cringe, you don't have a "problem with illegals" - you have a problem with people of a certain background, period. And my point is that, in this day and time, we should not hesitate in condemning this type of racism, bigotry, and intolerance. It is absolutely no different than the woman who, upon seeing a group of middle-class Black teenagers, instinctively clutches her purse in fear.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Interesting...seems that most people want to reduce this to a hatred of "illegal immigrants." I can't help but think that there's a healthy dose of dishonesty being shown here, since Florida simply does not have the same problem with illegal immigration as states such as Texas, Arizona, and California that border Mexico. The vast majority of Cubans are legal. Puerto Ricans are US citizens, the last time that I checked. And the majority of the remainder of Florida's Latino community consists of legal and documented immigrants - citizens and citizens-to-be - from Central and South America. Florida's illegal alien community is relatively small, and it is not causing the state to fall apart at the seams.

So...can we stop the pretense? If hearing Spanish makes you cringe, you don't have a "problem with illegals" - you have a problem with people of a certain background, period. And my point is that, in this day and time, we should not hesitate in condemning this type of racism, bigotry, and intolerance. It is absolutely no different than the woman who, upon seeing a group of middle-class Black teenagers, instinctively clutches her purse in fear.
I was reading your post and it made me think. Since Puerto Rico is a US territory, what difference is there between the PR flag wavers and "Texas nationalism" (don't mess with texas, the republic of texas, etc.). I find the Texas behavior more annoying and pointless, myself.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
that's funny because Puerto Ricans are US citizens by birth so basically it's a cultural clash with you.
Moving to Orlando from Miami has made me relive the animosity I went through as a American of Cuban descent growing up in Miami during the early 80s. I can remember the refugee jokes even though I was born here, the "will the last American leaving Miami please bring the flag" billboard on I-95 heading north out of Dade County. The xenephobia expressed by many "whites' that the Cubans were taking over and this is not America anymore to as recently as Tom Tancredo and his buffonery stating that Miami is a third world country.

Now tell me why should someone of another culture not "race" since hispanic is not a race be friendly to whites when you demoralize as human beings simply because we have different cultures and a language?
I live in Orlando too. The PR's (not all - many from NY) are not nice, in fact many are very rude and arrogant. Sense of entitlement. Almost all my caucasian neighbors (all 3 of us, lol) and many of my friends and family say the EXACT same thing. Are we all just "seeing things?" I think not. But that's not to say there arent some really good ones too.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
The Latino immigrants of this generation are no different than any immigrants to America in the past. They come here to establish a better life for themselves and their families, obey our laws and pay taxes, and enrich our collective society with their traditions and customs. The only anti-American forces in this debate are the people who want to wall themselves up in their 99% white communities (which makes me wonder why they haven't moved to Nebraska or Kentucky yet, as opposed to staying in South Florida and being miserable because they have to - *gasp* - live around people with a different skin tone...)
You need to qualify that by inserting the word "legal," otherwise they aren't law abiding, they are criminals for being in the country illegally. And that goes for any race, creed, color, ethnicity, etc. If they are here illegally, they are criminals. Irish, Russian, Haitian, Mexican, or Canadian, it's all the same. If they are here illegally they are criminals and need to be deported.

By the way, I live in an upscale gated community. My neighbors are Brits, Asian Indian, Chinese, black, Hispanic, and some of your run of the mill "American" mixed in for good measure. Not all gated communities are the bastions of white supremecy you are implying.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:

Correct and Mecklenberg County in NC was at one time 3rd highest in the nation for illegal Mexican immigrants 250,000 estimated in the metro area. I don't care what language they choose to speak, but to insist the schools provide spanish speaking teachers it a bit much to me. So much so...let me explain. To be a "substitute teacher" who is BI Lingual in Spanish in Charlotte NC, all you have to be is a high school graduate. However if you are not bi lingual and want to be a substitute teacher you must have a teaching degree. Racism reversed?

If you want to see what can happen with uncontrolled immigration into one area , visit Concord NC and see what happened to the original part of town.
I lived there, I saw it, I dealt with it, and saw my own mother in law turned down for medicade (she's on 700.00 a month SS) because the county ran out of medicade benefits, I'll let you guess why.

I'm not afraid of anyone.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
The problem I have with TODAYS immigrants is that they are illegal. When most of our previous generations came, the border was open. Hence no crime committed.

A crime is a crime is a crime, no getting around it. Also previous immigrants from earlier times, didn't come here and ask for teachers to be provided in their schools who speak their language (IE I give you Charlotte NC and spanish) previous immigrants didn't ask for a hand out and or assistance.
Section 8 housing, free medical, food stamps and the like.

Therein lies a huge difference when people start quoting about the immigrants that founded this country. Huge huge huge difference.

ASSIMILATE it can be your friend.

People want to come here, fine, do it legally, learn English, and don't use America's welfare system as your means to survive. America isn't asking you to forego your own language and your own customs, but don't expect the US to keep bending over backwards to accomodate yours.

LOL! Oh man! Wait til you get to Florida!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Those programs didn't exist yet when the waves of European immigrants were moving here.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people on Section 8 were born right here in America.
Maybe in your county

Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Illegal immigrants are not starting car dealerships or pool companies or moving companies and employing thousands of employes. They don't meet payrolls and paying millions in taxes. I don't care about illegal's in regard to what I said, they don't apply. Immigrants come here and are successful and those born here don't have a clue to the value their own country. That was my point. If you want to blame all your problems on immigrants you are welcome to do so. It won't make your life any better, Moderator cut: Personal Attack/Trolling/Flaming It's just a convenient excuse.
er wow....I don't have any problems let alone "all my problems"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies