Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:36 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
The question should be "Why is racism tolerated". When we finally accept that people are different but still people with similar dreams and aspirations then we will all be in a better place.
Im with you Bob ; we all bleed the same color blood . The term 'Race' is a man-made invention which fuels prejudice , hatred, discord, and pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
What are "hispanic whites"? Are they similar to "black whites" or "spanish whites" or "Asian whites"? I've just never heard of such terms before.
I guess you haven't been to the Miami Forum.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,038,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
J

So why is there a double standard on race? This happens in real-world Florida as well - Blacks seem to be "off limits" but hatred against Hispanics is fair game - but the anonymity of the Internet allows the racists - via sites such as this - to avoid any restraint or attempts at civil decorum.
I don't think people hate hispanics. I think people have a real problem with illegals, and why not? They are breaking the law, which makes them criminals.

I also think most people have a real problem when someone moves into their country and will not even attempt to speak the language.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,215,697 times
Than you should ask the question why do latinos hate white people too. Reverse racism is just as bad if not worse. I hate going into a store and the cashier cannot even understand a bit of English. Its frustrating and I feel like I'm not in America anymore. Also why are they so LOUD? It seems everywhere I go they are almost yelling when they speak, are they deaf?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,786 times
Is there considered a difference between "Latino's" and "Mexicans" ?
Just wondering. Here we consider them different.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 PM

552 posts, read 593,902 times
Mexicans are considered "lower class" than other groups (Cubans, Puerto Ricans, blah blah blah...) but they are Latino too. I have NO problem with most Mexicans. Many of them are hard working, good people. There are some bad apples, but there are bad apples in every race.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 PM

256 posts, read 479,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Here's a crash course for you:

Hispanic white:

black Hispanic:

Asian Hispanic:

They all look a bit different than Jorge, the Guatemalan guy cutting the lawn, eh?
Sorry, most of the "Hispanic whites" in America don't like anything like that blond woman. More like this woman:

http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/MCICSearch/GetImage.asp?FIN=275417 (broken link)

Florida Missing Child Flyer (http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsearch/Flyers/Flyer2PicCC.asp?ID=13360&case_nbr= - broken link)

Who the U.S government classifies as white Hispanic. Most of the Hispanics in Miami look like this one too.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:43 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times
Quote:
Just an observation. Pick any post here written by someone dissatisfied with life in southeastern Florida (or increasingly, Orlando.) They'll go into the usual litany about traffic, rude people, bad schools, etc. etc. And almost without fail, they'll launch into a diatribe about how their neighborhood, or their city or their county, has been overrun by "those people." They'll link "those people" to derelict neighborhoods, blaring music at 3 AM, crime, drug dealing, and just about any other social ill that you can envision. They'll label "those people" as dirty, lazy, unintelligent, impolite, unwilling to assimilate and intent on destroying the country. For good humor, they'll usually even throw in a line or two of broken Spanish.

Of course, this is just as racist as anything to ever come out of George Wallace's mouth. But let's be honest here - if somebody on this forum started running off at the mouth about n-word this and n-word that, nobody would tolerate it. That person's account would probably be suspended. But whole threads here have become so hateful and vitriolic in their bashing of Latino immigrants (and Latino citizens in many cases, I might add) that they would surely make Lou Dobbs and Tom Tancredo blush.

So why is there a double standard on race? This happens in real-world Florida as well - Blacks seem to be "off limits" but hatred against Hispanics is fair game - but the anonymity of the Internet allows the racists - via sites such as this - to avoid any restraint or attempts at civil decorum.
"Latino immigrants"

Did you mean Illegal immigrants? There is a difference from "Latino immigrants".

Old 07-03-2009, 03:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,923,716 times
Quote:
Just an observation. Pick any post here written by someone dissatisfied with life in southeastern Florida (or increasingly, Orlando.)
An interesting observation about SE Florida is the relative success level of Hispanics. In Broward County for example, median income, poverty levels, school performance, etc, is about on par with "anglo" groups. In some communities like Hollywood, Miramar, and Pembroke Pines, they are acutally a more "affluent" community overall than "Anglo" community in these cities. There aren't many Hispanics in the truly "rich" parts but the highest concentrations of Hispanics are in the middle to upper middle class sections of the county, mostly suburban areas with low crime, "good" schools, moderate to high home costs, etc and they also tend to be a conservative voting block when compared to other groups in my county. Still, you see many xenophobic rants about communities like Weston and Pembroke Pines where supposedly nobody speaks English and it would be ok if they came "legally" (many are acutally first generation and US citizens). That being said, Hispanics are also pretty well integrated into the community and you will find many of them in lower-middle class areas, or really all areas. They don't exceed more than 40% of the population in any part of the county, but there also aren't many areas that have under 15%.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM

56 posts, read 143,861 times
I have nothing against other races, BUT the ones I find racists are the Puerto Ricans. They never are friendly to whites and never smile, are VERY cliqueie with their own race and stick together, Not Good. I think they all need a good kick in the pants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies