Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,909,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Pentagon emphasized that its initial focus would be on providing relief supplies, but announced Wednesday that it would also begin efforts to rebuild the Georgian military.

Bush takes tougher stance on Georgian conflict - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 11,965 times
Over than 90% of people that live in South Ossetia are russian citizens, and 1500 of them were killed by Saakashvilly at one night. Russian 58th Army came to free Chinval only after 16 hours of it's bombing.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 AM

728 posts, read 1,680,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderVK View Post
Over than 90% of people that live in South Ossetia are russian citizens, and 1500 of them were killed by Saakashvilly at one night. Russian 58th Army came to free Chinval only after 16 hours of it's bombing.
Although I feel that Georgia was baited by the Kremlin, Saakashvilly made a terrible miscalculation. I think and hope this should keep Georgia away from NATO. The last thing we need is to sign a mutual defense pact with an unstable,former USSR republic. For that matter, I think American and NATO interests should stop at Poland and the Czech Republic. It's time to quite meddling in the Russians' backyard and establish a buffer zone, if for nothing else to cool things down for awhile.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,909,045 times
South Ossetians are NOT Russian however....Russia simply offered passports to them,they were still supposedly Georgians.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 AM

10 posts, read 11,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
South Ossetians are NOT Russian however....Russia simply offered passports to them,they were still supposedly Georgians.
They exchanged USSR passports for Russian passports as me.
They never in theirs life were Georgians.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,508,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Although I feel that Georgia was baited by the Kremlin, Saakashvilly made a terrible miscalculation. I think and hope this should keep Georgia away from NATO. The last thing we need is to sign a mutual defense pact with an unstable,former USSR republic. For that matter, I think American and NATO interests should stop at Poland and the Czech Republic. It's time to quite meddling in the Russians' backyard and establish a buffer zone, if for nothing else to cool things down for awhile.

before WWII, America stated that their interests stopped at hawaii. can't find the quote at the moment but look what happened. Japanese invaded the Phillipines!

NATO/EU influence should keep spreading. In military strategy, you always want to be on the offensive. only defend when absolutely necessary. When u go on the defensive, you lower morale and limit your options.

Spreading NATO/EU influence creates a bigger buffer. Cooling things down will make you look weak in the Russians' eyes. They rape anything that looks weak.

If you quit meddling in Russia's backyard, how are you going get the oil out? Energy demands in America demand their oil. You do not want to russia's slave like germany.

It's about oil, money, and power.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:25 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,218,541 times
Well since we are playing... look into the crystal ball, I'll bite.

Georgian support by the west will be cursory at best and likely in the form of simple aid but I doubt actual confrontation will take place in the military sense.

Georgia will eventually be divided as Kosovo and Serbia did from their parent state, into an independent state allied with Russia and a smaller Georgian state. This guarantees Russian desires to have a land access to the Middle East and Iranian energy supplies.

The US will hurl words, seek UN sanctions but I doubt will push too hard because in doing so they risk quashing any attempts at preventing Iran's nuclear aspirations. Since Iran appears to be a larger tactical target at the moment, we will capitulate to Russia on this.

In a broader scope, the EU which relies heavily on Russian energy sources will also hurl a few words but ultimately give in. At the same time, those smaller states that have attempted to resist American influence will likely be embolden further, so I would expect to hear more out of the mouth of Chavez types around the world.

In the end, we will have little say in what the outcome will be.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM

31,690 posts, read 41,120,828 times
Quote:
I know there are several threads on the conflict in Georgia and South Ossetia. As such, there are some very informative posts on the subject.
So, to get down to business, what do you guys/gals think will happen in Georgia. Do you think that Russia will annex Georgia, then perhaps take aim on Ukraine? Or do you think that Russia will occupy parts of Georgia and send a message to the leadership.
My take: I think Russia will eventually bargain with Washington and NATO. Part of the bargain will involve the missile defense system in the Czech Republic. I don't see the US backing out of their plans to install interceptors, so other concessions will be made. I doubt very seriously that the US and NATO will become militarily involved...in fact, I think Saakashvili probably frustrated the west by playing into Putin's hands. More than that, the US and NATO don't wish to pick a fight with Russia over Georgia. So, I don't think we will see a replay of the 1999 NATO bombing in Serbia. All in all, this thing gets wrapped up by diplomacy and some concessions from Washington.
Remember both the missle defense system in the Czech Republic and Poland need to be approved by Parliament in each country. Prior to the offensive there was widespread majority public support against it in each country and after this it will probably only grow. Each government has a narrow hold on power and I have posted links (other threads) saying it is likey neither parliament will approve. Also not all of NATO is in favor of and most noticeably the support is weaker in Western Europe. Russia has sent a strong message about approving it to both countries. Do you really think Iran is targeting Poland or The Czech Republic in any scenario?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:29 AM

133 posts, read 338,525 times
Quote:
Moreover, all these NATO's efforts are rather useless. What are they for? For defending from Russian nuclear attack? there is no use in sending this attack over the Czech and Europe. Open your globe and see that Russia has the direct border with the US on Far East and nothing would prevent those bombs from setting off from there... Moreover!! Nobody's going to!

They'd better spend all these money, oh no, !your money!, for something helpful... charity for instance...

Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 AM

31,690 posts, read 41,120,828 times
Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation: Missile Defense in Europe Falls to Next Administration (http://www.armscontrolcenter.org/policy/missiledefense/articles/073008_md_update/ - broken link)
On July 8, the United States and the Czech Republic signed an initial agreement to build a missile defense radar on Czech soil. However, the agreement has to be ratified by the Czech parliament and perhaps even survive a public referendum. According to Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek, the widespread unpopularity of the plan could bring down the government this fall. Topolanek's three-party governing coalition controls just 100 of the 200 seats in the Czech parliament's lower chamber, which is not enough to ratify the agreement. An opinion poll last month showed that nearly 70 percent of Czechs oppose placing a radar on Czech soil

The above is from the link.

This is one of the links referred to in my previous post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies