Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times

Advertisements

Putin blames the US for the Russian/Georgia conflict. Anyone want to jump the bandwagon early and blame this on Bush, too?

FOXNews.com - Putin Accuses America of Ordering Georgia Conflict to Influence U.S. Elections - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
i was actually expecting another "terrorist" attack

Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
The last paragraph, especially the last sentence pretty much makes the whole article moot.

The report also quotes Putin as saying he suspects somebody in the U.S. provoked the conflict to give one of the candidates an edge in the U.S. presidential election. He apparently did not name a party or candidate, or provide evidence.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM

53 posts, read 120,303 times
It's Russia's fault since they feels that it can just invade another country because the country is within in it's sphere of influence. It is totally understandable that the Georgians wished to put down the sepratist militia and "government" since it is an uprising within their nation and as I stated Russia feels they can interfer since the country is within or was within it's sphere of influence. The conflict has alot to do with the fact that Georgia, the Ukraine, and other former Soviet Union states trying to become more assosciated with the Western countries and join NATO. Also Russia has always had a thing for Georgia, they really don't like each other in general.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,257 times
Well, i guess it's time for another 9/11 so that Guliani not McCain can be nominated. Hoooray, i'm gonna die. Yehuuuuu!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0ckets View Post
It's Russia's fault since they feels that it can just invade another country because the country is within in it's sphere of influence. It is totally understandable that the Georgians wished to put down the sepratist militia and "government" since it is an uprising within their nation and as I stated Russia feels they can interfer since the country is within or was within it's sphere of influence. The conflict has alot to do with the fact that Georgia, the Ukraine, and other former Soviet Union states trying to become more assosciated with the Western countries and join NATO. Also Russia has always had a thing for Georgia, they really don't like each other in general.
Georgia broke the ceasefire and invaded South Ossetia. Russia came in to defend it's people.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0ckets View Post
Also Russia has always had a thing for Georgia, they really don't like each other in general.
It not the truth. Russian always were respectful to Georgians. The problem is created by the Georgian government.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anybody View Post
It not the truth. Russian always were respectful to Georgians. The problem is created by the Georgian government.
LOL You have a strange concept of respect. The Russians while still the USSR treated georgia like a tool. Used them for all they were worth and gave very little in return. Pretty much the same story with all the USSR sattelite nations. Its no small wonder that many of the former are not on good terms with Russia.
That said Georgia fired the first shots. They grabbed the tiger by the tail and it bit them. I think they expected the USA to rescue them.
I don't see this as a US Gov plot to start a conflict.
#1 no advantage in it for us.
#2 almost impossible logistics wise to support it.
#3 we have our hands full already.
Read some history Russia has never had a problem making excuses for its actions regardless of how far fetched.
Yugoslavia?
Czec
E.Germany
Or how about why they raped their way accross Europe during WWII?
The victims deserved it because they helped the germans. Funny most the countries the USSR liberated didn't feel liberated at all.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
I'm pretty much on the fence as to the cause of this war.

Georgia is right in the sense that very few countries let parts of it break off just like that. At the bare minimum there is an extensive political process before that happens and often wars will be fought to prevent that.

Russia is right because many of the people in the invaded regions are legally Russian citizens and most countries based on ethnicity tend to desire to protect those of the same ethnicity that reside in other nations. If there was a conflict in Switzerland and the Swiss government was fighting with Swiss Italians that wished to either form their own country or join there is a possibility that Italy would become militarily involved. Such an event is unlikely to happen in the first place, but Russia is not the first to do what they did.

What strikes me as fishy about this whole thing, is that the Russian military has promised to pull out troops several times and they didn't when they said they would. Also, many Russians are blaming the US and NATO for this. Rather than justifying their own actions they'd rather play the "What about Kosovo" card or blame their invasion on Georgia trying to ally with the West. Also, it seems that a lot of Russians are feeling rather emboldened about this invasion and seem to be stepping up the saber rattling. Although this last statement is mostly based on readings of translated editorials and speaking with a few Russians I know over the internet and is not necessarily representative, it does seems frightfully true.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 AM

133 posts, read 338,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankarol View Post
Is it really true that US people support Russia in its agression towards Georgia and independence proclamation of two separatists regions? That is what I have found on the followint voting site:

Georgia-Vs-Russia.com poll. Will you say “NO” to war? What is right in this conflict? Tell your opinion, vote for the right country! Discuss about Abkhazia and South Ossetia!

Please, scroll down to see country statistics.

It is very strange, because I suspected that because of consolidate positions of NATO the results of voting should be completely different.
Well, what did you expect? Not only stupid people but there are smart ones on this planet as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies