Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 10:41 AM

47,007 posts, read 26,062,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I disagree. In my opinion, people need to stand up to this nonsense (literally -- it made no sense) -- and then we will see if the blood clinics value being inclusive no matter what as opposed to their stated purpose in saving lives.

Again, giving blood is VOLUNTARY. Why would anyone choose to tick off a volunteer for something so stupid?
Why would anyone decline a simple, life-saving act to grandstand over a single checkbox? Does it break his bones or pick his pocket? It's 0.5 seconds of your life - check it, make a small chuckle, move on.

Garrulous old fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 10:42 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,610,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder what he looks like.

His name's Leslie, so there's no help there in determining his gender.

Maybe he looks like Pat, and they don't want to put the additional burden on their staff to try to determine gender.

Keeps the staff from having to ask the extremely uncomfortable position of someone who appears to be pregnant. THAT'S awkward.
Check the box, 'male', what more needs to be said?

Old 06-19-2022, 10:43 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,503,346 times
Quote:
I disagree. In my opinion, people need to stand up to this nonsense (literally -- it made no sense) -- and then we will see if the blood clinics value being inclusive no matter what as opposed to their stated purpose in saving lives.

Again, giving blood is VOLUNTARY. Why would anyone choose to tick off a volunteer for something so stupid?
Because before our age of social media, it would have been no more than another stupid question. Not some political statement.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
So I am really shaking my head over this.

The last time, if filled out a form -- one form for everyone -- there was a section that started out, in bold, "IF you a female, please answer the following questions: . . . ."

So what is wrong with continuing that? I don't see how that kind of wording would offend anyone.
I've encountered both. Guess what? I checked "no" and carried on with my life, and nothing bad happened. It was the most amazing thing. Of course, I was merely interested in getting stuff done that day and not so much in scoring my 15 seconds if Internet fame because people didn't design their forms to my personal preference.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
So I am really shaking my head over this.

The last time, if filled out any kind of medical form -- only one form for everyone, btw -- there was a section that started out, in bold, "IF you a female, please answer the following questions: . . . ."

So what is wrong with continuing that? I don't see how that kind of wording would offend anyone.

I know a man who's 24 years old, transgender, had a baby when he was 20 before transitioning. So, if he's at the eye doctor and they ask the question "have you ever been pregnant", "have you ever had a C section", "have you ever had gestational diabetes" etc., he'd answer yes.

Although looking at him, you'd NEVER guess that. NEVER.

It's a damn medical form. Just answer no. It's not like they're requiring him to pay for a pregnancy test.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:47 AM

19,852 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why would anyone decline a simple, life-saving act to grandstand over a single checkbox? Does it break his bones or pick his pocket? It's 0.5 seconds of your life - check it, make a small chuckle, move on.

Garrulous old fool.
Because maybe, like probably many people, he is disgusted with all this woke sh*t and decided that he was not going to put up with it when he wasn't forced to do.

Much of this woke stuff, we DO need to put up with and just keep our opinions to ourselves if we encounter it when we are out in public -- but that doesn't mean that most of us like it or approve of it. (But we will certainly show our displeasure when we vote this November.)

Last edited by katharsis; 06-19-2022 at 11:00 AM..

18,853 posts, read 8,503,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Garrulous old fool.
Because he read about and then latched onto this reading and participating in online political/social media. And will repeat the encounter on social/political media to boost my social/tribal score.

8,274 posts, read 3,516,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder if the clinic would have needed to "check under the hood" if the guy had answered the question with a N/A ?

There is no doubt that this nonsense will soon be coming to the US. I just hope at my next checkup my Doctor doesn't give me a pap smear instead of the typical hernia or prostrate test.... Yikes!

What is it with the "powers that be" that are pushing common sense aside for a tiny fraction of the populace? How many transgendered people are out there? Wouldn't it be easier to just add a box to the form? Male ? Female? X ? The X types would then talk it over with the medical staff.
At least you can get one. Here they are still having the women go into the restroom with a long qtip and get their own culture because of covid.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Because maybe, like probably many people, he is disgusted with all this woke sh*t and decide that he was not going to put up with it when he wasn't forced to do.
Hurt his widdle feelings, did it? He's taking his ball and going home?

Nothing in this thread has made me see him as anything but a grandstander, deciding to die on the dumbest hill available and wasting the time of useful people in the process.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:59 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,610,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I know a man who's 24 years old, transgender, had a baby when he was 20 before transitioning. So, if he's at the eye doctor and they ask the question "have you ever been pregnant", "have you ever had a C section", "have you ever had gestational diabetes" etc., he'd answer yes.

Although looking at him, you'd NEVER guess that. NEVER.

It's a damn medical form. Just answer no. It's not like they're requiring him to pay for a pregnancy test.
So, medical forms will need to be updated.

Are you an X Chromosome = female
Are you and XY Chromosome = male

Fill out the rest of the form appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies