Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 04:36 AM

38,748 posts, read 26,567,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, no, it's not really the blood bank's loss.

It's a loss to a person who needs blood to survive.

There's a bigger picture here, and considering how much blood this man has donated over his life, it appears it was very important to him to realize he was saving lives.

Until he had to answer whether he was pregnant or not, on a form, and then it wasn't important at all to him.

What was more important to him, as you say, was being "whiney".

It's not really that simple.

We either draw a line somewhere or we don't.

If we don't, then anything the norms police do, no matter how stupid or Orwellian, will go unquestioned.

An inability or unwillingness to challenge that which is clearly idiotic is probably just as dangerous to a society as a depleted blood supply.

Hopefully he wasn't a CMV-negative O-negative donor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 04:41 AM

19,895 posts, read 10,314,912 times
I can't give blood anyway, but I would hope some would be there if I needed it.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:01 AM

23,802 posts, read 17,481,196 times
Pregnant with what?

Ideas?

Scottish highlander Embryo?

Sheep embryo?

Great comedy act or real business scenario. Boss hires his inept nephew as a programmer. The nephew, unfamiliar with how to program logic, requires a man to reveal if he is pregnant with child. Workers so fear the insulting the boss's nephew they let the question stand and suffer the blowback to the company's reputation.

Form should ask men the date of his last menses to confirm pregnancy.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:06 AM

1,934 posts, read 575,499 times
It's amazing there is anyone attempting to justify this nonsense.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:13 AM

20,272 posts, read 9,789,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
It's amazing there is anyone attempting to justify this nonsense.
I stopped being "amazed" by this months ago. Now it is just a matter of me opening C-D with the thought of "I wonder what the latest woke craziness is for today?"

Old 06-20-2022, 07:23 AM

15,843 posts, read 7,875,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm A-. They want my blood. But, everytime they learn that I lived in Germany during their specific timeline, they carry on about "Mad Cow" disease despite how long it has been since I lived there. Fine by me, I hate giving blood. I only gave out of guilt. WA state was the only state that didn't care about my 3 years in Germany.
The Germany prohibition for veterans and civilian employees of US Armed Forces has been lifted https://blogs.va.gov/VAntage/83743/f...ood-donations/

The ban for people who lived in Britain for a certain period in the 1980's is still in effect. This is an FDA controlled ban.

The ban was in place because there was no firm data on how long it could take for mad cow disease to manifest, there is no cure, and it is a really horrible way to die.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:59 AM

18,956 posts, read 8,646,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Much of what is done with and during medical encounters is teaching. Sometimes how or what patients think and/or feel need some related educational adjustment. These are medical opinions and decisions, not political.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:07 AM

30,618 posts, read 24,035,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
So I am really shaking my head over this.

The last time, if filled out any kind of medical form -- only one form for everyone, btw -- there was a section that started out, in bold, "IF you a female, please answer the following questions: . . . ."

So what is wrong with continuing that? I don't see how that kind of wording would offend anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why would anyone decline a simple, life-saving act to grandstand over a single checkbox? Does it break his bones or pick his pocket? It's 0.5 seconds of your life - check it, make a small chuckle, move on.

Garrulous old fool.
You both have a point. Is it possible to agree on that? On the form, 'If you are a female, please fill out these questions..." is not pointless. Also, if you're there to give blood, just skip the question, and give the damn blood.

Now, if they insisted (which they did) that he must fill out, as a 60 year old male....or we could just bypass the argument about male and female and look at the guy's AGE, then I would understand why he decided to point it out.

As a volunteer, giving something of my own, I think I can control the terms I will choose to acknowledge or not. I will not give in to delusions that males can have babies. If the medical center needs blood that badly, then stop playing this stupid game.

It's not necessary to ask a 60 year old male if he's going to have a child soon. It's stupid. And it would make me think, were I a 60 year old male, if they can't handle deciphering the information put on the form that no, I have zero chance of needing to check that box, then maybe I don't trust them to take my blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
For one, female is more apt to have iron deficiency anemia.
That's true. I totally forgot about that. I remember one time being denied to give blood because they did that iron test in the blue liquid, and apparently, I didn't pass the test. First time in my life I ever thought about iron and deficiencies, as it had never been brought to my attention before that.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:02 AM

6,369 posts, read 3,066,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I disagree. In my opinion, people need to stand up to this nonsense
Yep! Conservatives staying neutral on these issues is the reason we are where we are...

Old 06-20-2022, 11:28 AM

37,731 posts, read 61,950,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Doesn't sound "inclusive" if they don't accept how 60 year old men think.
Yes, thank you.

Because one person out of every 100,000 has gender dysphoria, now we must all act like we are all somewhere on that spectrum.

As a man in my 60s, I am offended by this turn of events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies