Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 198 39.52%
No 254 50.70%
Unsure 49 9.78%
Voters: 501. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 07:20 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,833,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
For warmongers and armchair generals, it does. For everyone else not cheering on a nuclear holocaust, it doesn't.

The only solution to this war is concessions and peace talks. This is already a regional proxy war with Iran joining the party.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulidd...terly-cynical/

And Israel hates Iran, so they are watching this Russia-Iran alliance very carefully.

So a large country with a large military walks on over to their small neighbor and attacks them without cause, illegally takes over land and now the only way to end is "peace" talks and concessions of that said land? That's where you will get a lot of people who will not give in. Nobody puts up with that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 08:02 AM

25,706 posts, read 17,477,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow. Theres been some insane arguments on Russian TV. Its pretty clear that theyre bracing folks that they are going to lose Kherson. They are most likely taking some brutal loses here. But their TV folks got into a out and out screaming match.
Ironically the guy they are all mad it is right. Hitting civilian targets instead of military ones just escalates the war.
The Russian army first warned the Kherson population of impending invasion and urged evacuation. Now they are using the evacuating civilians as shields by hiding among them.
The end result may be an easy re-taking of Kherson, but the city may be full of booby traps and few Russian soldiers will be found there.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:22 AM

15,142 posts, read 8,706,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
For warmongers and armchair generals, it does. For everyone else not cheering on a nuclear holocaust, it doesn't.

The only solution to this war is concessions and peace talks. This is already a regional proxy war with Iran joining the party.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulidd...terly-cynical/

And Israel hates Iran, so they are watching this Russia-Iran alliance very carefully.
That’s exactly right. The armchair warriors here behave like this is a football game, and it’s totally disgusting.

But nothing will break through the mind control they’re under …. not even when Ukraine calls upon AL Qaeda and Taliban mercenaries to join them in fighting the Russians. If they’re willing to ignore the Nazi Azov Regiment and it’s history of killing civilians over the past 8 years, I’m guessing they’ll have a good excuse for supporting Muslim terrorists too.

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi tells it straight when he says that the NATO controlled Ukrainian government is responsible for triggering the conflict by reneging on peace agreements made with Russia regarding the security of the Donbas region it has continued military attacks on over the past 8 years, with thousands of civilians killed.

My main problem with Ukraine is their dogged insistence in rejecting any form of peace negotiations. They have made it clear they will not even entertain peace talks, while Russia keeps offering to discuss a peace plan, and an end to the conflict. It was the same situation prior to Russia engaging in military action. Weeks before, Russia made a very reasonable offer to avoid this conflict altogether, and that was rejected by Ukraine. Clearly, the western entities who control Ukraine’s puppet government wanted this conflict.

And it’s easy to see who the real bad guys are here … they are the ones who continue attempting to attack that nuclear power facility, which could cause a massive humanitarian disaster affecting areas far beyond the region of conflict. There have been two recent attempts by Ukraine to destroy that facility, both of which have been stopped by the Russians guarding it.

This is clearly examples of indiscriminate acts of terrorism by Ukraine, and should be condemned by the entire international community, who seem to be turning a blind eye.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:31 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,248,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Right, impose martial law on the citizens who just “voluntary voted” for joining Russia. What a great move by the-. Russia is unraveling!
1) I'm fairly sure Zelensky put Ukraine under martial law since the beginning of the war. He also prohibited Ukrainian men from leaving the country.
2) The vote wasn't 100%. A fifth of the population is basically anti-Russia. Which is more than the Japanese population of California in 1941.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Russia is about to lose Kherson, a prized city that was stolen by them! They can’t even fight the front line and hold their ground. But the fans keep harping on cruise missiles hitting power plants and apartments.
I have always believed NATO could win a conventional war against Russia if they wanted to. Who would believe otherwise? What was unclear was how much support/weapons NATO would give to Ukraine. How much support Russia's allies would give. And whether NATO would be willing to risk WWIII/nuclear war to win.

I've been a bit surprised by how far America is willing to go to maintain American hegemony/unipolarity. I'm also surprised that China hasn't done more to help Russia.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-20-2022 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-20-2022, 08:41 AM

23,175 posts, read 12,325,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I've been a bit surprised by how far America is willing to go to maintain American hegemony/unipolarity. I'm also surprised that China hasn't done more to help Russia.
I don't find that surprising at all. China doesn't want to be on the losing end and they aren't convinced that Russia can win this. If Russia had succeeded in taking control back in March as many had expected them to, China would be Russia's best friend.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:54 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,578,298 times
As Ukraine War Goes Badly, Armed Russian Factions Begin To Jockey For Power

Quote:
They are not just fighting the Ukrainians, Russia's various private - and national - armies are beginning to fight each other.

As painful retreats in Ukraine become the norm, Russian units are fighting each other over evacuation space, new weapons and loot. But in Russia itself, the factions - regular army, national police, intelligence agencies, regional units and mercenary armies - are all preparing to battle each other on behalf of their leaders should Putin be removed.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:11 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,634,097 times
I did read a report a while back saying Putin asked the oligarchs to put up their money and form more PMC’s.

Could turn into warlords and competing factions.

Quote:
On September 16, a mercenary of Wagner’s PMC attacked the Russian Guards in a hotel in Voronezh. A man with the call sign “Marlin” recently returned from the DPR. During the search, 476 cartridges were found in his possession and a criminal case was opened. This is not the first case when those returning from “special operations” break the law.
I believe I did see a video of this encounter. The PMC guy was outraged at being challenged, kept saying “do you know who I am? I am Marlin!”. Kept threatening to do outrageous things to their bottoms. Russians seem to be obsessed with their bottoms.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:11 AM

15,142 posts, read 8,706,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
1) I'm fairly sure Zelensky put Ukraine under martial law since the beginning of the war. He has also prohibited Ukrainian men from leaving the country.
2) The vote wasn't 100%. A fifth of the population is basically anti-Russia. Which is more than the Japanese population of California in 1941.

I have always believed NATO could win a conventional war against Russia if they wanted to. Who would believe otherwise? What was unclear was how much support/weapons NATO would give to Ukraine. How much support Russia's allies would give. And whether NATO would be willing to risk WWIII/nuclear war to win.

According to captured Ukrainian soldiers, both the United States, UK and Poland have active military special forces on the ground, directing military tactics …. about 500, according to one soldier in the region he was operating. So we are effectively at war with Russia.

I think Russia also underestimated the level of support NATO would be willing to provide Ukraine, and are now realigning its forces and tactics to address that. I’m hoping that sanity will enter the picture and that peace negotiations will be engaged before Russia launches the next wave, which I believe is not too far off.

If that next wave does occur, I believe it’s going to be so intense that Ukraine will not be able to withstand it, without direct military involvement by NATO/US. That’s when this dangerous game of chicken will come to a head. Will NATO commit active military forces to defend Ukraine, and risk triggering WW III? Or will they let the Kiev government fall to the Russians? That’s the most troubling question facing the world right now, because it doesn’t appear that Russia is intending to back away.

While we have a lot of western media propaganda painting a certain picture of Ukraine’s strength and Russia’s weakness, the truth is, Ukraine is in a very compromised position, militarily. Their forces are severely depleted, and incapable of repelling a full bore incursion by a 300,000 strong Russian troop advance, which will also engage in air combat forces that have thus far been used sparingly. This next wave will also create a two front assault Ukraine will have to defend, from forces entering the conflict from Belarus in the north, and forces from the east.

At the very beginning, it was about 100,000-150,000 Russian force in combat from the east, with about 650,000 Ukrainian army defending. Now, Ukraine has lost 100,000 dead, and 300,000-400,000 wounded. And after 8 months of combat, the Ukrainians are comprised of inexperienced conscripts, of poor combat experience, with declining morale. These poor dudes are facing an eminent slaughter, and that’s nothing to cheer about, unless you are a psychopath.

Instead of this collegiate game of rooting for one side against the other, better everyone should be praying that sanity prevails and both sides negotiate a peace settlement before this tragedy becomes cataclysmic..

Old 10-20-2022, 09:14 AM

30,846 posts, read 19,485,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Just read that Putin declared martial law in the four recently "annexed" regions of Ukraine.

Well. Well.
Putin is desperate and his army is being defeated by the much better technology of weapons provided by NATO, now is the time to negotiate a peace before he does something very regrettable in desperation.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:44 AM
bu2

24,159 posts, read 15,018,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't find that surprising at all. China doesn't want to be on the losing end and they aren't convinced that Russia can win this. If Russia had succeeded in taking control back in March as many had expected them to, China would be Russia's best friend.
Plus, the war is not in their economic interest. It drives up energy and food prices. It limits Russia as a market for their goods. There is nothing good about this war for anyone except a few defense manufacturers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies