Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.72%
No 256 50.59%
Unsure 49 9.68%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 12:58 PM

1,723 posts, read 918,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Japan is sending Patriot missiles to Ukraine via the USA. As usual, Russian terrorists make of kind of threats against Japan. I am happy for Ukraine, but I am even more happy that Russian terrorists have now alienated yet another country.
Japan is basically a U.S. vassal state. It always goes along with the demands of the U.S. because it has little choice. But if you want to think of that as a victory go ahead. I guess Japan is never getting those disputed islands back now. Also wouldn't be surprised to see more cooperation with N. Korea on their missile program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 01:57 PM

5,306 posts, read 3,875,119 times
So nice of us to be paying salaries and pensions of Ukranians while Zelensky buys more real estate on our dime. You gotta be brain dead to support this.

https://x.com/RealOmarNavarro/status...326829612?s=20

Old 12-28-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Ukraine is really hoping that these old F-16 jets will be a game changer this time. I mean really hoping. As you have pointed out, all previous Ukrainian miracle game changing weapons had failed. But the word is that this time it is going to be different. It seems that this is a "now or never" moment. Is it hopium or reality? We will soon know. Chances are, if the F-16s fail to deliver serious results then the Western powers will end the aid to Ukraine and say to Zelensky "you're on your own, buddy". Perhaps this is why this is such a nail-biter for the Ukrainians.

Target practice for Ivan. Keep 'em coming.

Old 12-28-2023, 03:43 PM

25,791 posts, read 17,555,739 times
Russia Airline industry decimated:
At the beginning of the war, Russia had 1100 commercial aircraft, 872 of which were either Boeing and Aerflot. Both of those companies left Russia, making spare parts and technical service unavailable to Russia.
Russia is now down to 450 Boeing and Aerflot aircraft. That means 422 commercial aircraft have been taken out of service and are now being cannibalized for spare parts. There are some black market parts available, and that probably can't be prevented, but clearly, there are not enough.
Russia has manufactured no commercial aircraft during the last 2 years.
China has provided no aircraft during that time.

In a country the size of Russia, air service is critical. In many places there is simply no other transportation. And during this time of war there is a higher than usual demand for air travel.

Russia is slowly coasting to a stop.

Egg Lines:
Recordings available on the Russian internet show immense lines formed for buying eggs at the city market. The Astra channel reported on social media that "residents started queuing for eggs from 7 a.m. Eastern Time to purchase them." Here in the US, Kroger has plenty of eggs.

LINK

LNG gas

Japan’s Mitsui & Co has decided to pull its employees out of Russia’s Arctic LNG 2 liquefied natural gas (LNG) project. Russia by itself does not have the expertise to design LNG facilities.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:16 PM

1,200 posts, read 426,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Russia Airline industry decimated:
At the beginning of the war, Russia had 1100 commercial aircraft, 872 of which were either Boeing and Aerflot. Both of those companies left Russia, making spare parts and technical service unavailable to Russia.
Russia is now down to 450 Boeing and Aerflot aircraft. That means 422 commercial aircraft have been taken out of service and are now being cannibalized for spare parts. There are some black market parts available, and that probably can't be prevented, but clearly, there are not enough.
Russia has manufactured no commercial aircraft during the last 2 years.
China has provided no aircraft during that time.

In a country the size of Russia, air service is critical. In many places there is simply no other transportation. And during this time of war there is a higher than usual demand for air travel.

Russia is slowly coasting to a stop.

Egg Lines:
Recordings available on the Russian internet show immense lines formed for buying eggs at the city market. The Astra channel reported on social media that "residents started queuing for eggs from 7 a.m. Eastern Time to purchase them." Here in the US, Kroger has plenty of eggs.

LINK

LNG gas

Japan’s Mitsui & Co has decided to pull its employees out of Russia’s Arctic LNG 2 liquefied natural gas (LNG) project. Russia by itself does not have the expertise to design LNG facilities.
From my understanding of Russia is that they always proffered train over an air travel. In this case, I don't think it will have that much of impact on the general public.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:25 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,559,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
From my understanding of Russia is that they always proffered train over an air travel. In this case, I don't think it will have that much of impact on the general public.
Lol no. Big country, it would take days to go across in their trains. It's now more of a tourist fad (I did it long ago after romanticizing Dr Zhivago too much). Perhaps some locals from nearby towns will take the train, especially if no airports exist. Russians definitely rely on air travel.

I have no idea how these sanctions are impacting Russian domestic air travel, but I was in Dubai and Maldives this October, and it was full (especially Maldives) of Russian carriers (Aeroflot + others).

Old 12-28-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:

They could always use the chips from the washing machines right? Gullible gullible.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:53 PM

57,398 posts, read 26,452,649 times
Forget about the Russian casualties, how much longer can the Russian economy last which is totally reliant on oil.

I wonder how the wounded Russians are being treated, do they have the health care and their version of the wounded warriors or other support groups.

How long will the Russian people tolerate a senseless war that has now lost more than they did in Afghanistan.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:54 PM

26,916 posts, read 22,797,279 times
Quote:
From my understanding of Russia is that they always proffered train over an air travel.

That is a yes. Russian civil aviation was never particularly safe, while trains always provided with comfort/surety and affordability.

There were always options - from luxury trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WAoaTUZ1Jo

to the cheapest versions of $40 paid for 1,000 km trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kh9zxz9jU

So Russian trains ( and traveling on them) is a very different concept comparably to traveling on Amtrak.

I am not sure why "egg lines" out of all things came about.

I've heard that this was the line for the CHEAPER- priced eggs, but Russians are sure buzzing around about the egg shortage - it came to them as a surprise, and it looks like they've been hurriedly ordered now from other countries.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:07 PM

1,723 posts, read 918,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Forget about the Russian casualties, how much longer can the Russian economy last which is totally reliant on oil.

I wonder how the wounded Russians are being treated, do they have the health care and their version of the wounded warriors or other support groups.

How long will the Russian people tolerate a senseless war that has now lost more than they did in Afghanistan.
Well considering the economy was supposed to collapse 3 months after the war due the pressure of Western sanctions, I figure it can go on for long time. If it were senseless then why does the West continue to pump arms and aid into the conflict. Clearly there is something more at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies