Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.64%
No 257 50.69%
Unsure 49 9.66%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 12:11 PM

26,922 posts, read 22,820,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
On this day in 1944…

Quote:
Every year on May 18, Ukraine commemorates the memory of the victims of the deportation of the Crimean Tatar people. The deportation of Crimea’s indigenous population from their homeland is one of the most striking examples of the crimes of the Soviet regime.
https://www.weareukraine.info/deport...arian-machine/ (photos at link)

Why were they deported in 1944?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 01:03 PM
bu2

24,247 posts, read 15,084,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
On this day in 1944…

https://www.weareukraine.info/deport...arian-machine/ (photos at link)
So are the pro-Russian posters going to say we should give Crimea to Turkey or Mongolia now?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:04 PM

8,996 posts, read 11,885,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Ukraine would collapse in days without western support, just like Afghanistan did.

So explain to me why we should continue to prop up Ukraine when we didn’t do it for Afghanistan?

Because of the domino theory fallacy?
You have already made up your mind, but I will play.

1. The Russian invasion of Ukraine caused food and material shortages around the world. African countries risked starvation because the Russians blockaded Ukrainian grains from leaving the Black Sea.

2. Aggressors like China, Iran, and North Korea are watching this war carefully. If Russia can invade Ukraine and get away with it, what will deter China from invading Taiwan and North Korea from invading South Korea?

3. The USA, Ukraine, the UK, and Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum in 1994 in which Ukraine was promised that, if they give up nukes, all these countries would respect Ukraine's sovereignty and borders. Additionally, the USA gave Ukraine assurances that it would intervene if Russia attacked Ukraine. Now the USA is keeping that promise, one it should have kept when Russia invaded Crimea and the Donbas regions in 2014.

4. Personally when I see a wrong being done, I want to stop it. If you see a woman being raped, an elderly person being beaten up, or a child being abused, I am sure you would want to help. In the same spirit, the USA and 40 other countries are helping Ukraine.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-18-2023 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 01:31 PM

5,308 posts, read 3,882,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Ukraine forces getting ready to abandon Bakhmut. Perhaps by the end of this weekend.

Also: General Zaluzhny, the head of the armed forces of Ukraine and General Syrskyi, commander of the Ukrainian ground forces have both disappeared. Killed by Russian forces? Arrested for treason or scapegoated? Or planning for the upcoming counteroffensive?

https://asiatimes.com/2023/05/ukrain...-from-bakhmut/

Leaving so soon? Just when it was going so well?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:45 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,802,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Leaving so soon? Just when it was going so well?
I never left. Still here. Especially as I was the last to post. It's the others that left. And it is going well, especially concerning that Reuters article that avoided responsibility and just mindlessly pushed Ukraine's comments. Wow! LOL!

So where are those Ukrainian generals? And what about that stalled Ukrainian counteroffensive? Have they taken Bakhmut back completely? Umm.. no. But let's see what happens. The weekend is not far away.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 05-18-2023 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 01:55 PM

26,922 posts, read 22,820,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You have already made up your mind, but I will play.

1. The Russian invasion of Ukraine caused food and material shortages around the world. African countries risked starvation because the Russians blockaded Ukrainian grains from leaving the Black Sea.

2. Aggressors like China, Iran, and North Korea are watching this war carefully. If Russia can invade Ukraine and get away with it, what will deter China from invading Taiwan and North Korea from invading South Korea?

3. The USA, Ukraine, the UK, and Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum in 1994 in which Ukraine was promised that, if they give up nukes, all these countries would respect Ukraine's sovereignty and borders. Additionally, the USA gave Ukraine assurances that it would intervene if Russia attacked Ukraine. Now the USA is keeping that promise, one it should have kept when Russia invaded Crimea and the Donbas regions in 2014.

4. Personally when I see a wrong being done, I want to stop it. If you see a woman being raped, an elderly person being beaten up, or a child being abused, I am sure you would want to help. In the same spirit, the USA and 40 other countries are helping Ukraine.

If it's the "African countries that risked the starvation," ( and that's what they initial hysteria was all about,) can you explain to me pls why it's the markets of Eastern European countries that were crushed by Ukrainian agricultural products, once the Ukrainian ports were re-open for export?

Another question - did you check where the Ukrainian agricultural exports are going, before making this post and lamenting about the "starvation in Africa," "elderly person being beaten up" and the rest?

Where are Ukraine's exports are going?

Only about a quarter of Ukraine's food exports have been going to the world's poorest countries, according to UN figures:
  • 47% has gone to "high-income countries" including Spain, Italy and the Netherlands
  • 26% has gone to "upper-middle income countries" such as Turkey and China
  • 27% has gone to "low and lower-middle income countries" like Egypt, Kenya and Sudan

Old 05-18-2023, 02:20 PM

7,711 posts, read 5,599,325 times
US risks rift with European allies over hesitancy to supply F-16s to Ukraine
Quote:
Zelenskiy is due to address the G7 summit in Hiroshima, Japan, which begins on Friday. It is likely the Ukrainian president will try to raise the F-16 issue, although he will want to be careful not to embarrass Biden at the meeting of the leaders of the world’s leading economies.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:55 PM

19,256 posts, read 27,919,063 times

well, here's the thing.
While the US was in control of that puppet government, Ukraine was more or less behaving, how it's teasing the bear.
With the last escapades into the diversions and active military acts On the Russian territory, it looks like US is abandoning that project and is loosening the leash. It is not very popular in the US and elections are looming on horizon
As the result, the so called government there starts feeling brave and going gonzo. US was always very timid on attacking Russia on its territory.
Hence, US reluctance to supply any real fighter jets.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes I found it, thanks.

The radiation level DID spike there around 14/15th, but not critically.

Probably the rumors of this spike ( not looking into further details) plus appearance of the "dosimetric patrol" is what triggered the panic.
And, of course, you saw my post on the bismuth fallout, following Khmelnytsk explosion?

Old 05-18-2023, 03:06 PM

Every year on May 18, Ukraine commemorates the memory of the victims of the deportation of the Crimean Tatar people. The deportation of Crimea’s indigenous population from their homeland is one of the most striking examples of the crimes of the Soviet regime.

OK, let me ask you a question.

Your country is attacked by a very powerful and ruthless invader. A regional local population sides with that invader without hesitation. Same population that, for HUNDREDS of years was a slave market and slaves supplier to your other sworn enemies.
Fortunately, you manage to win this war and recover lost territories. How nice will YOU be to that local population? Give it all blind eye and pretend, it never happened?
You DO know that Tatars for centuries ransacked Ukraine and Russia and Poland for slaves and committed atrocities beyond human? And, sided with the Nazi Whermacht in WW@? You DO know that? Or, should I mention deportation and camps for Japanese during WW2 only on suspiscion that they could possibly collaborate with Japan? No, not a "striking example of crime"?

Sorry, this sort of got to me. You, also, know, that Tatars never were indigenous population to Crimea or Ukraine or Russia? That they came into those countries in the 13th century, burnt them down, killed and slaughtered and turned into slaves locals for around 400 years? That they stayed down in the heaven on Earth regions of the southern Ukraine/Crimea only because of the Ottoman Empire might? And, even after all that, they still were welcomed to the USSR and enjoyed Crimea, until another betrayal?

Last edited by ukrkoz; 05-18-2023 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies