Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 01:00 PM

26,873 posts, read 22,739,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Conquest, then treaty.

How did this *conquest* come about?

Why did Russians end up in charge of the German lands to begin with?
Remind me please yet again.

Quote:

But wasn't the argument that centuries of cultural attachment should be the deciding factor? If that holds for Crimea, certainly it should for Königsberg as well, right?
What "cultural attachment?"
Germans already said that they don't want this land any longer with a bunch of Russians inhabiting it.
There are no more Germans living in Konigsberg. If they were, this would be a different story.

Quote:
Or you could just admit that you're in the might-makes-right camp and drop the pretense that Russia is trying to right a wrong.
If we go this rout, then Britons should have never set their foot in America or Australia, Russians - into Siberia, and on and on we'll go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 01:03 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,188,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, a single Patriot missile is 3-4 mil, and the system is a cool 1 billion.
The thing is, though - the missiles and system are built already, it's essentially a sunk cost. Whereas it looks as if Russia is building a batch of missiles, then firing them. IOW, we can afford Patriots better than they can afford Kinzhals (sp?). Not sure how much a Kinzhal is - or if it even makes sense to try to assign a dollar figure - but I suspect that in millions, it's high single if not double digits.

If someone fires a Patriot missile at an Iranian drone, much different picture, But I suspect they can tell the difference.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
The Russians will remain dangerous for decades to come. And they are hardy people willing to tolerate immense hardships. Ukrainians are no different. The EU needs the Ukrainians in their fold to defend against the Russians. Ironically, if Putin didn't treat the Ukrainians like unloved step child but instead gave them the vision to share the world with them, perhaps they would have remained with Russia. So in the end, the kleptocratic despot has noone to blame except himself for Russian decline.

"Defend" from who/what?
From the Russian gas pipes?

There was no need to defend anybody, until Ukrainians came up with their nationalist crap government and started screaming that they are some "defenders of European values," and Russians have to be killed.

Russians meanwhile woke up to the fact lately, that all their vice-speakers of the parliament since the 90ies, now reside abroad - be that Israel or US or EU. ( I need to go through this list.)

So why would people who keep their money in the West and promote fiscal policies in Russia that are convenient to the world bankers would be "dangerous" together with their whole government?
It was all half-hearted game on behalf of Putin's government; more so to please his own population to show the "Russian independence" than anything else.

That's why what will come AFTER Putin is a big question.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:49 PM

8,193 posts, read 3,749,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The thing is, though - the missiles and system are built already, it's essentially a sunk cost. Whereas it looks as if Russia is building a batch of missiles, then firing them. IOW, we can afford Patriots better than they can afford Kinzhals (sp?). Not sure how much a Kinzhal is - or if it even makes sense to try to assign a dollar figure - but I suspect that in millions, it's high single if not double digits.

If someone fires a Patriot missile at an Iranian drone, much different picture, But I suspect they can tell the difference.
I understand. But eventually replacements are ordered.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericteg...h=796272b496f8

"As the administration sends a Patriot battery to Ukraine, the 2023 NDAA - which the president has yet to sign - calls for adding two new batteries to the 15 Patriot battalions the U.S. currently has available (each battalion includes multiple batteries). The cost of 252 new interceptor missiles earmarked for these is $1.037 billion according to CSIS."

Most quoted number seems to be around $10 mil but who knows.

According to some of the reports very many Patriot missiles were fired.

The system is not good against drones anyway:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...es-ncna1057461

Old 05-17-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
New CIA recruitment video message for the Russian audience…

They are also establishing a presence on Telegram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Wo6NbWRmE

Translation

- Is this the path that I chose?
- Why are the lives of some people more important than others?
- And who decides that?
- Being a hero means to endure.
- But enduring, it doesn't mean to just pointlessly tolerate, does it?
- The best way to prevent a prisoner from escaping is to make it so that he doesn't even know he is in a prison
- We easily succumb to lies
- However we do know what our world is, what our reality is that we live in.
- And the reality that we talk about in whispers.
- I do not believe in a revolution
- True life occurs where inconspicuous changes are made within people's souls
- Inconspicuous for my country, but not for me
- I will live a truthful life, this is my Russia
- It will always be my Russia
- I will endure
- My family will endure
- We live a worthy life, thanks to my actions

“People that surround you may not want to hear the truth"
"But we do"
“You aren’t powerless”
"'Contact us via a safe method"

Right.
There are so many things so wrong on so many levels with this ad, that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Russians however already responded to it.

( "Our answer to CIA")

And it's in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He9u4egnFaE

Old 05-17-2023, 02:32 PM

8,973 posts, read 11,856,074 times
Drone-dropped Napalm burned Russian trench covering. Both sides are adapting to the enemy's defense and offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnX0Gt8fXw

Old 05-17-2023, 03:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 490,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Defend" from who/what?
From the Russian gas pipes?

There was no need to defend anybody, until Ukrainians came up with their nationalist crap government and started screaming that they are some "defenders of European values," and Russians have to be killed.

Russians meanwhile woke up to the fact lately, that all their vice-speakers of the parliament since the 90ies, now reside abroad - be that Israel or US or EU. ( I need to go through this list.)

So why would people who keep their money in the West and promote fiscal policies in Russia that are convenient to the world bankers would be "dangerous" together with their whole government?
It was all half-hearted game on behalf of Putin's government; more so to please his own population to show the "Russian independence" than anything else.

That's why what will come AFTER Putin is a big question.

Frankly the crux of this war is to weaken Russia as Lloyd Austin himself expressed. They want a Russia that is prostrate and ripe for exploitation and eventually dismantlement into vulnerable component statelets. Ukraine is a means to an end that they've been facilitating the weaponisation of against Russia since 2014 through the colour revolution they backed and the anti Russian fervour that's been getting fanned in that state.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:49 PM

8,973 posts, read 11,856,074 times
Grain agreement is reached for another two months. Stealing Ukrainian territories have allowed Russian terrorists to control the livelihood of Ukrainian citizens.

https://youtu.be/SXJrhmFC-7c

Old 05-17-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
Frankly the crux of this war is to weaken Russia as Lloyd Austin himself expressed. They want a Russia that is prostrate and ripe for exploitation and eventually dismantlement into vulnerable component statelets. Ukraine is a means to an end that they've been facilitating the weaponisation of against Russia since 2014 through the colour revolution they backed and the anti Russian fervour that's been getting fanned in that state.
Russians are well-aware of it, particularly the ones that congregate on Telegram out of all places.

So why would anyone want to target them on Telegram with the kind of ads that Ken posted here, is unclear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
New CIA recruitment video message for the Russian audience…

They are also establishing a presence on Telegram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Wo6NbWRmE

Translation

- Is this the path that I chose?
- Why are the lives of some people more important than others?
- And who decides that?
- Being a hero means to endure.
- But enduring, it doesn't mean to just pointlessly tolerate, does it?
- The best way to prevent a prisoner from escaping is to make it so that he doesn't even know he is in a prison
- We easily succumb to lies
- However we do know what our world is, what our reality is that we live in.
- And the reality that we talk about in whispers.
- I do not believe in a revolution
- True life occurs where inconspicuous changes are made within people's souls
- Inconspicuous for my country, but not for me
- I will live a truthful life, this is my Russia
- It will always be my Russia
- I will endure
- My family will endure
- We live a worthy life, thanks to my actions

“People that surround you may not want to hear the truth"
"But we do"
“You aren’t powerless”
"'Contact us via a safe method"

Last edited by erasure; 05-17-2023 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 04:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,955,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
No one wants Russia’s 2013 borders changed or dismantled.

I mean even the hawk types don’t want to risk the Chechens ending up with possession of the nukes.

It’s just more paranoia in the name of justifying Russia’s imperalist expansion plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies