Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 08:17 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,826,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Just because Delta and Omicron are the ones we hear about the most, doesn't mean they are the only ones out there. The original strain isn't extinct. And there are likely other strains out there that are not 'variants of concern'

Some studies are saying now that the best protection is to be vaccinated and THEN have a breakthrough infection.

https://www.kxly.com/pandemic-end-ga...uper-immunity/

There is something to be said for natural immunity. Now, I don't believe that I would say it is wise if you have risk factors to think along the lines of "eh, i'll just get it and then be done". If the young and otherwise healthy want to take that risk.. I don't agree with it, but, I also don't think they should be forced to. Although, the people who come up with the weird conspiracy theories, those people, hey, that speaks for the country's need to invest in mental health...

Everyone that i've seen personally that has died from it has had something underlying. Dia-beetus mainly. We had it run through our office back in February. I was one of three people who didn't get it. I was vaxxed at the time since I was part of the clinical trial, the other two were only there one day before the others all fell out. But, all those people who were infected were basically young and healthy. While they certainly didn't ENJOY the experience, they didn't have any long term effects. Again, Your Mileage may Vary.

There's also the part about being a breeding ground for new variants.
The number of fully vaccinated and boosted people I learn about who currently have Covid grows by the hour. Good luck. Fortunately it sounds like a cold or flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 08:23 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,405,278 times
UK has 76% vaccinated one dose, 70% vaccinated, 40% boosted so of course those testing positive for Omicron will be higher since they outnumber unvaccinated 4 to 1. What doesn't add up is the high ratio of boosted compared to unvaccinated.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,898,862 times
90% of Covid hospitalizations in my state are unvaccinated.

The number is likely higher, given people lie.

Just like last year, people gathered over Thanksgiving and in anticipation of the holiday. That was pre Delta, twice as infectious as earlier forms. Then came Omicrone, twice as infectious as Delta. In my neck of the woods, bars, restaurants and private rooms are full of merrymakers enjoying the season without regards to distancing or masking.

We have known since mid summer, vaccines begin to wane at the 5-6 month mark and certainly were not intended to protect against every future variant that emerges from geo areas with 1 billion + unvaccinated people.

Just a few weeks ago, it was easy to get a booster at nearly every grocery store on a walk in basis. Same day appointments were available at CVS and Walgreens. Now, most are sold out till after New Years.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:52 AM

984 posts, read 447,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
UK has 76% vaccinated one dose, 70% vaccinated, 40% boosted so of course those testing positive for Omicron will be higher since they outnumber unvaccinated 4 to 1. What doesn't add up is the high ratio of boosted compared to unvaccinated.
It does add up, because those who are boosted WHO TEST POSITIVE are pretty unlikely to be getting Delta, Alpha, Beta, or whatever other variants are running around over there.

This chart doesn't mean that the boosted are more likely to get covid. It means that IF they have covid, they're more likely to have omicron rather than the other variants.

Those who are unvaxed, who get covid more frequently and more severely, are also getting the other variants, so the percentage who have omicron is smaller.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:23 AM

27,293 posts, read 15,446,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I would think they are more careful because they know they aren't vaxxed.
They are only emboldened when told they are "mandated" to get a shot.
They know the risk they are taking

The vaccinated think they have a protective bubble around them and aren't taking precautions.
May be at least part of the reason we had more deaths this year than last.
Overconfidence.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:30 AM

26,167 posts, read 19,108,394 times
So much for the idea that this treatment is a "vaccine." As a vaccine, it hasn't been worth a ****. Seems to be more effective at causing heart damage than preventing covid.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:46 AM

6,204 posts, read 2,955,388 times
I just thought I'd share this, and I believe I may already have in a thread that didn't go anywhere. But, I have a family member in their late eighties, who had Covid-19 almost twelve months ago. They were not vaccinated before hand, and had milder symptoms than I did when I had Covid-19 in July (go figure). That family member has yet to receive any inoculation against Covid-19, as they perceive it to be unnecessary. That family member had an antibody test done last week, and after twelve months and no boosters of any sort, they measured 2170.0 (I'm not sure what they measure it in), which was higher than other family members who only had two shots after six months.

While anecdotal, this proves my belief that natural immunity is the best immunity.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:11 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,405,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
It does add up, because those who are boosted WHO TEST POSITIVE are pretty unlikely to be getting Delta, Alpha, Beta, or whatever other variants are running around over there.

This chart doesn't mean that the boosted are more likely to get covid. It means that IF they have covid, they're more likely to have omicron rather than the other variants.

Those who are unvaxed, who get covid more frequently and more severely, are also getting the other variants, so the percentage who have omicron is smaller.
The chart indicates those who tested positive for Omicron not hospitalized. Even vaccinated can carry the virus.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:21 AM

5,598 posts, read 2,336,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I have a family member in their late eighties, who had Covid-19 almost twelve months ago....That family member has yet to receive any inoculation against Covid-19....

That family member had an antibody test done last week....

they measured 2170.0, which was higher than other family members who only had two shots after six months.
What was the antibody measurement of boosted family members(3 shots)?

Old 12-24-2021, 11:33 AM

6,204 posts, read 2,955,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
What was the antibody measurement of boosted family members(3 shots)?
They only tested to see whether they truly needed a booster shot to begin with. One of the people tested at 2000, and the other tested at 200. They had both received the original two shots at the same time. The one who tested at 200 is one year older than the family member who tested at 2170, and they are blood related. At least in my particular case, natural immunity seems to have provided the longest lasting immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies