Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 06:06 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,297,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
C-SPAN Announces Results of 2021 Presidential Historians Survey Trump listed at the bottom 5. This is no surprise to me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...10/7795974002/

https://www.c-span.org/video/?513077...torians-survey
Where do you think historians would have ranked Lincoln in 1866 after 4% of our male population was wiped out in a civil war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 06:08 AM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Relax Trump is still ahead of Buchanan.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:37 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,220,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The people in this thread who are claiming they don't care are either being disingenuous or aren't very self aware because whose who truly don't care one whit would be demonstrating that by ignoring this thread.
If Joe-Blow on youtube made a list of best presidents and someone posted his video on this political forum, people would comment about how no one cares what Joe-Blow has to say.

Your claim is that the very act of saying you don't care what Joe-Blow has to say proves that you do care what Joe-Blow has to say. Thus the only way for right-wingers to prove that they don't care what Joe-blow has to say is to allow his video to be posted on this political forum, and then sit by why the entire thread becomes a leftist circle-jerk. Because if you so far as comment to show your disapproval of Joe-Blow's opinion, then you are tacitly admitting that you care about Joe-Blow's opinion and that it hurts your feelings or whatever.

No. I don't care about Joe-Blow's opinion. I'm annoyed it is being spammed on this political forum as if it matters. And I'm not going to play your stupid circular-reasoning game.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-03-2021 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-03-2021, 10:51 AM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Where do you think historians would have ranked Lincoln in 1866 after 4% of our male population was wiped out in a civil war?
He wouldn't be very popular in the south maybe also true of some in the north but he was one of the most courageous and respected presidents in history present day.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:55 AM

6,253 posts, read 3,423,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He wouldn't be very popular in the south maybe also true of some in the north but he was one of the most courageous and respected presidents in history present day.
I am guessing that is why a democrat shot him.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Surprisingly, I think he would have ranked highly. He won 55% of the vote in the 1864 election, so he was fairly popular. He succeeded in keeping the Union together by winning the war. If he would've lost the war, he would've ranked dead last.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,220,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Surprisingly, I think he would have ranked highly. He won 55% of the vote in the 1864 election, so he was fairly popular. He succeeded in keeping the Union together by winning the war. If he would've lost the war, he would've ranked dead last.
He won 55% of the vote when no one in the south was voting. He was actually very unpopular and would have lost reelection if not for successful campaigns by his generals in late-1864. His Democratic opposition was George McClellan, who had been a Union general, but who advocated for peace with the Confederacy.

But by September the Union had captured Atlanta, the war was almost over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1864_U...neral_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_campaign

Old 07-03-2021, 04:37 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,677,955 times
Authors and professors of history are the ones submitting their rankings, so I put little faith in this ranking. I'm still trying to figure out what Obama accomplished.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:42 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,427,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Authors and professors of history are the ones submitting their rankings, so I put little faith in this ranking. I'm still trying to figure out what Obama accomplished.

I would guess, these professors didn't get their degrees from Trump University.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
He won 55% of the vote when no one in the south was voting. He was actually very unpopular and would have lost reelection if not for successful campaigns by his generals in late-1864. His Democratic opposition was George McClellan, who had been a Union general, but who advocated for peace with the Confederacy.

But by September the Union had captured Atlanta, the war was almost over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1864_U...neral_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_campaign
So, if you include the secessionist south (but exclude blacks in the south), then ignore the actual campaigning by generals who supported him, but pay attention to his adversary who was diametrically opposed to him in policy, and then ignore the actual results of the election, it is reasonable to conclude that Lincoln was unpopular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies