Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 01:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,235,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I was going to vote my mail (I'm one of the microscopic percentages of Texans who's actually eligible to do so,) but I don't trust these Republicans. I'll wait all day in line if I have to. I need to improve my Mah-Jongg Solitaire game anyway.
so this only affects a microscopic % of the people anyway?

Those eligible to absentee vote - less those who didn't request one anyway - less those who will mail it in anyway - less those who decide to vote in person early - less those who decide to vote in-person Nov 3

A small % of a microscopic %?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
For absentee ballots, it was one location in 2016.

For early voting, which is a different thing, it was similar if not the same as what it is this time, which is about 58.
I think someone said there were MORE early-voting locations. I know y'all said there was an extra week of early voting.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,646 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Texas Law says ONE drop off location and that is the County Clerk’s Office. That never changed - it is TEXAS LAW. ONLY the Governor of Texas can suspend any State LAW under an Emergency Declaration.... which is what Governor Abbott did by extending early voting at the request of Harris County. They wanted Early Voting to begin no later than October 13 and that is what they got. The only drop off location is the County Clerks Office AND drop off begins the Early Voting Date. Harris County has 58 Early Voting sites... 10 more added for this Election.

What law says that you can only have one drop box per county? I can't find it, and I've looked.

It may be that that's just the way it had been done in the past, because there wasn't demand for a drop off box, but by law they had to provide one, and it was at the County Clerk's office, for convenience.

I don't see ANY media outlets mentioning that Abbott is just following the law by shutting down extra drop boxes during this weird pandemic election.

Can you site the law?

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10...-drop-lawsuit/

Old 10-02-2020, 01:17 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,532,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I think someone said there were MORE early-voting locations. I know y'all said there was an extra week of early voting.
Maybe there are more early voting locations this time, but I am not sure why there would be. There were plenty last time. So if there are at least as many as last time, as apparently there are, we are all set.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What law says that you can only have one drop box per county? I can't find it, and I've looked.

It may be that that's just the way it had been done in the past, because there wasn't demand for a drop off box, but by law they had to provide one, and it was at the County Clerk's office, for convenience.

I don't see ANY media outlets mentioning that Abbott is just following the law by shutting down extra drop boxes during this weird pandemic election.

Can you site the law?

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10...-drop-lawsuit/
Here is the law from the Texas Election Code:
Sec. 86.006. METHOD OF RETURNING MARKED BALLOT. (a) A marked ballot voted under this chapter must be returned to the early voting clerk in the official carrier envelope. The carrier envelope may be delivered in another envelope and must be transported and delivered only by:
(1) mail;
(2) common or contract carrier; or
(3) subject to Subsection (a-1), in-person delivery by the voter who voted the ballot.
(a-1) The voter may deliver a marked ballot in person to the early voting clerk's office only while the polls are open on election day. A voter who delivers a marked ballot in person must present an acceptable form of identification described by Section 63.0101.

What Governor Abbott has done here is to EXPAND the number of days that absentee ballots can be dropped off in person. Under the law, as you can see for yourself above, in person drop off of these ballots is only allowed on election day and only at the county clerk's office. However, for this election, Governor Abbott has signed an executive order allowing absentee ballots to be dropped off in person at the county clerk's office any day from October 2 through election day.

Here is the language from Governor Abbott's executive order yesterday (PDF):
I further suspend Section 86.006(a-1) of the Texas Election Code, for any election
ordered or authorized to occur on November 3, 2020, to the extent necessary to
allow a voter to deliver a marked mail ballot in person to the early voting clerk’s
office prior to and including on election day; provided, however, that beginning on
October 2, 2020
, this suspension applies only when:
(1) the voter delivers the marked mail ballot at a single early voting clerk’s
office location that is publicly designated by the early voting clerk for the
return of marked mail ballots under Section 86.006(a-1) and this
suspension; and
(2) the early voting clerk allows poii watchers the opportunity to observe
any activity conducted at the early voting clerk’s office location related to
the in-person delivery of a marked mail ballot pursuant to Section
$6.006(a-1) and this suspension, including the presentation of an
acceptable form of identification described by Section 63.0101 of the
Election Code by the voter.
So the county clerk location is not a change. The primary change is the expansion of the number of days that this service is available.

Of course absentee ballots can also be mailed in accordance with the mail-in instructions, included with the ballot. That has not changed, and it is the way that most people do it anyway.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:43 PM

are we at mic drop stage yet?

Old 10-02-2020, 01:47 PM

nevermind this ...

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service informed Texas in July that given the state’s current mail ballot request deadline, some ballots may not be delivered to voters by Election Day, and that even if all ballots reached voters on time, there was a “significant risk” that completed ballots postmarked on or near Election Day would not be received by the state’s Nov. 4 deadline.

The Texas Secretary of State’s office has not responded to Associated Press requests for comment on its plans to ensure the timely delivery of ballots.
What has Texas done to get the ballots out faster; to have a deadline for when they should be requested? And perhaps most importantly - to assure they're returned by the day after election?

Quote:
Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins said in a statement that he had applauded Abbott’s July decision to allow voters to drop off their mail ballots before Election Day because it “gave voters more options to vote safely during the global pandemic and alleviated concerns

Old 10-02-2020, 04:17 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Where do you folks get these crazy ideas?
There is no such thing as a “drop off Ballot” .... Main in Absentee Ballots can be dropped off in ONLY one location by Texas Law.

All this Hair on Fire OUTRAGE with an entire month to get your Ballot in the US Mail AND to track that Ballot to make sure it arrives.

Why the OUTRAGE ? Simple - the Leftist Plan was to Stuff those unmanned Boxes and now they won’t be able to do that.
Wrong. The law says "The voter may deliver a marked ballot in person to the early voting clerk's office", but there can be more than one early voting clerk, and there may be more than one office location.

What do you mean "unmanned boxes"? The boxes have to be manned, and ID shown. The Harris County Clerk said that was the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Abbott 's got bigger problems with his commie-lib mask mandate. The natives are restless and he will most certainly be primaried because of it.
The mask mandate is a good thing, unless you think exposing others to your nasty asymptomatic Covid germs is OK. Why is it that the extreme right thinks Covid is nothing to worry about

Quote:
B.S.

It is absurdly easy to vote in Texas. There is three weeks of early voting before every election. This election, Governor Abbott has increased that to four weeks.

Here in Harris County, we have 58 early voting locations (with many more than that on election day), where anyone with the proper identification who is registered to vote in Harris County can show up to vote from early morning until early evening, six days a week, for four weeks, at their leisure.

Anyone who cannot manage to figure out how to vote given such ridiculously easy access, either is not actually eligible to vote, or they are so lazy or stupid that they realistically are not likely to be trying to vote anyway.

Don't be mad because the Democrats are not being allowed to cheat. Just go vote. You might have to wait in line for 30 minutes or an hour, depending on when and where you go to vote. But you can certainly do it, if you want to.
So, my immune-compromised, 84 year old mother should have to stand in line to vote early, since she doesn't trust the mail right now? That's just plain stupid thinking.

Quote:
Here is the law from the Texas Election Code:
Sec. 86.006. METHOD OF RETURNING MARKED BALLOT. (a) A marked ballot voted under this chapter must be returned to the early voting clerk in the official carrier envelope. The carrier envelope may be delivered in another envelope and must be transported and delivered only by:
(1) mail;
(2) common or contract carrier; or
(3) subject to Subsection (a-1), in-person delivery by the voter who voted the ballot.
(a-1) The voter may deliver a marked ballot in person to the early voting clerk's office only while the polls are open on election day. A voter who delivers a marked ballot in person must present an acceptable form of identification described by Section 63.0101.

What Governor Abbott has done here is to EXPAND the number of days that absentee ballots can be dropped off in person. Under the law, as you can see for yourself above, in person drop off of these ballots is only allowed on election day and only at the county clerk's office. However, for this election, Governor Abbott has signed an executive order allowing absentee ballots to be dropped off in person at the county clerk's office any day from October 2 through election day.

Here is the language from Governor Abbott's executive order yesterday (PDF):
I further suspend Section 86.006(a-1) of the Texas Election Code, for any election
ordered or authorized to occur on November 3, 2020, to the extent necessary to
allow a voter to deliver a marked mail ballot in person to the early voting clerk’s
office prior to and including on election day; provided, however, that beginning on
October 2, 2020
, this suspension applies only when:
(1) the voter delivers the marked mail ballot at a single early voting clerk’s
office location that is publicly designated by the early voting clerk for the
return of marked mail ballots under Section 86.006(a-1) and this
suspension; and
(2) the early voting clerk allows poii watchers the opportunity to observe
any activity conducted at the early voting clerk’s office location related to
the in-person delivery of a marked mail ballot pursuant to Section
$6.006(a-1) and this suspension, including the presentation of an
acceptable form of identification described by Section 63.0101 of the
Election Code by the voter.
So the county clerk location is not a change. The primary change is the expansion of the number of days that this service is available.

Of course absentee ballots can also be mailed in accordance with the mail-in instructions, included with the ballot. That has not changed, and it is the way that most people do it anyway.
The law says nothing about the number of locations, and allows for any number of early election clerks to be appointed.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Wrong. The law says "The voter may deliver a marked ballot in person to the early voting clerk's office", but there can be more than one early voting clerk, and there may be more than one office location.

What do you mean "unmanned boxes"? The boxes have to be manned, and ID shown. The Harris County Clerk said that was the plan.

The mask mandate is a good thing, unless you think exposing others to your nasty asymptomatic Covid germs is OK. Why is it that the extreme right thinks Covid is nothing to worry about

So, my immune-compromised, 84 year old mother should have to stand in line to vote early, since she doesn't trust the mail right now? That's just plain stupid thinking.

The law says nothing about the number of locations, and allows for any number of early election clerks to be appointed.
It has traditionally been one location, since virtually all of these people mail in their absentee ballots anyway. If you are as concerned about your "immune-compromised, 84 year old mother" as you have stated, then surely you will be wanting her to mail in her ballot and not be dropping anything off in person. Yes?

It is the Democrats at the county level that are attempting to game the system in order to try to cheat. They have already tried to break the law in Harris County this election and are clearly not to be trusted. It is within the power of the Governor to clarify these regulations on this issue, although that was not previously necessary, until the Democrats initiated their inappropriate and illegal antics this election cycle. But clearly now it is necessary.

The way that he has done this here - by expanding the number of days that people can drop their absentee ballots off in person (which almost nobody uses anyway, even on election day), while addressing security concerns by slapping down the cheating Democrats efforts to expand the number of locations that have to be monitored and watched, and limiting the drop off location to the traditional number of one - clearly appears to strike a very smart and reasonable balance.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:52 PM

24,013 posts, read 15,110,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Have to agree, I usually vote early but this year I might just wait until election day. I think by then everyone will have voted already!
That has been our experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies