Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 09:59 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,610,409 times

Advertisements

Abbott is a dirtbag for doing this. I regret I voted for his arse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 05:15 AM

24,026 posts, read 15,125,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There is three weeks of early voting in Harris County and Texas, with locations all over the county and state. If these voters are smart, they will just blow off the absentee ballots and just go vote in person at one of the early voting loactions.
It's better to wait until election day.

The whole county votes early.

You want to see lines? Go to an early voting site.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:10 AM

30,300 posts, read 23,784,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why shouldn't people in jail, awaiting trial, be able to vote? Innocent until proven guilty and all that?
There's also a difference between jail and prison that too many people can't figure out.

Jail is where you go while you're awaiting trial, or your crime was not felonious.

Prison is where you go after you've been convicted, and it's mainly filled with those who committed serious crimes - aka felonies.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:52 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,529,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Have to agree, I usually vote early but this year I might just wait until election day. I think by then everyone will have voted already!

Old 10-02-2020, 06:59 AM

89,107 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Our entire county has only two early voting locations, and our governor is a Democrat.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:32 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,577,255 times
Another despicable effort by Republicans to suppress the vote has been exposed with the perpetrators actually being charged. Minority voters in Detroit were targeted.

Known right-wing operatives Jacob Wohl, Jack Burkman charged with making robocalls to suppress voter turnout
The two aimed the calls at voters in the Detroit suburbs, officials said.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wing..._headlines_hed

Old 10-02-2020, 10:30 AM

17,453 posts, read 9,288,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Republicans are desperate because Texas is becoming a purple state.
A more accurate way to state that is :
Democrats are desperate to turn Texas BLUE again, so they have claimed for over 10 years that Texas is Purple. Every election claims this Myth, every election proves the Myth is wrong. Not a single Statewide Elected Position is held by a Democrat and hasn’t been for 30+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Dana DeBeauviour, the Travis County election commissioner, usually very circumspect, calm, professional, reassuring, is really angry.

As well she should be. This is petty, and partisan, to declare ONE drop off location per county. Some Texas counties are huge - it would truly be an imposition to have to travel across the county to drop off a ballot.

Today is the first day that voters could drop their ballots off, and would have to show identification to do so, so ALL 4 of the designated drop off sites are manned and secure, of course. The ludicrous idea that they can't be secure is just smokescreen. There is zero reason a county like Travis can't create and maintain 4 secure drop off locations.

There has been a massive campaign, "how to vote in Travis county" that's been out in public for weeks. All the ways you can vote, and how to do so.

Then today Abbott, out of nowhere, on the first day of drop off ballots, declares that all counties must designate only ONE drop off location.

This is getting worse and worse. Unapologetic political partisanship on the part of Abbott.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...ef=exit-recirc
Texas Law says ONE drop off location and that is the County Clerk’s Office. That never changed - it is TEXAS LAW. ONLY the Governor of Texas can suspend any State LAW under an Emergency Declaration.... which is what Governor Abbott did by extending early voting at the request of Harris County. They wanted Early Voting to begin no later than October 13 and that is what they got. The only drop off location is the County Clerks Office AND drop off begins the Early Voting Date. Harris County has 58 Early Voting sites... 10 more added for this Election.

Add to that .... Nothing in Texas Law OR the Governor’s Proclamation of July 27 says Early drop off begins October 1.
Travis, Harris & the Democrats decided they could circumvent the Law.... they are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
He'll lose in court. This is a clear demonstration of how scared the GOP is of a Blue Tidal Wave in another month.
. ... always the Blue Wave dream in Texas. The Texas Supreme Court will follow Texas Law.
Governor Abbott won’t lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
These aren't mail in ballots, these are drop off ballots, with an ID check. Just about the same as early voting, except you don't have to go inside the building. My 84 year old immune compromised mother was hoping to be able to drop her ballot off near her home in far West Harris County. Now, she will have to get someone to drive her the 25 miles into Downtown.

Abbot is scum. Of course, he's also a big fan of tort reform, once he got his $10 million settlement for his injury.
Where do you folks get these crazy ideas?
There is no such thing as a “drop off Ballot” .... Main in Absentee Ballots can be dropped off in ONLY one location by Texas Law.

All this Hair on Fire OUTRAGE with an entire month to get your Ballot in the US Mail AND to track that Ballot to make sure it arrives.

Why the OUTRAGE ? Simple - the Leftist Plan was to Stuff those unmanned Boxes and now they won’t be able to do that.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,536,905 times
Quote:

I expect I will. If standing in line for an hour to vote once every two years is the cost of freedom, then sign me up.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:22 AM

89,107 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:

I live in a small town. Population less than 400 permanent residents (swells to over 22,000 with vacation renters during summer and the shoulder seasons). There's never any line regardless of what time I go to vote, so I'll vote on November 3rd.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:25 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
Abbott 's got bigger problems with his commie-lib mask mandate. The natives are restless and he will most certainly be primaried because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies