Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 11:31 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Republicans are desperate because Texas is becoming a purple state.
You mean they are switching from Cowboys to Vikings fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 12:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Good move by Governor Abbott. That will make it harder for the Democrats to cheat and engage in voter fraud.
This democrat will camp out in line if that’s what it takes to cast my vote in person. Abbott’s actions are not surprising. Texas has a long history of voter suppression tactics.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
This democrat will camp out in line if that’s what it takes to cast my vote in person. Abbott’s actions are not surprising. Texas has a long history of voter suppression tactics.
Yes, we do, and this is just one more that's somehow being tolerated and lauded by the party in power.

I am so gonna vote.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Dana DeBeauviour, the Travis County election commissioner, usually very circumspect, calm, professional, reassuring, is really angry.

As well she should be. This is petty, and partisan, to declare ONE drop off location per county. Some Texas counties are huge - it would truly be an imposition to have to travel across the county to drop off a ballot.

Today is the first day that voters could drop their ballots off, and would have to show identification to do so, so ALL 4 of the designated drop off sites are manned and secure, of course. The ludicrous idea that they can't be secure is just smokescreen. There is zero reason a county like Travis can't create and maintain 4 secure drop off locations.

There has been a massive campaign, "how to vote in Travis county" that's been out in public for weeks. All the ways you can vote, and how to do so.

Then today Abbott, out of nowhere, on the first day of drop off ballots, declares that all counties must designate only ONE drop off location.

This is getting worse and worse. Unapologetic political partisanship on the part of Abbott.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...ef=exit-recirc
are Republicans also required to follow these rules?

Do you have stats on absentee ballots and party results from prior years? Especially those that were dropped off instead of mailed? How many locations were there in Harris County in 2016? Who staffs the box, and what hours are it open?

How many days of early voting? How many people early-voted in Harris County in 2016?

Old 10-02-2020, 12:55 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
B.S.

It is absurdly easy to vote in Texas. There is three weeks of early voting before every election. This election, Governor Abbott has increased that to four weeks.

Here in Harris County, we have 58 early voting locations (with many more than that on election day), where anyone with the proper identification who is registered to vote in Harris County can show up to vote from early morning until early evening, six days a week, for four weeks, at their leisure.

Anyone who cannot manage to figure out how to vote given such ridiculously easy access, either is not actually eligible to vote, or they are so lazy or stupid that they realistically are not likely to be trying to vote anyway.

Don't be mad because the Democrats are not being allowed to cheat. Just go vote. You might have to wait in line for 30 minutes or an hour, depending on when and where you go to vote. But you can certainly do it, if you want to.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:59 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
I expect I will. If standing in line for an hour to vote once every two years is the cost of freedom, then sign me up.
Exactly. I was going to vote my mail (I'm one of the microscopic percentages of Texans who's actually eligible to do so,) but I don't trust these Republicans. I'll wait all day in line if I have to. I need to improve my Mah-Jongg Solitaire game anyway.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A more accurate way to state that is :
Democrats are desperate to turn Texas BLUE again, so they have claimed for over 10 years that Texas is Purple. Every election claims this Myth, every election proves the Myth is wrong. Not a single Statewide Elected Position is held by a Democrat and hasn’t been for 30+ years.

Texas Law says ONE drop off location and that is the County Clerk’s Office. That never changed - it is TEXAS LAW. ONLY the Governor of Texas can suspend any State LAW under an Emergency Declaration.... which is what Governor Abbott did by extending early voting at the request of Harris County. They wanted Early Voting to begin no later than October 13 and that is what they got. The only drop off location is the County Clerks Office AND drop off begins the Early Voting Date. Harris County has 58 Early Voting sites... 10 more added for this Election.

Add to that .... Nothing in Texas Law OR the Governor’s Proclamation of July 27 says Early drop off begins October 1.
Travis, Harris & the Democrats decided they could circumvent the Law.... they are wrong.

. ... always the Blue Wave dream in Texas. The Texas Supreme Court will follow Texas Law.
Governor Abbott won’t lose.

Where do you folks get these crazy ideas?
There is no such thing as a “drop off Ballot” .... Main in Absentee Ballots can be dropped off in ONLY one location by Texas Law.

All this Hair on Fire OUTRAGE with an entire month to get your Ballot in the US Mail AND to track that Ballot to make sure it arrives.

Why the OUTRAGE ? Simple - the Leftist Plan was to Stuff those unmanned Boxes and now they won’t be able to do that.
this sounds oddly like facts, and not irrational hyperbole.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I was going to vote my mail (I'm one of the microscopic percentages of Texans who's actually eligible to do so,) but I don't trust these Republicans. I'll wait all day in line if I have to. I need to improve my Mah-Jongg Solitaire game anyway.
You will not have to wait that long, especially up in Montgomery County, as I believe you know very well.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
B.S.

It is absurdly easy to vote in Texas. There is three weeks of early voting before every election. This election, Governor Abbott has increased that to four weeks.

Here in Harris County, we have 58 early voting locations (with many more than that on election day), where anyone with the proper identification who is registered to vote in Harris County can show up to vote from early morning until early evening, six days a week, for four weeks, at their leisure.

Anyone who cannot manage to figure out how to vote given such ridiculously easy access, either is not actually eligible to vote, or they are so lazy or stupid that they realistically are not likely to be trying to vote anyway.

Don't be mad because the Democrats are not being allowed to cheat. Just go vote. You might have to wait in line for 30 minutes or an hour, depending on when and where you go to vote. But you can certainly do it, if you want to.
strangely sounds like several more facts. I'm thankful one of my questions got answered. "How many locations did Harris County have in 2016?" Seems the answer was .... 1.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
strangely sounds like several more facts. I'm thankful one of my questions got answered. "How many locations did Harris County have in 2016?" Seems the answer was .... 1.
For absentee ballots, it was one location in 2016.

For early voting, which is a different thing, it was similar if not the same as what it is this time, which is about 58.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies