Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 07:39 PM

6,802 posts, read 14,023,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There is three weeks of early voting in Harris County and Texas, with locations all over the county and state. If these voters are smart, they will just blow off the absentee ballots and just go vote in person at one of the early voting loactions.

How long do think it will be before Abbott lowers the amount of polling stations. They are not even trying to cover their deeds. One drop off box for Harris County is pure insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 07:49 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
How long do think it will be before Abbott lowers the amount of polling stations. They are not even trying to cover their deeds. One drop off box for Harris County is pure insanity.
He is not going to do that. I think Governor Abbott has pretty good confidence in the voting machines and in-person voting. It is the mail in ballots where there is legitimate concern about shenanigans from the Dems, especially in Harris County.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:52 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
More voter suppression by the GOP. They are PETRIFIED of lots of people voting.
We are petrified of the probability of Democrat fraud made simpler by the mass mail-out of random ballots...

Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Oh, he's not going to lessen the number of in person polling locations. Those attract Republicans, where mail in and drop off attracts disproportionate numbers of democrats, and he's certainly going to keep in person voting places in every neighborhood, as they are now.

I was really thinking that Abbott might not be a bad choice for the next Republican candidate for President, in 4 years, and it seems he's been positioning himself to maybe do that.

Not on his life, now, after this. I will NOT support a presidential candidate who is clearly trying to rob the voting ability from one party in my beloved state of Texas.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
There is three weeks of early voting in Harris County and Texas, with locations all over the county and state. If these voters are smart, they will just blow off the absentee ballots and just go vote in person at one of the early voting loactions.
If they have compromised immune systems and can't afford to be out in public, they won't.

That's the problem, spartacus. Democrats with compromised immune systems believe COVID is dangerous, where it seems Republicans with compromised immune systems don't believe it and will be happy to go vote in person.

Any effort to make it more difficult to vote not in person will hurt the democrats.

But you knew that.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:39 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
He is not going to do that. I think Governor Abbott has pretty good confidence in the voting machines and in-person voting. It is the mail in ballots where there is legitimate concern about shenanigans from the Dems, especially in Harris County.
These aren't mail in ballots, these are drop off ballots, with an ID check. Just about the same as early voting, except you don't have to go inside the building. My 84 year old immune compromised mother was hoping to be able to drop her ballot off near her home in far West Harris County. Now, she will have to get someone to drive her the 25 miles into Downtown.

Abbot is scum. Of course, he's also a big fan of tort reform, once he got his $10 million settlement for his injury.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
These aren't mail in ballots, these are drop off ballots, with an ID check. Just about the same as early voting, except you don't have to go inside the building. My 84 year old immune compromised mother was hoping to be able to drop her ballot off near her home in far West Harris County. Now, she will have to get someone to drive her the 25 miles into Downtown.

Abbot is scum. Of course, he's also a big fan of tort reform, once he got his $10 million settlement's for his injury.
Mail related ballots, then. If the Dems had not attempted to break the law in Harris County by trying to mail ballots to literally everyone, and also other shenanigans, then these additional security measures almost certainly would not have been deemed necessary.

The Democrats leaders in Texas and certainly in Harris County have preciotated this move with their outrageous behavior. They are to blame for this unfortunate but necessary requirement.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:24 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
The whole reason is that the Republicans are doing so horribly that they may even lose Texas! I never thought Texas might go Democratic but it is a very real possibility because they won't even denounce Trump's refusal to denounce white supremacists. Losing Texas would be a disaster for the GOP. It's already turning purple with Houston, SA, and Austin being Democratic but being disenfranchised sure doesn't make undecided voters want to join the Republicans.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The whole reason is that the Republicans are doing so horribly that they may even lose Texas! I never thought Texas might go Democratic but it is a very real possibility because they won't even denounce Trump's refusal to denounce white supremacists. Losing Texas would be a disaster for the GOP. It's already turning purple with Houston, SA, and Austin being Democratic but being disenfranchised sure doesn't make undecided voters want to join the Republicans.
Clearly, Abbot is afraid that democrats might possibly win in Texas.

As I understand it, there are several senator races that are in play in Texas, not necessarily the presidency, that has got Abbott's concern.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
If you hand deliver an absentee ballot, are you really an absentee?
It would be the equivalent of very early voting.
The more hands that touch a ballot, the more the chances for fraud and ballot tampering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies