Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 04:37 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Good move by Governor Abbott. That will make it harder for the Democrats to cheat and engage in voter fraud.
Bull****. If I were to hand deliver my ballot to any county location I would need to also provide ID that I was the one turning in my ballot.

Now, at 81, if I don't rely on the mail, I will need to get on the freeway and drive 35 miles to downtown then park, walk, stand in line to deliver my ballot.

DH and I have not had a restaurant meal or haircut in 7 months. We stay home. We pick up the groceries at HEB, and have been to Costco during senior hour a few times. Our kids will not visit. One did.They wore N95 mask the entire time they were here except for meals. We had to be 10 feet apart. Made us wear one, too.

This is just making life harder for seniors and disabled. I have voted Republican in all things state and local for the entire time I have lived in Texas. I did support Beto in his run against Cruz. The cops picking up Mrs. Cruz sitting on the grassy area between the on ramp and the freeway caused me problems. Then when he kissed Trumps's arse after what Trump said about his wife caused me problems.

I'll never vote for another Republican. That's 4 votes counting DH, son and DIL. Then there's DIL's parents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 04:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Republicans are desperate because Texas is becoming a purple state.
Yes. That's why I'm encouraging everyone I know to vote in person. I'm afraid of voter suppression by the Republicans, not the Democrats.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Dana DeBeauviour, the Travis County election commissioner, usually very circumspect, calm, professional, reassuring, is really angry.

As well she should be. This is petty, and partisan, to declare ONE drop off location per county. Some Texas counties are huge - it would truly be an imposition to have to travel across the county to drop off a ballot.

Today is the first day that voters could drop their ballots off, and would have to show identification to do so, so ALL 4 of the designated drop off sites are manned and secure, of course. The ludicrous idea that they can't be secure is just smokescreen. There is zero reason a county like Travis can't create and maintain 4 secure drop off locations.

There has been a massive campaign, "how to vote in Travis county" that's been out in public for weeks. All the ways you can vote, and how to do so.

Then today Abbott, out of nowhere, on the first day of drop off ballots, declares that all counties must designate only ONE drop off location.

This is getting worse and worse. Unapologetic political partisanship on the part of Abbott.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...ef=exit-recirc

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-01-2020 at 04:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2020, 04:44 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Are we talking about people awaiting trial, or criminals serving a sentence for their crime? If the latter, I thought convicted felons lost their voting privileges.
If you were aware that there are people in jail who haven't been found guilty of anything, why ask the question? Yes, some people currently in jail can vote.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:55 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
People currently in jail can vote??
Yes

Quote:
Are we talking about people awaiting trial, or criminals serving a sentence for their crime? If the latter, I thought convicted felons lost their voting privileges.
Convicted felons lose their right to vote. Those convicted of a misdemeanor do not, and you can be in jail for a year or more on a misdemeanor conviction.

Quote:
I see. Glad to hear that votes aren’t allowed to those currently in prison.
Judgmental, aren't we?

This is a really scummy thing for Abbot to do.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Yes

Convicted felons lose their right to vote. Those convicted of a misdemeanor do not, and you can be in jail for a year or more on a misdemeanor conviction.

Judgmental, aren't we?

This is a really scummy thing for Abbot to do.
I won't forget this.

He's done some stuff as Governor that's made me pretty mad, been a jerk, but then during COVID he actually listened to the Mayors and allowed them to make decisions for their cities based on their local statistics and hospitalizations.

I thought that was really leaderlike, in a crisis.

But this? I won't forget it. This is a naked attempt to keep fellow Texans, who are likely to vote democratic, from voting.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:02 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
This is so unworthy of the United States of America.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:17 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Dana DeBeauviour, the Travis County election commissioner, usually very circumspect, calm, professional, reassuring, is really angry.

As well she should be. This is petty, and partisan, to declare ONE drop off location per county. Some Texas counties are huge - it would truly be an imposition to have to travel across the county to drop off a ballot.

Today is the first day that voters could drop their ballots off, and would have to show identification to do so, so ALL 4 of the designated drop off sites are manned and secure, of course. The ludicrous idea that they can't be secure is just smokescreen. There is zero reason a county like Travis can't create and maintain 4 secure drop off locations.

There has been a massive campaign, "how to vote in Travis county" that's been out in public for weeks. All the ways you can vote, and how to do so.

Then today Abbott, out of nowhere, on the first day of drop off ballots, declares that all counties must designate only ONE drop off location.

This is getting worse and worse. Unapologetic political partisanship on the part of Abbott.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/po...ef=exit-recirc

She is angry because this will make it much harder for the Democrats to cheat and engage in election fraud in Travis County, and she apparently does not like that.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:21 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,565,672 times
More voter suppression by the GOP. They are PETRIFIED of lots of people voting.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:24 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Gov. Greg Abbott threw the weight of his office Thursday behind Republican efforts to limit options for Texas voters who want to hand-deliver their completed absentee ballots for the November election — a rebuke to some large, Democratic counties that have set up multiple drop-off locations in what they call an effort to maximize voter convenience. Texas is already a difficult state in which to vote by mail. Only voters who are disabled, over 65, in jail, or out of the state the entire voting period, can vote by mail. Harris County alone is larger than the state of Rhode Island. With ony one location, voters may have to drive 30 miles or more to drop off ballots.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10...xas-vote-mail/
He'll lose in court. This is a clear demonstration of how scared the GOP is of a Blue Tidal Wave in another month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies