Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 01:31 PM

47,069 posts, read 26,166,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Know what's missing from these protests?
Common sense, some sort of dress code and - well, it wouldn't hurt if a few of those guys hit the treadmill, now would it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 01:33 PM

47,069 posts, read 26,166,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You are engaging in revisionism. Sedition has been illegal from the early days of our republic.

The Second Amendment is rooted in State's Rights, not individual rights. As a safeguard against the newly created Federal government from dissolving and absorbing the individual states the right to organize and maintain well regulated militias was recognized in the Bill of Rights, and the expectation was the Federal professional army would be too small to be effective against the states.

Typically, militias depended upon their citizens bringing and maintaining their own arms. One way the Federal government could cripple the power of the states would be to disarm the militias. The Second Amendment is all about the state's right to organize and maintain a well regulated militia.

If the governor of Michigan did not call out these protesters and deputize them in the name of the state, they are not considered a militia.
You're not allowed to discuss the actual militia clause in the Constitution in this forum, I'm afraid. Just that amendment - you know the one - that refers to the militia.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,442,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Tosh. Ask the Whiskey Rebels.

George Washington felt so strongly on the subject of armed sedition that he personally led the rassum frassum army in the field against the insurrectionists.
Damn straight.

If you think government edicts are your best defense against that very same government you've already been enslaved.

You aren't going anarchist on us are ya?

Old 05-01-2020, 01:52 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,009,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It's better to fall dead on my face than to live in a guilded cage. I understand what they're trying to do and why. It seems to me we have taken the wrong course. We got a nose bleed and we're using a tourniquet on the neck to treat it.
And you put others at risk too. Nurses are still getting sick from it in does especially during intubations.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,442,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And you put others at risk too. Nurses are still getting sick from it in does especially during intubations.
The reason why "we're all in this together" is because individuals didn't have property rights to begin with ergo forced association is the norm across all aspects of society.

Start with property rights. It sorts out everything.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,503,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You have the full right to fall dead on your face. But unfortunately, the way this disease works, many others could fall dead on their faces too because you didn't take the proper precautions. And they may not have been as happy to do that as you seem to be.
It's my risk to take. I can wear PPE in public not that it does any good. You stop worrying about me and stop imposing your fears and obviously ineffective rules and standards on those of us with the means and will to go about our lives.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:12 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,925,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Hmm, I wonder what England would have said of 'America' during the American Revolution...'traitors and criminals, terrorists, etc'
It's irrelevant. Why? Because these paid protestors ain't doing jack ****. At least the founders actually scarified and took action. What are these 200 rubes doing other than looking tough and collecting a paycheck? None of them have enough guts to do anything.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,698,160 times
Quote:
Its called 'patriotism' in case you didnt know.
No, it is NOT patriotism! That's safety and security of the building! There are buildings that check firearms. Federal buildings are one! That's not taking away your rights. It gets checked when you walk into a federal building. Once you leave, you can have your firearm back!

Old 05-01-2020, 02:23 PM

13,842 posts, read 5,039,229 times
Quote:
Our govt MUST fear what the public is capable of, to prevent all out tyranny, the founding fathers knew this was the only defense against tyranny, why should it be any different today?

Very suspicious when a citizen sides with Govt instead of their fellow citizens.
Very suspicious? Is that some kind of threat?

Look, this is not an Anarchy. It's not everybody do their own thing. We elect representatives and governors to make decisions for handling crises like this one. If we think the representatives are making bad decisions, that's why we have elections. In the meantime, we are allowed to speak out and peacefully protest.

If Gov. Whitmer were to cancel elections and declare herself Governor-for-Life, that might warrant getting out the guns. But we can't have a minority of the citizenry intimidating the elected government just because they are armed.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,698,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Dodging the question I see. So if ANTIFA protested the same way you mean to tell me you wouldn't call them thugs and terrorists? If you do, what makes these idiots with weapons of war in legislative chambers different?
Show me when ANTIFA went into any building with guns!

I learned about the Black Panthers. They were OUTSIDE of buildings, showcasing guns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies