Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I don't really understand those who insist that the President 'visit the border'.

I fully understood and approved of President Bush visiting the site of the World Trade Towers (I guess September 12th). The country needed to see the President, and it was President Bush's finest hour.

I do not fully approve of Presidents 'touring' hurricane disaster zones, although I know that the locals probably appreciate it, due to the logistics: the local airports are being used for transferring supplies and manpower to the zone, but have to essentially shut down to allow Air Force One to land, then more security as the President helicopters or drives about, etc.

As for the Texas border: what part do people want the President to visit? The part at El Paso? Brownsville? It would have to be some place where the President could fly in. Then, what would he see? Would we have a photo of him standing, hands on hips, on the Texas side gazing off towards Mexico?

What of Governor Perry? I have not heard of him visiting the border. I googled 'rick perry visits border' and came up with nothing. Yet I do not think less of him for not visiting, for it doesn't make sense. It is not like one can just 'show up' somewhere along the 1,254 mile-long Texas-Mexico border, and expect to see gaggles of children crossing.

"Secure the border" also does not make sense. Again, 1,254 miles (almost 2,000 miles including Arizona and California). That is a lot of border. A lot of it is not accessible by road, and you have Falcon Lake to boot. Try building a fence in that lake.

It is easy to say 'secure the border', but thoughtful people realize that it simply cannot be done. I saw a documentary the other day (Netflick) about the 700+ miles of fencing that has been put up to date, and it was laughable how easy it was for people to go up, under and around said fence.

At the least, Congress needs to amend that cumbersome law (the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection law) that mandates that these children from specific countries (but not Mexico or Canada) be entitled to an administrative hearing and have an advocate.
Why does ANY President visit a site that is experiencing a tragedy? Hurricane Sandy, Joplin, Washington mudslide. etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Doesn't Perry have that option?
I guess you missed the story a little while back where Arizona was told to STOP it's actions against illegals by the Obama Admin, claiming immigration and defending the borders is a FEDERAL responsibility.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I do wonder if he's just decided to throw in the towel.

Good juxtaposition of pictures. Sadly, it reminds me of Bush and Katrina. See the link below: Bush enjoyed himself playing a guitar while people in New Orleans were literally drowning.

David Corn: Hurricane Katrina and Bush: A Tale of Two Photos
Before the US World Cup game he made a statement on TV wishing them luck. I said to my wife he looks terrible. Just look at any President before and after- it looks like their 8 years are alot longer then the American Civilian's.

It is not a job I would want.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea
I don't really understand those who insist that the President 'visit the border'.

I fully understood and approved of President Bush visiting the site of the World Trade Towers (I guess September 12th). The country needed to see the President, and it was President Bush's finest hour.

I do not fully approve of Presidents 'touring' hurricane disaster zones, although I know that the locals probably appreciate it, due to the logistics: the local airports are being used for transferring supplies and manpower to the zone, but have to essentially shut down to allow Air Force One to land, then more security as the President helicopters or drives about, etc.
I feel the same way, at this point in time, Obama visiting the border proves nothing!

Quote:
As for the Texas border: what part do people want the President to visit? The part at El Paso? Brownsville? It would have to be some place where the President could fly in. Then, what would he see? Would we have a photo of him standing, hands on hips, on the Texas side gazing off towards Mexico?
Right again, as conservative as I am, it would do nothing to help the problem...

Quote:
What of Governor Perry? I have not heard of him visiting the border. I googled 'rick perry visits border' and came up with nothing. Yet I do not think less of him for not visiting, for it doesn't make sense. It is not like one can just 'show up' somewhere along the 1,254 mile-long Texas-Mexico border, and expect to see gaggles of children crossing.
again I agree

Quote:
"Secure the border" also does not make sense. Again, 1,254 miles (almost 2,000 miles including Arizona and California). That is a lot of border. A lot of it is not accessible by road, and you have Falcon Lake to boot. Try building a fence in that lake.
Now this is up for debate....if the Chinese, way back when can build the "GREAT WALL", we can surely build a boarder fence....and by the way, Bush did sign a bill which built that fence thru Calif. and Parts of Texas, but it stopped when Obama became President And I'm certain now, Bush passed this law at the end of his term b/c he was being pressured by other republicans to do so, b/c another election was coming up....most American's do not see this as each election is in the near future.

Quote:
It is easy to say 'secure the border', but thoughtful people realize that it simply cannot be done. I saw a documentary the other day (Netflick) about the 700+ miles of fencing that has been put up to date, and it was laughable how easy it was for people to go up, under and around said fence.
Again I state, your wrong, if the wall were built properly and it was patroled, and the laws turned around to enable the border patrol to enforce that law, it can be done, as the Chinese did it, and how many miles was that, and it's still standing?

Quote:
At the least, Congress needs to amend that cumbersome law (the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection law) that mandates that these children from specific countries (but not Mexico or Canada) be entitled to an administrative hearing and have an advocate.
yes, you are right, they do, but first, the border must be secure...in the meantime, they can re-establish the laws so they work....and then deport everyone who is here illegally, and it may take years, but send them back home, and get the immigration system going....

Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Wow. Taking a photo from 6 years ago (and not even checking the date of it even) and using THAT as some criticism due to the border crisis to automatically assume he doesn't want to be president. I mean, I knew you were a puppet, but this is a new low even for you.
If she confesses that sin it will get her ten additional Hail Mary's.

BTW, Janelle, the truth is the President met with faith based (that means religious) groups yesterday to discuss the care of the Central American kids. Now you know the truth. You're welcome. I just saved you more time on your knees saying penance.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
He probably took a dump too.

The nerve of the President!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I guess this is his "path to citizenship"..crossing the Rio Grande and being transported to the ICE "welcome center" and then given a bus ticket to anywhere in the US.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Wow. Taking a photo from 6 years ago (and not even checking the date of it even) and using THAT as some criticism due to the border crisis to automatically assume he doesn't want to be president. I mean, I knew you were a puppet, but this is a new low even for you.
Why is it always this easy to disprove their nonsense?

You'd think after all this time that they would have learned to at least check date stamps.

So sad that so many are so gullible.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
The reason these idiot leftists don't care about what he does and follow him blindly is because he is them and they want to be him.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Doesn't Perry have that option?
Yes, he does. I remember Gov. Richardson sending the New Mexico National Guard to the NM/Mexico border some years back but neither Gov. Brewer nor Gov. Perry seem concerned enough to do the same.
Whining is more constructive I guess.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies