Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM

256 posts, read 207,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The market does deal with it though, and always does it better, faster and more fairly than if government deals with it. Consumers making millions, even billions of individual decisions every day have a better responsiveness to bad business than government could ever hope to.

You can insult me all you want, but I still don't think because a small minority uses their freedom in bad ways means freedom itself should be taken away.

Let a business owner remain free to refuse service to gay people, and what stops anyone from organizing a boycott and negative publicity campaign against that business owner's actions? In the extended stakeholder model, government removal of freedom is not required for the marketplace to self-correct.

And the reason you'll never see a libertarian government is that humans are not, as a species, sufficiently evolved to accept and be capable of running their own lives with only minimal government, and since every government ends up reversing the normal evolution by giving special protection to those that evolution would normally kill off, our species actually devolves and gets further away from actualizing as a species. Pretty much everything you type is evidence of that.
This just reeks of white, straight , male privilege. What would the market have done when my grandfather returning from WWII couldn't get served at lunch counters in the South? Not a damn thing, because society thought it perfectly ok to refuse service to someone based on skin color even one in uniform. If the market was so responsive why was Civil Rights Act necessary? It's because discrimination like this was still prevalent and not ending anytime soon.

This fact is behind all the high minded language, libertarians are either so blinded by privilege in not having to worry about facing discrimination. That they can afford to have an "it'll just take care of itself" attitude or they're just bigots looking to justify discrimination against groups they don't like.

Last edited by Spartanguy; 02-26-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
This just reeks of white, straight , male privilege. What would the market have done when my grandfather returning from WWII couldn't get served at lunch counters in the South? Not a damn thing, because society thought it perfectly ok to refuse service to someone based on skin color even one in uniform. If the market was so responsive why was Civil Rights Act necessary? It's because discrimination like this was still prevalent and not ending anytime soon.

This fact behind all the high minded language libertarians are either so blinded by privilege in not having to worry about facing discrimination. That they afford to have "it'll just take care of itself" attitude or they're just bigots looking to justify discrimination against groups they don't like.
Hammer hits nail on the head.. White males are all for the market because they know it means someone else will be left by the side of the road by a tow truck, or be denied a lunch or a chance to use a restroom. Listen to them howl when they think that they are the victims like when their religious rights are being squeezed. They are seriously trying to make the case that we need to allow discrimination against gays so they, themselves, are not discriminated against. Their freedoms are only preserved when the freedoms of others are taken away.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,347,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The flip side, should a homosexual-owned business (or any other business) be forced to participate in an action or event that they don't approve of? For example, should a homo-owned catering business be forced to serve food and provide services at a far-right religious organization's gathering that, say, was focused on addressing the "sin" of homosexuality? Should a black-owned business be forced to cater a KKK meeting? To the best of my knowledge, we're not talking about McDonalds refusing service to a homosexual couple, we're dealing with businesses that specifically have to "participate" in the ceremony or event, one which they may not approve of or find distasteful. The example I use...a male stripper that performs for bachlorete parties-should they be required to perform for homo males? How about a vegan catering business...should they be forced to serve hamburgers at a cattleman's convention?

This bill has very little to do with "gay rights" crap. It has everything to do with freedom to choose who you associate with.
Clueless, as usual.
A vegan catering business will be more than happy to cater a Cattleman's convention, as long as they choose from her vegan menu. It's a vegan business. She can cater whatever she wants, as long as they pick from the menu that's already on offer. Which is vegan.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,637,319 times
Several states are legislating to discriminate

Why should clergy be forced to participate in a ceremony which by their faith is an abomination? Next they will be saying that it is unconstitutional to say in church services that homosexuality is anathema. Are we ALL supposed to be politically correct? Please DON'T suppose to take the moral high ground and say it's HATE to NOT give up your religious beliefs in favor of what's currently in vogue. And please DON't compare this to African-American civil rights.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,240,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Several states are legislating to discriminate

Why should clergy be forced to participate in a ceremony which by their faith is an abomination? Next they will be saying that it is unconstitutional to say in church services that homosexuality is anathema. Are we ALL supposed to be politically correct? Please DON'T suppose to take the moral high ground and say it's HATE to NOT give up your religious beliefs in favor of what's currently in vogue. And please DON't compare this to African-American civil rights.
This is not about clergy, or churches. It is about businesses being able to turn away customers that are gay.

No church or clergy member in this country has ever been forced to perform a marriage ceremony that they choose not to.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM

493 posts, read 784,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Any person that doesn't want to serve women shouldn't have to.
Any person that doesn't want to serve blacks shouldn't have to.

What century are we in?
We are in a century where one very small but extremely vocal minority used political connections and sued and fought in appeal after appeal to have a License ruled to be a "Right".

If a Marriage License is a right, the certainly a Business License must be a right. And Rights can not be mutually exlcusive, one can not have their rights "picked and chosen" for them.

Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Association, Freedom of Speech did not all the sudden disappear because another Right was born.

If i wear my "Marriage = 1 Man + 1 Woman" hat and t-shirt to a pro guay-marriage establishment, i know there is a very small amount of christians who do believe that way. it wouldnt upset me to be asked to leave. my beliefs are very important to me, but they dont supercede anyone else's rights, i dont see why its so hard that understanding can't be returned.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,347,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
We are in a century where one very small but extremely vocal minority used political connections and sued and fought in appeal after appeal to have a License ruled to be a "Right".

If a Marriage License is a right, the certainly a Business License must be a right. And Rights can not be mutually exlcusive, one can not have their rights "picked and chosen" for them.

Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Association, Freedom of Speech did not all the sudden disappear because another Right was born.

If i wear my "Marriage = 1 Man + 1 Woman" hat and t-shirt to a pro guay-marriage establishment, i know there is a very small amount of christians who do believe that way. it wouldnt upset me to be asked to leave. my beliefs are very important to me, but they dont supercede anyone else's rights, i dont see why its so hard that understanding can't be returned.
Just out of curiousity, why do you do you keep using the Spanish term for "cool?"

Do you think gay marriage is cool?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 02-26-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

19,718 posts, read 12,293,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hammer hits nail on the head.. White males are all for the market because they know it means someone else will be left by the side of the road by a tow truck, or be denied a lunch or a chance to use a restroom. Listen to them howl when they think that they are the victims like when their religious rights are being squeezed. They are seriously trying to make the case that we need to allow discrimination against gays so they, themselves, are not discriminated against. Their freedoms are only preserved when the freedoms of others are taken away.
Only white males defend religious rights? Men and women of all races and religions will defend their religious rights.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,183,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Impossible to know, since civil and religious customs of that time only permitted unions between a man and a woman and there was no reason for gender-neutral proclamations re marriage.

On the other hand, Jesus was crystal clear about remarrying after divorce:
"Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery."

Begs the question, are bible-thumping wedding retailers denying service to divorced persons who are remarrying? If not seems a tad hypocritical.

My dad won't remarry people who have already been divorced for unscriptural reasons. In fact most Church of Christ preachers won't marry someone who has already been divorced based on the scripture you just used. I can' t speak for any other Christian religion...but they should all be following the rule if you ask me instead of picking and choosing which laws to obey.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times
Apparently, Ohio lawmakers have had a good hard look at Arizona and decided that they want no part of a similar debacle.

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - State lawmakers in Ohio withdrew legislation Wednesday that mirrors an Arizona bill that’s come under fire for protecting those who assert their religious beliefs in refusing service to gays.
Ohio bill on religion, gay rights is withdrawn - Washington Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.