Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Maybe YOUR cap is $3800, but how much is being subsidized?

If the best plan has a $2000 deductible, the pool is paying $1500 to the insurance companies for you.

Isn't it great?
The best plan has a $350 deductible.

It's just like going to your State Farm agent, and looking at plans there. The caps aren't subsidized. The deductibles aren't subsidized. Insurance companies have plans posted with the price. If you go through the ACA website, and you've submitted income information, the price that is posted includes the subsidy that you qualify for if you, like MOST Americans, earn less than 400% FPL. That means a single person earning $45960 or less qualifies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Surfman, you would not trade places with the welfare recipient you are questioning--or with anyone else who is not capable of taking care of themselves. We need to figure out a way to get help to those who need it on a more efficient, less disruptive basis than the hash they call Obamacare. But debating with recipients isn't likely to produce any form of agreement.
Maybe if you debated the actual topic of the thread you'd have more success.

Oh, but no, you can't. Because the topic of the thread is the unavailability of affordable deductibles on the ACA website. Since affordable deductibles are available, the topic has been thoroughly debunked.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Insurance is the REASON why costs are so friggen high to begin with, and thus why they have "negotiated" rates.

I disagree. I believe the "negotiated rate" is the insurance company telling the provider "We're not paying the bill of the deadbeats who came into your facility and left a fake address and so you can't collect any money from them!"

Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I found over a dozen with less than a $4000 deductible.

The Gold 350 has a $350 deductible. I think the out-of-pocket was topped at $6000.

Out of pocket is not topped at $6000. You have to pay the first $6000 before insurance actually kicks in and then they pay 80%. You are still responsible for 20% of the bill for most policies.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Quote:
Maybe if you debated the actual topic of the thread you'd have more success.

Oh, but no, you can't. Because the topic of the thread is the unavailability of affordable deductibles on the ACA website. Since affordable deductibles are available, the topic has been thoroughly debunked.
So we are taking past each other. Those who pay their own freight are (generally) having trouble finding affordable deductibles on the ACA website. Welfare recipients are (generally) not having trouble. Nobody is saying that the ACA policies are a bad deal for welfare recipients.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am not opposed to a single payer system - although a single payer isn't "free" like I hear some people say.

I am opposed to a bad law passed with deception and lies.

It will be "free" for those that don't file tax returns or live off the rest of us.

I have a solution to avoid insurance companies. Why not allow people to join the hospital of their choice and pay monthy premiums directly to the provider for unlimited service? It would be the same as joining a gym.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Keep convincing yourself that taxes are the same as means tested welfare programs.

Property taxes ARE means tested. If my house is valued at $900K and I choose not to have childresn and my neighbor the next street over lives in cottage valued at $80K, who do you think is paying to educate his 3 kids? Schools are funded through property taxes based on assessed value of your home.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Out of pocket is not topped at $6000. You have to pay the first $6000 before insurance actually kicks in and then they pay 80%. You are still responsible for 20% of the bill for most policies.
No. Many services are paid for exclusive of the deductible. Then, you have to pay $350, your deductible for those services not exclusive of the deductible. Some policies are 80/20, but not all, but whatever your co-pay, when you reach the out-of-pocket max, the co-pay no longer applies.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So we are taking past each other. Those who pay their own freight are (generally) having trouble finding affordable deductibles on the ACA website. Welfare recipients are (generally) not having trouble. Nobody is saying that the ACA policies are a bad deal for welfare recipients.
And you are arguing that anyone who receives an ACA subsidy, including a single person earning a little over $45,000, is a welfare recipient. And the point is, of course, to demean those people. How dare you work, earn a decent living, and still qualify for a health insurance subsidy! But the same people demeaning those receiving healthcare subsidies, were last year arguing that Mitt Romney and other rich people would be fools if they didn't take advantage of every tax loophole available to them.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
My deductible is $500.00 My out-of-pocket cap is $3800.00 Through the ACA website.
You didn't mention what that plan is costing you. Hmm... I wonder why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies