Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,323,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Are you kidding? You must not have any experience with a serious illness. I had a serious case of pneumonia several years ago and ended up in the hospital for 15 days. The bill when I got out? $110,000. No surgeries or procedures, just basically lying in a hospital bed and hooked up to an intubator for a couple of days. Yes, I had to pay about $3500 to cover my deductible, but the rest was paid by insurance.
^^^ Great example why insurance is such a necessary evil/scam. Life is a crapshoot. The odds are ultimately against you. Everybody gets sick (or murdered, accident, nobody gets out alive) and dies, eventually. You are always getting screwed. Either you are healthy and wasting money on insurance, or you are covered and SICK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Are you kidding? You must not have any experience with a serious illness. I had a serious case of pneumonia several years ago and ended up in the hospital for 15 days. The bill when I got out? $110,000. No surgeries or procedures, just basically lying in a hospital bed and hooked up to an intubator for a couple of days. Yes, I had to pay about $3500 to cover my deductible, but the rest was paid by insurance.
And I can assure you that your insurance company did NOT pay the providers $106,500. They pay greatly reduced bills per service than just the regular old guy on the street.

That's one of the problems I have with this whole thing - it's a giant shell game. Now - an indigent person wouldn't ever have paid that $106,500 either. Nor would a person making a lower middle class income. Nope, the providers wouldn't even expect payment in full - ever. But you know who they WOULD expect payment in full from? Not the insurance companies and not the lower middle class, but middle class and above - well, you're on the hook for the full balance, baby, and it doesn't matter if you have to sell your house, use your kids' college fund, or work two jobs. You're gonna pay up if it takes you the rest of your life. And you know why? Because they know you will - and they're counting on YOU to make up the difference when others don't pay.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They still ended up paying less per year than with a low deductible plan with higher premiums.

For instance, my friend had a $5K deductible for a plan that was $150 per month for a family. The total per year cost for the baby being born and the premiums was $6800.

If they had a plan with a low deductible of $50 for a family, the cost per month would be $600. For that year they would have paid $7250, so the high deductible plan was still cheaper and in a lot of cases this is true. Many people don't take into account that paying $300-$600 per month for insurance (I know people who pay $800 a month) does not mean that they are getting better care. It means they are just paying for something that in most cases they will not use.

And FWIW, my friend is not poor by any means so they were more than prepared to pay the $5K deductible because they are smart and keep money stashed away for unforeseen circumstances. Actually I feel that everyone should have access to a catastrophic $5K deductible plan (or even higher than that at $10K). Personally, I don't hardly ever go to the doctor, just for a check up as does my kids and husband. Yet we pay about $5K per year in premiums and still have to pay a co-pay. I'd rather just have a catastrophic plan for $50 a month and take care of $10K deductible if I had to do it. Hospitals do let you go on payment plans and it would be more affordable IMO to do that versus paying all this money for premiums that we aren't using.
Then what's the beef?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM

7,792 posts, read 8,065,384 times
My daughter was here over the holidays and helped me with the ins website.holy cow 900 a month 6500 deductible? She said it would be cheaper to replace my old truck.Carpenter here and actually use my truck everyday and the 90 ford has already had the engine rebuilt twice,the tranny once.So I bought a new truck. Sorry Obama voters I'm gonna enjoy the rest of my life not pay for you with what your boss lies and calls my fair share. my fair share is parked outside.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,435,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
OK. I want you to explain to me how a lady friend of mine benefited from this new plan she was forced into when her coverage was cancelled due to the ACA. Her premiums had been $186 a month, she payed a $2 copay and had $0 deductible. Under here new ACA policy she is paying $216 a month, she has no copay but she also has a $5800 deductible. This is not even a upper middle class woman and she can't afford the deductible so in effect she has no insurance anymore but has to pay $216 a month for the privilege of going without healthcare. Explain to me how this benefited her. I fully intend to pass your response on to her...
I'm not sure why you think anything was done to personally benefit HER. Nobody was saying this was going to make things cheaper for everyone. Whether it's a tax or a higher premium or a deductible, unless you are poor and get subsidies you knew the cost was going to go up with healthcare reform. Sorry about your friend, it's the new reality. Things couldn't stay the way they were.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,997,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The best plan has a $350 deductible.

It's just like going to your State Farm agent, and looking at plans there. The caps aren't subsidized. The deductibles aren't subsidized. Insurance companies have plans posted with the price. If you go through the ACA website, and you've submitted income information, the price that is posted includes the subsidy that you qualify for if you, like MOST Americans, earn less than 400% FPL. That means a single person earning $45960 or less qualifies.
Where is the government getting the money to subsidize this ACA plan? You do realize we're trillions in debt? Is China paying for this?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,960,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not sure why you think anything was done to personally benefit HER. Nobody was saying this was going to make things cheaper for everyone. Whether it's a tax or a higher premium or a deductible, unless you are poor and get subsidies you knew the cost was going to go up with healthcare reform. Sorry about your friend, it's the new reality. Things couldn't stay the way they were.
Cute... I was using her as an example. There are millions out there that are in her shoes. She isn't the only one. She is barely in the lower middle class. Thanks to this, she in all essence has NO HEALTH CARE. This is NOT a catastrophe policy.. How is this any improvement over what we had? It isn't and you can't show me how it is. Yeah, you covered the poor but I bet they are getting a better plan than she is. Is that right? Is she getting health care with this policy? No she isn't. The point is not that her premiums increased, the point is, her premiums increased, her deductible is cost prohibitive, and now she is uninsured until she pays $5800 which she doesn't have and can't afford. You took away healthcare from those struggling to survive on a lower income and left them without anything. Would you be saying the same thing if this was your policy?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Where is the government getting the money to subsidize this ACA plan? You do realize we're trillions in debt? Is China paying for this?
We're subsidizing a lot of health care now.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM

41,010 posts, read 49,515,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But I believed Obama when he said we were all getting a $2500 reduction in policy costs.

You mean he lied about this also ? Damn

Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 PM

24,445 posts, read 27,206,956 times
I got a new plan through CoveredCA...

$356/month
PPO
NO Deductible
Insurance covers 80%
Blue Shield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies