Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

deductibles??

The higher the deductibles, the less premium.
But let's review what this is doing.

To keep monthly budgets inline with income, many middle class are opting to a higher deductible.
Our plan went from an already high of $5000 deductible and it was like not having insurance, to now a $10,000 deductible, that I would never be able to meet, if I had an hourly or salary job. How could you meet your monthly budget when you just make it month to month. There goes a car payment... Savings for the kids college, gone. Winter heating bill? May need to make your own fireplace! and get a saw and axe.

This bill was not about our healthcare. Not one bit about healthcare. Healthcare.gov is very misleading. It should be Insurance.org.
This is nothing but to make insurance companies money, not to lower any cost or better more efficient healthcare. It has noting to do with healthcare, when you pay a high premium, and still have to pay for all the doctor bills.

The rich can afford higher deductibles, but the middle class cannot, so they are out of pocket more putting them further toward the impoverished. 2 class society is the goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
New benefits and protections have led to higher deductibles. The bastard ACA has some great protections but it comes at a cost. There is now a cap on deductibles ($12,500 per family/year) - but that's still about 25% of the median family income. In the 'appendicitis' post someone was claiming that a $11,000 deductible/co-pay for an appendectomy was very reasonable.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
My deductible is $500.00 My out-of-pocket cap is $3800.00 Through the ACA website.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
I never got the whole deductible thing. Health insurance is such a scam. It's just not worth having anymore. Why should you have to pay a premium each month and an extra $5,000 a year before the insurance covers anything? Doesn't seem fair. I think it would be best if they got rid of deductibles altogether and just had everyone pay premiums each month and covered 80 to 90 percent of healthcare costs.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
I just paid my wifes new premium for 2014. Same policy went up about 30% and thats because we are outside the 400% FPL.
People can complain all they want about how everyone is paying more for the ACA but most arent. People who are paying more are the people who had already high policies bought on the open market. Thats a small percentage of the people who are insured and its a smaller number who are now paying more because they are outside the FPL. The funny thing is I am almost on a cadillac plan with no deductible and very small copays through my employer for just a little more money. Their is no way the ACA is going to run out of money as many predict. The insurance companies kind of remind me of some of the investment scams where they promise a return on all the profits,except they never make a profit. In this case the insurance companies are supposed to spend 85% of the money on health care. The way they cook the books and are allowed to set aside money most people wont get a return. Now my insurer has set aside more than a billion dollars. The coming year should be interesting though.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
My deductible is $500.00 My out-of-pocket cap is $3800.00 Through the ACA website.
Monthly premium?

You know just to put it into perspective.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I never got the whole deductible thing. Health insurance is such a scam. It's just not worth having anymore. Why should you have to pay a premium each month and an extra $5,000 a year before the insurance covers anything? Doesn't seem fair. I think it would be best if they got rid of deductibles altogether and just had everyone pay premiums each month and covered 80 to 90 percent of healthcare costs.

To get the insurance company "negotiated rate" you have to have an insurance policy else you will be billed 100% for the service. To pay a high deductible, you can use a credit card and pay it off over time. Insurance is for catestrophic events, not day-to-day treatment.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
because INSURANCE has never been about your health

meanwhile many people don't want or need insurance

Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
To get the insurance company "negotiated rate" you have to have an insurance policy else you will be billed 100% for the service. To pay a high deductible, you can use a credit card and pay it off over time. Insurance is for catestrophic events, not day-to-day treatment.
I agree thats what we have done over the past several years. Very little has actually been paid by the insurance company. The private providers though have billed us for the "full bill" and we have had to check back with the insurance on the billable amount.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Monthly premium?

You know just to put it into perspective.
Less than $300 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies