Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
And because of Obamacare your older kids (if younger than 26) can stay on your health plan and be insured.
That depends. There are significant issues encountered by those who strive to attend college. For example, Mom and/or dad reside in the Chicago, Illinois area. Whichever of them gets health insurance through the exchange, it covers the whole family. That policy extends to children until they turn 26. Their child graduates High School, and heads off to college, say also in Illinois, but downstate at SIU.

According to Obamacare policies' very narrow networks, they'll have no in network coverage in their college area.

What if the child goes to college out of state? Same problem: no in network coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There are many what ifs... How bout this one... What if the Republicans would have put forth a good candidate?
This is the truth. I honestly feel he would have won regardless. Romney was a poor candidate choice for the GOP. You all might not want to admit it, but he was. It is ridiculous that Obama won (and I actually voted for him) when the country was in such a bad state, but Romney was just an atrocious candidate and all the divisiveness based on race, gender, and class (please see below about "the Blacks") is the reason why the GOP is out of touch and should have ousted the Tea Party and picked another nominee over Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, b/c at that time, people still loved him, he was a favorite still with the Blacks...
as you know, unfortunately some people vote on ethenticity, religion or one or two issues.
So, I don't believe it hurt him to badly....
I voted for him his first term, but when I saw how he doubled Bush's deficit, that was it for me, especially after his promises to take care of spending, and to create jobs....(which is beyond me, how a president can create jobs) but I believed him in his first term and wanted change. We never got it, all we have now, is a dictatorship, a lot of broken promises and a huge distrust for not only Obama, but also for the government.

and, the shocker is, with all that Obama has not accomplished, 4 out of 10 people still support him? That is freakin scary, really scary!!!!!!!
LOL at the bold, which I alluded to before.

But the rest of your rant is VERY....I'll say silliness polarization.

Dictator lol. You all are way too much.

To the mods, can we have an "Obama lies" sticky? It seems that this forum has been overtaken as late with all the Obama lies about healthcare threads.

All in all though Obama is a better choice than Romney. You all can moan and whine and make crazy allegations about Obama being a dictator all you like, but most Americans voted for him because they didn't like Romney and even though Obama isn't perfect, he just was a better option than his contender.

I'll hold off on giving so many complaints about Obamacare until it goes into effect. I know a lot of what is in it and wasn't dumb enough to think that those people who were on crappy plans weren't going to lose their "plans." This was evident in the fact that the ACA upgrades the types of services offered by insurance companies and mandates that they include certain types of care. So of course people on cheap plans that hardly cover anything would lose their benefits.

I actually was thinking of switching to a crappier plan - one with only catastrophic coverage, basically an HSA with a $5K deductible but covers me fully if I get into a horrible car accident or get cancer after the $5K deductible with Kaiser. I found out early, about 6-8 months ago, that I would not be eligible for this type of plan anymore under Obamacare. But I figured that there would be another one made available and oddly enough Kaiser now does have one like that, but I would rather look on the healthcare.gov site when it is fully operational and see if I can get a better price on a bronze plan as Kaiser's was too much IMO versus what we pay through my husband's employer.

I honestly do believe people will like the plans once Obamacare goes into effect next year. I know the conservatives/GOP/Tea Partiers want to b*tch and moan about it, but only time will tell if it is effective and I have an inkling that it will be so I will hold off judgement on the actual plans until they go into effect.

In regards to the website, that is a whole other story. I actually did get my aunt a plan really early on on the site but have been trying to get my mom on one for over a month now and we have decided to wait until December to try again. Regardless she is excited about it as she hasn't had insurance in a long time (she is self employed) so is looking forward to having coverage. The Kaiser estimation site gave her a good monthly premium rate, but we shall see.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:22 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times
Now that is a novel idea, a politician winning on lies. Romney lied out his rear end, Nixon was the king of lies. You could write a book on lies, like Weapons of mass destruction. LOL How many have died in Iraq over lies of yellow cake and WMDs? Hmmmm, wait there are many books on lies of presidents. LOL

Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Actually, Bush's last deficit was $1.3 trillion dollar.

Obama has reduced the deficit.
Yes.

But...that's a deceptive number.

Our debt keeps piling up. Too many governmental expenses are excluded from being counted as part of the deficit. Whoppers like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac obligations and now Obamacare are not counted in the deficit.

If anyone is interested, this is a decent article - National Deficit and Debt

Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The ACA is protection for consumers that they would never have had in the health insurance marketplace. Insurance companies can deny you or drop you for pre-existing conditions, raise your premium, deny coverage based upon paperwork errors and just arbitrarily ********* over...on a whim. No one was immuned to this type of vulture practice, even the people that are up in arms over their fabulous insurance being cancelled.

The right wingers are the only people that ALWAYS rant against their own best interests, whether it be doing away with pollutants, toxins, unhealthy food additives, regulating non-consumer friendly and fraudulent business practices r now protection from junk or unreliable health coverage. Are you people crazy or just plain stupid?
Wrong...first of all none of this applues to group coverage, only individual. Secondly, they can't drop you for pre-existing (unless you lied), in some statrs they could deny you but, not drop you. They can raise everyone's rates but, not one policyholder and not another. As far as paperwork errors goes, iI have no idea what you're talking about. They can't just arbitrarily screw people over, they're accountable for all their actions and have to answer to the department of insurance in each state annually...as well as in a court of law if sued. Most of the coverage being cancelled is because of lack of maternity coverage. Individual PPO's didn't because if you needed it, you went on an HMO instead...who wants to pay the deductible on a PPO for maternity? An HMO (which includes matrrnity) has a co-pay for the hospital rather than a PPO which would have the deductible and then the co-insurance amount for the hospital

Last edited by Danno3314; 11-08-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
And because of Obamacare your older kids (if younger than 26) can stay on your health plan and be insured.
But good luck finding providers that are in your health plan's network if they live out of state. And at some point, kids need to get free of their parents.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
O's presidency is now crippled.cIn 2014, the Democratic Party will pay the price.

He got his 2nd term but will wish he hadn' t for the next 3 years.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
But good luck finding providers that are in your health plan's network if they live out of state. And at some point, kids need to get free of their parents.
I've already told him that. College, internship, job outside of local area network = no insurance coverage.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That depends. There are significant issues encountered by those who strive to attend college. For example, Mom and/or dad reside in the Chicago, Illinois area. Whichever of them gets health insurance through the exchange, it covers the whole family. That policy extends to children until they turn 26. Their child graduates High School, and heads off to college, say also in Illinois, but downstate at SIU.

According to Obamacare policies' very narrow networks, they'll have no in network coverage in their college area.

What if the child goes to college out of state? Same problem: no in network coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've already told him that. College, internship, job outside of local area network = no insurance coverage.
You do realize that the insurance providers participating in Obamacare actually do have networks out of state right?

Some of the comments on this site are really interesting.

Most insurance providers have agreements with other providers allowing their customers to use the other providers facilities while out of state.

I was on my dad's plan in college (Promedica in Ohio) and even though Promedica is not in GA, I called them and they gave me a whole list of "in network" providers in the state of GA that I could go to.

We formerly had Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA and I had to go to the doctor before in Ohio when visiting family so called BCBS of GA and they gave me a list of urgent care places I could go to that were "in network."

My nephew, who was on a Medicaid program came to visit me one summer and hurt his neck. I called Ohio Medicaid (they were also run through an insurance program, one affiliated with Wellcare here in GA) and they told me what clinics/pediatricians I could take him to that were "in network" so that I wouldn't have to pay any fees.

We have Humana now and anytime I go on a trip, I look up in-network providers for those areas. From what I have seen United and Aetna are both insurance providers in Obamacare. They both have extensive networks across the country (United does a lot of Medicare policies BTW and Medicare in many ways is similar to the Obamacare plans) where one can find an "in-network" provider basically anywhere in the country.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The ACA is protection for consumers that they would never have had in the health insurance marketplace. Insurance companies can deny you or drop you for pre-existing conditions, raise your premium, deny coverage based upon paperwork errors and just arbitrarily ********* over...on a whim. No one was immuned to this type of vulture practice, even the people that are up in arms over their fabulous insurance being cancelled.

The right wingers are the only people that ALWAYS rant against their own best interests, whether it be doing away with pollutants, toxins, unhealthy food additives, regulating non-consumer friendly and fraudulent business practices and now protection from junk or unreliable health coverage. Are you people crazy or just plain stupid?
How do you know what is in someone elses best interest, other than your childs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies