Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,563 times

Advertisements

I keep reading on this forum how people have these great health care plans at their jobs and how much worse off they would be if we had universal health care.

If you have a low monthly payment for health insurance through your employer, that only means that your employer is paying a larger part of the bill. That's money that could be getting paid to you in the form of salary, but instead goes to insurance. EVERYONE pays roughly the same amount for health insurance in this country. The actuarial tables don't change much from employer to employer. The monthly premium for a family of 4 generally averages out to around $700 - $800 a month. Under a universal health care system, that cost gets spread over the entire population.

Now, let's do the math together:

If you make $5000 a month gross income you probably pay around 27% in income tax. That's around $1350 a month.

You also probably pay around $150 a month in insurance premiums.

Your employer probably pays around $550 a month for your insurance premiums. Again, that's money that could be paid to you as salary, but instead goes to insurance.

So let's say the government implements universal health care. What does that mean for your bottom line? Well, they estimate that there would be an aggregate increase in income taxes of 1-2% over time. Let's go with the higher amount just to be conservative.

If your income tax went up by 2%, you would pay an additional $100 per month in income taxes. That's bad because we all don't like paying more taxes!

But, with universal health care, you would no longer pay insurance premiums and your employer also would no longer pay premiums. That's a savings of about $700 a month. That's good because we all like savings!

So they could pay you $700 a month more which, after your tax increase, equals around $586 more a month in your pocket than you get under the current system. That's an almost 14% pay raise!!! The end result being that every person in America gets to have health insurance and at the same time we all have more money in our pockets, which really should make even the most conservative Americans perfectly happy.

And this doesn't even account for co-pays, deductibles, and other out of pocket expenses that would go away. Fact is, employer based health insurance coverage is killing American business and taking money out of the pockets of every one in order to benefit a few insurance companies. The system is broken and has to be changed. I'll be happy to pay 2% more in income taxes in order to earn 14% more in salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,520,954 times
A 2% tax, I call BS! Are you forgetting that all of us will be paying for the 47 million who are uninsured and DO NOT pay taxes. Medicare taxes all taxpayers 1.5% for mostly those who are over 65 years old. What makes you think tax payers will only be taxed at 2% to insure over 300 million Americans? Medicare is almost broke, how on planet Earth will a tax of 2% sustain UHC for over 300 million of us?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
A 2% tax, I call BS! Are you forgetting that all of us will be paying for the 47 million who are uninsured and DO NOT pay taxes. Medicare taxes all taxpayers 1.5% for mostly those who are over 65 years old. What makes you think tax payers will only be taxed at 2% to insure over 300 million Americans? Medicare is almost broke, how on planet Earth will a tax of 2% sustain UHC for over 300 million of us?
Because the elderly on Medicare and the dissabled (those too sick to hold a job) are by far the highest healthcare expenditure in the US and are already on the government healthcare system.

Quote:
Five percent of the population accounts for almost half (49 percent) of total health care expenses.
The 15 most expensive health conditions account for 44 percent of total health care expenses.
Patients with multiple chronic conditions cost up to seven times as much as patients with only one chronic condition.
The High Concentration of U.S. Health Care Expenditures

Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,943 times
Quote:
Is this the NEW America OBSESSION? I DON'T PAY TOWARDS OTHER PEOPLES HEALTH. Get real.........You pay every day for the Illegals who use the American System in your tax now.
This Poster has shown you in black and white what a UHC will mean to your salary. What it will mean to your employer and please don't forget the huge amounts of new jobs created building a UHC, Working in a National UHC and running the UHC. If you don't give a damn about the welfare of other Americans then at least look at the simple math and the huge job opportunities that will be created all over America.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,520,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Is this the NEW America OBSESSION? I DON'T PAY TOWARDS OTHER PEOPLES HEALTH. Get real.........You pay every day for the Illegals who use the American System in your tax now.
This Poster has shown you in black and white what a UHC will mean to your salary. What it will mean to your employer and please don't forget the huge amounts of new jobs created building a UHC, Working in a National UHC and running the UHC. If you don't give a damn about the welfare of other Americans then at least look at the simple math and the huge job opportunities that will be created all over America.
Saying that a 2% tax on all tax payers will cover ALL of the costs for UHC is ridiculous. Half of Americans don't even pay taxes. WTH do you not understand? At a tax rate this low, there is NO way we would have enough money pay for UHC for all Americans. I'm not against everyone having health insurance, I just think this needs some serious debate. Why should we ram through legislation without debate. And here I thought the right wing nut jobs were crazy, the far left is just as insane.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 PM

709 posts, read 657,205 times
I think you overlooked a major factor in your "math". Do you honestly believe most companies are going to give you that money back? Hell no. Not to mention, politicians love going after business with taxes, so more profits=more taxes.

With the majority of people in government, as long as we are receiving a paycheck, we are making too much money

Old 06-21-2009, 01:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,538,973 times

Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
I think you overlooked a major factor in your "math". Do you honestly believe most companies are going to give you that money back? Hell no. Not to mention, politicians love going after business with taxes, so more profits=more taxes.

With the majority of people in government, as long as we are receiving a paycheck, we are making too much money
Well, as things currently stand, they just ship your job overseas to reduce their health insurance costs. Even if they didn't give it all back to you, eliminating the burden of providing health insurance to employees would encourage companies to stay in business here in America. The current system is killing business, especially small business.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:23 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,943 times
Quote:
Saying that a 2% tax on all tax payers will cover ALL of the costs for UHC is ridiculous. Half of Americans don't even pay taxes. WTH do you not understand? At a tax rate this low, there is NO way we would have enough money pay for UHC for all Americans. I'm not against everyone having health insurance, I just think this needs some serious debate. Why should we ram through legislation without debate. And here I thought the right wing nut jobs were crazy, the far left is just as insane.
NO ONE knows exavtly how much a UHC will cost. Amazing how no one knows, yet so many have decided it will be too much. I can only go by what i pay in the UK and what i get for the Money and what i get in The USA and what i get for the money in America. In the UK the norm is about 11% but that is for Health, Unemployment,Sickness benefit, Old age pension,Housing costs for the sick or unemployed, etc etc etc.
Any one earning under £110 ($180 approx) per week pays NO tax for health etc. I have posted a tax chart in a earlier post. 2% tax just for health care seems obtainable. Even if it was higher it will still be much cheaper than existing Insurance premiums.
I agree it needs serious debate. It must be looked at with open eyes and not biased "it will fail" eyes.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Most of the money necessary to pay for universal health care comes out of the savings incurred by moving to a single payer system. Keep in mind that right now a tremendous amount of money goes to profits and executive salaries. The CEO of United Healthcare Corporation was paid $1.6 Billion.

Think about that. Assuming that it costs around $500 a month for coverage, there's enough money to insure 3.2 million Americans in that one guys paycheck alone! Meanwhile, he lost money for the company. That's a criminally dysfunctional system and it needs to be changed. When one guys paycheck is big enough to provide insurance for almost 10% of Americans without health insurance it's pretty easy to see where the problem is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies