Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,448,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Um, if you have enough money to buy lottery tickets while at the same time asking the state to pay for your food, housing, bills, etc. then you've defrauded the state and lied about your intentions for the money they've agreed to help you with.

Now please answer the question I previously posited.

Food can cost a lot of money, lottery tickets about $1 - $3 and either way ebt,food stamps things like that can't be used for lottery tickets.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,018,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
How is using a dollar or two from someone's *paycheck* criminal activity???

Those on the dole have no paychecks. Those who work have paychecks.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,544,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Food can cost a lot of money, lottery tickets about $1 - $3 and either way ebt,food stamps things like that can't be used for lottery tickets.
Oh, I got you. Another person that doesn't understand the "dollar saved is a dollar earned."

I'm not sure if I should be amused or disgusted by the ignorance...

Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,460,912 times
Quote:
Um, if you have enough money to buy lottery tickets while at the same time asking the state to pay for your food, housing, bills, etc. then you've defrauded the state and lied about your intentions for the money they've agreed to help you with.

Now please answer the question I previously posited.

Verb
Illegally obtain money from (someone) by deception.
defrauded definition - Google Search.

Once again, if I take MY money that I earn from MY job, and buy a lotto ticket there is nothing criminal about it. You and other people may not like it or agree with it, but that doesn't make it criminal. I might also use a few dollars - again, from my paycheck - to treat myself to lunch or a movie. Is that criminal? Are you really so riled up over a few dollars?

And to answer your question - If I gave someone $100 to pay a bill and she used it all to buy lotto tickets, then no I would not be happy. If she used $1 to buy a lotto ticket, well, I have much larger things in my life to worry about.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,365,900 times
Libs violently defend activities such as this. It makes them feel better about their crappy lives.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Once again, if I take MY money that I earn from MY job, and buy a lotto ticket there is nothing criminal about it. You and other people may not like it or agree with it, but that doesn't make it criminal. I might also use a few dollars - again, from my paycheck - to treat myself to lunch or a movie. Is that criminal? Are you really so riled up over a few dollars?

And to answer your question - If I gave someone $100 to pay a bill and she used it all to buy lotto tickets, then no I would not be happy. If she used $1 to buy a lotto ticket, well, I have much larger things in my life to worry about.
Except that we know that people that play the lottery play it routinely (which I think is twice a week).

We also know that if you're throwing away money on gambling and your financial acumen is crappy they're not mutually exclusive.

Go back to the investing post that I posited earlier. Two tickets per play for 40 years at $2 a play is $26,000 at a very reasonable 2% interest rate.

This all goes back to choices...

Netflix or bonds...
Lottery tickets or stocks...
Beer or savings...

Can I have (not borrow) $100? :-P

Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,018,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Libs violently defend activities such as this. It makes them feel better about their crappy lives.
Its' an entitlement mentality. They do not differentiate between spending prudently when one is on the dole vs when one is self-sufficient.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Its' an entitlement mentality. They do not differentiate between spending prudently when one is on the dole vs when one is self-sufficient.
Thank you...

Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,460,912 times
Quote:
Except that we know that people that play the lottery play it routinely (which I think is twice a week).

We also know that if you're throwing away money on gambling and your financial acumen is crappy they're not mutually exclusive.

Still not criminal, still none of your business, and still not FACT.

You don't know who plays the lottery when or how often or what their financial status is. Some people only play when the jackpot gets huge. Some people buy into the office lotto ticket pool. Some people get/give tickets as gift. Every now and then you will hear that a winner bought a ticket on a lark, just for the heck of it. I have personally only bought 2 lotto tickets in my life.

Are you standing on line at your local gas station, asking everyone where their money came from and what kind of government assistance they receive? No? Then you don't know.

I would really suggest you do something with your time to help out the poor rather than criticize them for what you have made up to be criminal choices.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,788,343 times
Quote:
If you profit from criminal activity or money then you don't get to keep the profits when you get caught.

The fact that you have a hard time understanding that is very telling.
Oh man, I hate this. Im sooo sick of you selfrightous, moral zombies. Its like you don't have a mind of your own, someone in your party will say the problem in american is those lazy, morally bankrupt(lets face it! if your poor your poor because you did something wrong or you have no morals, at least this is what the majority of ppl like you think) poor ppl. You bicker over small stupid things($%%# lottery ticket omg!) Your sick john, so im going to work with your ideal of morals to prove my point. You know john, i would be more upset about the lazy morally bankruptted entitled corporate owners, then the lazy poor dude who buys a lottery ticket. Did you know the last corporate bailout of the banks was the total budget of homeless services and sec 8 combined for the last decade! Millions of U.S cont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies