Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,523,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
THIS doesn't even make sense - distribute 100% of the winnings so that, what, they will then have to remain on welfare? Ok, sure.
If you profit from criminal activity or money then you don't get to keep the profits when you get caught.

The fact that you have a hard time understanding that is very telling.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
All of the complainers on here just need someone to put all the blame on. If poverty was eradicated in this country, well then I guess you'd still have immigrants and young people to blame for all the problems of the country.

If you see welfare fraud - REPORT IT. Just know that the rest of us poor folks - yes, me included - are quietly living our lives getting by and working toward a better future.
That's exactly what we're advocating. If people on welfare are buying lottery tickets then they need to be reported. If they win they shouldn't have any claim to those funds at all and the winnings should be dispersed to all those people with a positive tax liability.

Have a good day ma'am...

Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,453,997 times
How is using a dollar or two from someone's *paycheck* criminal activity???

Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,220,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
More Than 3,500 Michigan Lottery Winners Are Benefitting From Welfare: Government Report

Poverty is too comfortable in the United States, when people on public assistance have money to purchase lottery tickets.

Is there really true poverty in the United States? Most people in poverty, on SSI, public assistance, have cell phones, Internet, cable, these are hardly items that are necessary for activities of daily living.
Billionaires on Wall Street get welfare, (it's not called welfare, it's called stimulating the economy) so this is no surprise.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,526,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Why should they be ineligible to get the winnings simply because they're on public assistance? How about taking them off public assistance if they win a huge amount?
that's what I was thinking. why would you deny them the winnings and keep them on welfare paid for by the tax payers? lol. they have such hate for the poor they can't think straight.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
How is using a dollar or two from someone's *paycheck* criminal activity???
So your best friend, father, mother, son, daughter, etc. borrow money from you because they're "in need" and are having a "hard time." Later you find out they're buying lottery tickets with the money you thought was for food, housing, bills, etc.

You think that's okay and you'd still keep giving them money for those "needs" (i.e. wants)?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
that's what I was thinking. why would you deny them the winnings and keep them on welfare paid for by the tax payers? lol. they have such hate for the poor they can't think straight.
Poison fruit and bad apples comes to mind.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,453,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So your best friend, father, mother, son, daughter, etc. borrow money from you because they're "in need" and are having a "hard time." Later you find out they're buying lottery tickets with the money you thought was for food, housing, bills, etc.

You think that's okay and you'd still keep giving them money for those "needs" (i.e. wants)?

That's not what you said, and that's not what I said. You said it was "criminal activity" - your words. And I said, how is it criminal if someone earns a paycheck and takes $2 from that paycheck to buy a lotto ticket or two?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
That's not what you said, and that's not what I said. You said it was "criminal activity" - your words. And I said, how is it criminal if someone earns a paycheck and takes $2 from that paycheck to buy a lotto ticket or two?
Um, if you have enough money to buy lottery tickets while at the same time asking the state to pay for your food, housing, bills, etc. then you've defrauded the state and lied about your intentions for the money they've agreed to help you with.

Now please answer the question I previously posited.

Verb
Illegally obtain money from (someone) by deception.
http://www.google.com/search?site=&s....mobile-gws-hp.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,447,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
It's systemic. Food stamps: free food. Section 8: reduced housing. Obamaphones: $1.

It's a culmination of everything, so I can see why they have plenty left for lotto tickets.

That one chick had to pay back her welfare/food stamp benefits when she won.

Actually she didn't have to pay them back because she won, she had to pay them back because she continued collecting even AFTER she won. They found out and came after her for the money as well as they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.