Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,084,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Legalize marijuana and decriminalize simple possession of some other schedule 1 drugs and there's no longer a need for Mexican drug gangs.
The gun issue will work itself out once that's done.
they would take over some other market, like gas, or food, and that would be even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,681,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So you are saying that the cartels get ALL other weaponry from other sources, but get their guns from the US? LMAO. The Cartels don't use semi-auto's.
when did I say anything about Semi Auto's ? When did I say that the cartels get all other weaponry from other sources ?

I am guessing you were arguing with someone else and are confusing me with then, that or you are purposefully dodging what I actually said in my comments in an attempt to avoid having an actual conversation .

Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,681,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
"However, a close examination of the dynamics of the cartel wars in Mexico -- and of how the oft-echoed 90 percent number was reached -- clearly demonstrates that the number is more political rhetoric than empirical fact."

"The remaining 22,800 firearms seized by Mexican authorities in 2008 were not traced for a variety of reasons. In addition to factors such as bureaucratic barriers and negligence, many of the weapons seized by Mexican authorities either do not bear serial numbers or have had their serial numbers altered or obliterated. It is also important to understand that the Mexican authorities simply don't bother to submit some classes of weapons to the ATF for tracing. Such weapons include firearms they identify as coming from their own military or police forces, or guns that they can trace back themselves as being sold through the Mexican Defense Department's Arms and Ammunition Marketing Division (UCAM). Likewise, they do not ask ATF to trace military ordnance from third countries like the South Korean fragmentation grenades commonly used in cartel attacks."

"Of course, some or even many of the 22,800 firearms the Mexicans did not submit to ATF for tracing may have originated in the United States. But according to the figures presented by the GAO, there is no evidence to support the assertion that 90 percent of the guns used by the Mexican cartels come from the United States -- especially when not even 50 percent of those that were submitted for tracing were ultimately found to be of U.S. origin."
again, you guys are putting forth the same political lie that you claim Hillary is. Just look at the sentences right before you put them in bold red letters.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,870,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
again, you guys are putting forth the same political lie that you claim Hillary is. Just look at the sentences right before you put them in bold red letters.
This is from the GAO.

What part of this can't you understand?

"Of course, some or even many of the 22,800 firearms the Mexicans did not submit to ATF for tracing may have originated in the United States. But according to the figures presented by the GAO, there is no evidence to support the assertion that 90 percent of the guns used by the Mexican cartels come from the United States --especially when not even 50 percent of those that were submitted for tracing were ultimately found to be of U.S. origin."

Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM

Si, Can't Fix Stupid - YouTube

Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,472,794 times
Default Why do Mexican drug cartels get their guns in the US?

Short answer: the drug cartels get their weapons from a variety of sources. The percent coming from gun dealers in the US is small.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,499,595 times
Quote:
when did I say anything about Semi Auto's ? When did I say that the cartels get all other weaponry from other sources ?

I am guessing you were arguing with someone else and are confusing me with then, that or you are purposefully dodging what I actually said in my comments in an attempt to avoid having an actual conversation .
I may have quoted the wrong post. My bad.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I don't recall typing anything about Hillary.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM

57,398 posts, read 26,458,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't doubt that perhaps somewhere, sometime, a Mexican drug gangster might have bought a gun from a private seller at a US gun show. But the point is, it is so rare that neither you nor the OP can come up with a specific example.

If you were a Mexican drug gangster, which would you prefer: a seller whose primary source was " guns at bargain prices from elderly people " (from your link), or a fellow drug runner with contacts in Mexican special forces who could get you a full auto HK G-36?
It's difficult to put a number on private sales since they are unmonitored, the biggest problem is straw purchases and other trafficking but some private sellers have the cartels weapons of choice. If I could get a decent gun from a private seller, why would I even bother with a straw purchase.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,309,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
This is from the GAO.

What part of this can't you understand?

"Of course, some or even many of the 22,800 firearms the Mexicans did not submit to ATF for tracing may have originated in the United States. But according to the figures presented by the GAO, there is no evidence to support the assertion that 90 percent of the guns used by the Mexican cartels come from the United States --especially when not even 50 percent of those that were submitted for tracing were ultimately found to be of U.S. origin."
Actually interestingly I remember when the press switched from 90% of all traced weapons to 90% of all weapons, it was back in 2007/2008. I'm drawing no conclusions about that, just an observation.

Quote:
What the one I think you're referring to is this...
Quote:
Of course, some or even many of the 22,800 firearms the Mexicans did not submit to ATF for tracing may have originated in the United States.
Which is true but a speculation, since there is no evidence to suggest that some of the 22,800 originated or did not originate in the US. It's factual un-opinionated, and doesn't draw any conclusions.

To use an analogy if I bought 300lbs of Red M&M's some or even many may not be red. Unless I go to the trouble of going through each to find the non-red M&M's (or find there are none) it's a statement of fact. If I don't go through them all, I don't really care too much about the non-red M&M's. If I don't care about the non-red M&M's why do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies