Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Read Article I which defines a Militia as being under the command of the President, otherwise it is NOT duly constituted. The right seems determined to turn America into Somalia where everyone can have an anti aircraft gun in the back of their pick'em up
You clearly need to read Article I.

The US Constitution does not define militia. Congress did that in 10 USC 311. Every able-bodied male between the ages of 17 and 44, plus every female in the National Guard, constitute the US militia.

Furthermore, States also have militias that are separate, and independent of the US militia, and under the command of their respective Governors, not the President.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,546 times
Political correctness is particularly craptastic!

PC liberal media is crap!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I think that it is pretty silly to ban civilian versions of military weapons because the realty so called civilian versions of military weapons aren't full automatic nor to they even fire 3 round busts like the M4 or the M16. The civilian version of the M16 is semi-automatic like dozens of non-assault weapon semi-automatics. Ban a weapon because it has a pistol grip, is black and doesn't have a wooden stock doesn't make much sense to me because these are purely cosmetic.

BUT BANNING HI-CAPACITY MAGAZINES MAKES A WORLD OF SENSE!

No it doesn't solve the problem of gun violence but it would help.

No criminals don't pay attention to laws, but so what. The mere possession of a high capacity magazine allows law enforcement to arrest and confiscate what is out there. If prepers want to bury them for the day their Red Dawn fantasies come to fruition, fine, better buried than moving around the streets.

This is no silver bullet (pun intended) but its something.
No,, it will not reduce crime because crime using rifles make up less then 0.0001% of all crimes..

Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Six reasons why assault weapon shouldn't be banned huh..well I think of 26 reasons why they should be.
Your dead does not trump our rights...

Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
The main reason I would be against any assault rifle ban is that it was proven with the last ban that it did nothing to reduce the number of shootings and that it is like closing the barn door after the horses got out a month ago. The main reason people want them banned is because they believe falsely that they are used in many crimes, and that is simply not the truth, some people see assault rifles as intimidating looking and scary. When I bought my first one, my wife's reaction was oh my that is a scary looking gun, but once she spent some time shooting it she realized that it was no different from any other gun and now even owns her own because they are so much fun to shoot. Her reaction is the same as I have seen many people have, not only to AR's but also to any gun. I have only run into one person that once when given the opportunity to go and learn to safely operate a gun that did not change their mind and find that they actually enjoyed shooting and now own guns of their own and in her case her father was killed by a punk with a gun that shot him for less than $200. I think the fear of guns stems from ones ignorance of them and the warped point of view that we could somehow stop the violence if we could by some miracle remove all guns from society, mankind was just as violent before the invention of guns, heck look at what happened in Rawanda, the majority of murders where committed using machetes. Guns are tools, plain and simple and blaming an inanimate objects for the actions of man is focusing on the wrong thing, solve the issue of crime, especially gangs and then you really will address the issue, banning guns will only give you a false sense of security that will last until the next set of murders and then what are you going to ban bad behavior?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 AM

939 posts, read 795,730 times
I agree that the liberal media is to a large degree "the enemy". I also believe assault weapons should be banned- they serve no purpose except to kill. People do not need them for "protection". Unfortunately when it comes to the issue of guns in America- the horse is long gone out of the barn. It is too late to seriously address this issue. I guess I just don't understand why America is so "gun crazy". I've never owned one, and don't want one. My Father was career Air Force, and fought WW II in the Pacific- he was a Pearl Harbor Survivor, but never kept a gun. So many more innocent people are killed by their own guns that they have "for protection" than home invaders killed by those guns. I just don't get the fasination with guns?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Don't like guns? Don't buy one and stop trying to infringe on someone else's right to protect themselves.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The main reason I would be against any assault rifle ban is that it was proven with the last ban that it did nothing to reduce the number of shootings and that it is like closing the barn door after the horses got out a month ago. The main reason people want them banned is because they believe falsely that they are used in many crimes, and that is simply not the truth, some people see assault rifles as intimidating looking and scary. When I bought my first one, my wife's reaction was oh my that is a scary looking gun, but once she spent some time shooting it she realized that it was no different from any other gun and now even owns her own because they are so much fun to shoot. Her reaction is the same as I have seen many people have, not only to AR's but also to any gun. I have only run into one person that once when given the opportunity to go and learn to safely operate a gun that did not change their mind and find that they actually enjoyed shooting and now own guns of their own and in her case her father was killed by a punk with a gun that shot him for less than $200. I think the fear of guns stems from ones ignorance of them and the warped point of view that we could somehow stop the violence if we could by some miracle remove all guns from society, mankind was just as violent before the invention of guns, heck look at what happened in Rawanda, the majority of murders where committed using machetes. Guns are tools, plain and simple and blaming an inanimate objects for the actions of man is focusing on the wrong thing, solve the issue of crime, especially gangs and then you really will address the issue, banning guns will only give you a false sense of security that will last until the next set of murders and then what are you going to ban bad behavior?
Well said. The vast majority of crimes are committed with handguns, not the type of guns that gun grabbers are trying to ban. Will banning assault weapons reduce the frequency of mass shootings? Maybe, but probably not. Will they reduce the total number of gun assaults? Nope.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Well said. The vast majority of crimes are committed with handguns, not the type of guns that gun grabbers are trying to ban. Will banning assault weapons reduce the frequency of mass shootings? Maybe, but probably not. Will they reduce the total number of gun assaults? Nope.
For those that want to ban AR's I always refer them to the shootings at Columbine HS, there was a ban on AR's at the time and it did not prevent them from using AR's to shoot their fellow students. I also refer them to what the vast majority of law enforcement agencies where saying when it came to the ban, the ban did not reduce gun violence and that the ban was useless and should be lifted, which it was. Handguns are used in most crimes where a gun is involved and banning guns would not solve anything since most that use handguns to commit a crime do not own them legally and most law abiding gun owners would never turn theirs in, I wouldn't. Logic has never been on the side of those that want to bans guns and that does not even take into account the 2nd A, it is simply a knee-jerk reaction on the part of those that have not truly thought out the issue but believe they could make the Nation safer if bans were put in place. The right to own guns will never go away in the USA, far too many Americans are pro-gun ownership and see that it is far too late to do so even if they wanted them banned. The better solution to gun violence is to go after those that commit crimes with a gun, a large number of them being committed by gang members. Want to outlaw something, outlaw gangs, make it crime to belong to one, punishable by up to five years simply for belonging to one. Add Ten Years in prison to the time a criminal gets for committing a crime with a gun to be served after they served their time for the crime. Root out the gangs and destroy them, do that and the gun related crimes would drop dramatically, keep blaming the tool criminals use instead of blaming the criminal and nothing will change. Can we eliminate all gun violence, heck no, but we can reduce it.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Don't like guns? Don't buy one and stop trying to infringe on someone else's right to protect themselves.
My goodness, how does the rest of the developed world survive without a 2nd amendment.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies