Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,100,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
From one perspective, and in ancient times, being promiscuous may have increased the survival rate of offspring since potentially harmful males would not know the child was not theirs. Of course, this was before the invention of marriage and rights in private property.
I think there was some concept of family and societal bonds as long as there have been humans. I doubt humans ever lived outside of society much, especially out in the wilderness where survival was tough.

I'm sure some people were promiscuous when the opportunity to be arose, but a close-knit tribe wouldn't offer much opportunity -- those weren't exactly the "sex in the city" days where women could dump their children off at a babysitter and get to humping with some guy that came a long. If they left their infants laying on the ground, to wander off with some promiscuous guy that showed up, their infants would stand a very good chance of being hauled away by some wild animal.

I would think that when the stone age men were out hunting, if some Don Juan of them slipped away to go back to camp to get it on with the ladies of the other hunters, that the others would notice his absence for the hunt and he might even be kicked out of the clan or killed. And some woman would be sure to tattle on him. And if he tried to sneak off to the camp of another group of men to seduce the ladies there, he'd certainly be risking his life -- although I'm sure it happened a time or two.

Promiscuity probably amounted more to rape of unprotected women than seduction. If a woman wandered too far out away from the camp of her clan, she risked being raped, not seduced. And in tribal wars, women belonging to killed tribesmen would be raped and left or captured and taken to live with their capturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,692,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I do not if that is a fact, but if it is is because it is easier for women to have sex if so she wishes.

A man, not so easy

I never wanted to get pregnant. Not really into children or motherhood
Thank you for recognizing that "truth". I am just glad I don't ever have to get pregnant.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM

629 posts, read 951,135 times
Quote:
Would women feel the same way, if there were no communicable diseases and they could only get pregnant by Mr. Right?
I don't really see a any advantage to having a promiscuous partner. I like to keep someone's attention, and am not interested in shallow relationships.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Why do you believe that most women tend to have higher numbers than many men, if what you claim is true? I don't disagree that it may be true for you, right now.
The median reported number of lifetime sexual partners is 4 for women and 7 for men.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,379,188 times
Quote:
Thank you for recognizing that "truth". I am just glad I don't ever have to get pregnant.
yes women can get sex anytime they want pretty much. I believe we are not wired to spread our seeds, so maybe that is why men sex drive is higher than women

Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,692,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think there was some concept of family and societal bonds as long as there have been humans. I doubt humans ever lived outside of society much, especially out in the wilderness where survival was tough.

I'm sure some people were promiscuous when the opportunity to be arose, but a close-knit tribe wouldn't offer much opportunity -- those weren't exactly the "sex in the city" days where women could dump their children off at a babysitter and get to humping with some guy that came a long. If they left their infants laying on the ground, to wander off with some promiscuous guy that showed up, their infants would stand a very good chance of being hauled away by some wild animal.

I would think that when the stone age men were out hunting, if some Don Juan of them slipped away to go back to camp to get it on with the ladies of the other hunters, that the others would notice his absence for the hunt and he might even be kicked out of the clan or killed. And some woman would be sure to tattle on him. And if he tried to sneak off to the camp of another group of men to seduce the ladies there, he'd certainly be risking his life -- although I'm sure it happened a time or two.

Promiscuity probably amounted more to rape of unprotected women than seduction. If a woman wandered too far out away from the camp of her clan, she risked being raped, not seduced. And in tribal wars, women belonging to killed tribesmen would be raped and left or captured and taken to live with their capturers.
Did you know that during the Age of Chivalry, there were Courts of Love that dealt with adultery, not monogamy?

Quote:
Evolutionary psychologists propose that a conditional human tendency for promiscuity is inherited from hunter-gatherer ancestors. Promiscuity increases the likelihood of having children, and thus evolutionary fitness. Female promiscuity is advantageous in that it allows females to choose fathers for their children who have better genes than their mate, to ensure better care for their offspring, have more children, and as a form of fertility insurance.[22] Male promiscuity was likely advantageous because it allowed males to father more children.

Source: Promiscuity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
news politics
AlterNet / By Sally Lehrman
comments_image COMMENT NOW!
The Virtues of Promiscuity
The latest anthropological research shows that female infidelity is good for the family, the community, and even the gene pool.
July 21, 2002 |

"Slutty" behavior is good for the species. That is the conclusion of a new wave of research on the evolutionary drives behind sexuality and parenting.

Women everywhere have been selflessly engaging in trysts outside of matrimony. And they have been doing it for a good long time and for excellent reasons. Anthropologists say female promiscuity binds communities closer together and improves the gene pool.

More than 20 tribal societies accept the principle that a child could, and ideally ought to, have more than one father, according to Pennsylvania anthropologist Stephen Beckerman. "As one looks, it begins to crop up in a lot of places," says Beckerman, who has reviewed dozens of reports on tribes from South America, New Guinea, Polynesia and India as co-editor of the newly released book, "Cultures of Multiple Fathers."

Less than 50 years ago, Canela women, who live in Amazonian Brazil, enjoyed the delights of as many as 40 men one after another in festive rituals. When it was time to have a child, they'd select their favorite dozen or so lovers to help their husband with the all-important task. Even today, when the dalliances of married Barí ladies in Columbia and Venezuela result in a child, they proudly announce the long list of probable fathers.

Source: The Virtues of Promiscuity | Alternet

Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
yes women can get sex anytime they want pretty much. I believe we are not wired to spread our seeds, so maybe that is why men sex drive is higher than women
I think it may be a matter of pickiness more than sex drive.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I think it may be a matter of pickiness more than sex drive.
nope in my case it is not even that

The fact sex is so available and also that my drive is lower and that I am picky equals to going without it for long periods of time and living a happy life.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
nope in my case it is not even that

The fact sex is so available and also that my drive is lower and that I am picky equals to going without it for long periods of time and living a happy life.
I'd rather satisfy my sex drive by myself than with a guy I am not personally attached to in some way. (disclaimer: been contentedly married for a long time, so I guess I'm kind of looking back on how I was when single.)

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I'd rather satisfy my sex drive by myself than with a guy I am not personally attached to in some way. (disclaimer: been contentedly married for a long time, so I guess I'm kind of looking back on how I was when single.)
true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies