Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM

629 posts, read 949,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Er what, in nature the male typically impregnates the female and that's it. He doesn't play the role of the father, and the child doesn't need his or her father. His role is just to spread good genes. Once he's done, he goes away to do it again. To what extent paternal care is a natural feature of human biology is debatable but it's a part of human society.
That depends on the species. In some species the males do stick around to rear their young, like wolves. And humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Exactly. There's a reason men's magazines all have curvy women, and I mean actual curvy women, not the euphemism for being fat as the word is coopted for so often these days. This is a good idea of what we're all talking about: the woman on the left is skinny, the woman on the right is, well, "thick", and quite possibly straight up obese. Finally we have the woman in the middle who is exactly what we're talking about in terms of what has the greatest appeal to men:
I like the way they have clothing sizes on those pics, as if those clothing sizes were meaningful measurements of curvature and chunkiness--a short woman who wears a size "12" is going to have a really different body shape than a tall woman who wears a size "12". I am short and when I wear a 12, I look more like the woman on the right (who I think is the most attractive of the bunch, but I am not a man).

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,936,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
That depends on the species. In some species the males do stick around to rear their young, like wolves. And humans.
Humans in a natural setting -- where the parents provide for their offspring are most like wolves. The male sticks around to help bring in food and raise the pups. Wolves live in family packs.

Humans are becoming more like dogs where they just rut and depend on others to feed and raise the pups.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Humans in a natural setting -- where the parents provide for their offspring are most like wolves. The male sticks around to help bring in food and raise the pups. Wolves live in family packs.

Humans are becoming more like dogs where they just rut and depend on others to feed and raise the pups.
So what is this other species that is caring for us???? Invisible aliens????

Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Er what, in nature the male typically impregnates the female and that's it. He doesn't play the role of the father, and the child doesn't need his or her father. His role is just to spread good genes. Once he's done, he goes away to do it again. To what extent paternal care is a natural feature of human biology is debatable but it's a part of human society.
That's the welfare kind of society, not natural because if you look at the animal world -- wolves for one example, the males stick around to help feed and teach their offspring. Male birds are monogamous at least for a season and help feed the offspring. Even herd animals have males that are involved in some way.

You're thinking of species like fish or insects where many thousands of fertilized eggs are laid somewhere and some might survive. A 9 month pregnancy would be too risky in the natural world, and the helplessness of human infants makes it too difficult. Promiscuous women who have no clue who the father might be would have a decreased chance of survival and certainly their offspring would also.

Where the father would stick around and help raise their offspring would give the offspring a much better chance of survival into adulthood.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
So what is this other species that is caring for us???? Invisible aliens????
Government.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,278,152 times
Quote:
That's the welfare kind of society, not natural because if you look at the animal world -- wolves for one example, the males stick around to help feed and teach their offspring. Male birds are monogamous at least for a season and help feed the offspring. Even herd animals have males that are involved in some way.

You're thinking of species like fish or insects where many thousands of fertilized eggs are laid somewhere and some might survive. A 9 month pregnancy would be too risky in the natural world, and the helplessness of human infants makes it too difficult. Promiscuous women who have no clue who the father might be would have a decreased chance of survival and certainly their offspring would also.

Where the father would stick around and help raise their offspring would give the offspring a much better chance of survival into adulthood.
Great post. It makes complete sense. Humans are certainly pack oriented. It might behoove the opposing argument to find another species with a similar gestation period and growth curve that behaves as suggested in this thread.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Government.
I think you got that backwards.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,810,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, I am a guy, and large breasts do nothing for me.
Are you gay?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,810,752 times
Quote:
I like the way they have clothing sizes on those pics, as if those clothing sizes were meaningful measurements of curvature and chunkiness--a short woman who wears a size "12" is going to have a really different body shape than a tall woman who wears a size "12". I am short and when I wear a 12, I look more like the woman on the right (who I think is the most attractive of the bunch, but I am not a man).
Believe it or not, as a guy, I also prefer the women on the right while the women on the left is simply to skinny to be attractive. It is very telling, if you ever compare women in fashion catalogs and women in Playboy or Hustler you can easily see that what man find sexy is very different from what is fed to women as a standard of female beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies