Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Women, and people in general, gravitate to their own. I was just reading this paper that mentions likes with likes in a round about way. Although, it's a paper on work/life balance.

"First of all, a fairly large proportion of female scientists marry or partner with other scientists. Approximately 70% of female physicists are married to other scientists and 80% of female mathematicians are married to other mathematicians (Gibbons 1992)."

It's pretty typical, so no, not just any guy acting like an alpha will do. Many women require a man who has an intellect that surpasses the equivalent of a person who regularly chews on lead paint chips.
I think there is a lot of truth in that. It's been my experience that smart women almost always prefer smart guys, with looks being secondary to both. The same goes for both sexes when it comes to less intelligence, too.

Humans are ruled by biology just as much as any other creature on this planet, and I believe that we really don't understand as much about what attracts us in the opposite sex as we think we know.

We are social animals- we pack up, just as many species do. In a herd or a pack, there is a place for every member. The curious and incurious are equally needed for survival, as are the strongest and the weakest, the most able and the least able.

I believe that we tend to seek out a partner who is most like us, physically and mentally most of the time. But, at the same time, I think there are those of us who seek to improve our offspring's genetics by seeking a mate who has strengths to enhance our own weaknesses.

I think that women in general tend to do the second more than men, as their biological burden is greater. Mothers always want their kids to be better than they are in some way or other.

I also think that different cultures have different priorities, which causes different preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I think it may be a matter of pickiness more than sex drive.
Yes but for one male that has had 500 female partners there was 1 non-picky male, 500 non-picky females.

And the next male that has had 500 female partners, there was probably a lot of overlap.

What is considered promiscuous? A woman who essentially ends up sleeping with anyone she dates, might only date 5 men a year which would probably not look very promiscuous. Yet in ten years that's going to add up to 50 men.

Of course the bar fly kind of woman who picks up a different man every week will have had sex with 52 men in just one year. In ten years she could easily have been with 520 men.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,680,328 times
So, what is wrong with women using sex on us, just to get to know us better? If women were that honest, men may discover they don't even need to lie to women for a relationship. From that perspective, why is it that women prefer lies and liars, to the sublime truth and honesty as a moral and form of respect toward fellow human beings; unless, they prefer amorality to morals contrary to what they tend to claim on public forums?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,953,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think there is a lot of truth in that. It's been my experience that smart women almost always prefer smart guys, with looks being secondary to both. The same goes for both sexes when it comes to less intelligence, too.

Humans are ruled by biology just as much as any other creature on this planet, and I believe that we really don't understand as much about what attracts us in the opposite sex as we think we know.

We are social animals- we pack up, just as many species do. In a herd or a pack, there is a place for every member. The curious and incurious are equally needed for survival, as are the strongest and the weakest, the most able and the least able.

I believe that we tend to seek out a partner who is most like us, physically and mentally most of the time. But, at the same time, I think there are those of us who seek to improve our offspring's genetics by seeking a mate who has strengths to enhance our own weaknesses.

I think that women in general tend to do the second more than men, as their biological burden is greater. Mothers always want their kids to be better than they are in some way or other.

I also think that different cultures have different priorities, which causes different preferences.
I would say men more so, try to pusg their love of contact sports on their kids, often leading to serious injury....who would want that for their child ? ...only the greedy.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 PM

I am thinking of doing some preliminary "research" for a book that may be entitled: The smartest women in the room; why women seem to "enron" their relationships while claiming they aren't really like that.

Any chics want to help out?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,444 times
biology tells us to procreate, no matter how overpopulated the world is with human beings. . . . .our intellect tells us that "moderation" is a more appropriate means of continuing the specie.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
So, what is wrong with women using sex on us, just to get to know us better? If women were that honest, men may discover they don't even need to lie to women for a relationship. From that perspective, why is it that women prefer lies and liars, to the sublime truth and honesty as a moral and form of respect toward fellow human beings; unless, they prefer amorality to morals contrary to what they tend to claim on public forums?
Bottom line women are not always what you think. Remember, objects in the mirror may be closer than you think !! Contrary to what men are lead to believe, many women use men the same way as men "use" women. Most however are slick enough about it so they do not become labeled a ****. yes , life IS a double standard. I am sure glad I grew up as a white middle class male who, could do about any thing including women and get rewarded for it among your piers.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM

I don't mind if girl friends merely claim they want to practice.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,444 times
Somebody (the testosterone influenced gender) is missing a big (and TRUE) point here.
For men, sex is (or at least can be) about sex, period. For women, this is rarely if ever the case. . ..for (most) women, the willingness to engage in sex is an indication of the emotional bonding she believes is being developed with a man. Men sure don't "get it". . ..and if they did, they would say "no" to those who they believe are not at least potential life partners. . . ..

Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Somebody (the testosterone influenced gender) is missing a big (and TRUE) point here.
For men, sex is (or at least can be) about sex, period. For women, this is rarely if ever the case. . ..for (most) women, the willingness to engage in sex is an indication of the emotional bonding she believes is being developed with a man. Men sure don't "get it". . ..and if they did, they would say "no" to those who they believe are not at least potential life partners. . . ..
I have to disagree with this statement about women.. I still say many women consider themselves very independent. Started in the 60s and progressed from there. They do not need men for much. They DO like sex, when they want it, the guys they find may think differently, I agree with that, but ,from personal experience from the 70s on I see the women I was around as mostly confident, self centered, progressive , indiapendent. I may have lived in a singles complex near Chicago,where everyone was work sensitive , their job came before social contact, and yes, quite a few encounters I had ( sex ) were with young women who had little interest in marriage, kids, and " settling down". Often I was not the aggressor, lots of my female friends knoked on my door, and mostly for one reason.....sex !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies