Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The jury will be given this instruction re murder 2---
[SIZE=3]
An act is "imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind" if it is an act or series of acts that:

1. a person of ordinary judgment would know is reasonably certain to kill or do serious bodily injury to another, and

2. is done from ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent, and

3. is of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life.
[/SIZE]

And I don't see the word "malice" in there. Do you?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You get the passport in a few days if you pay the expedited fees, if not it's 3 weeks.
Least that was our case.
All I did was copy the text from the .gov website and ask the question.

It appears there's now some contradiction regarding the passport. Someone originally said that he got the new passport two weeks after the shooting. More recently in the thread, someone else said that he had gotten the new one several years ago, and when he found the old one after the bail hearing, he gave it to his attorney. If that's true, then it makes the passport discussion moot.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
But wait. You've been saying all along that the State has no case, that this is a slam dunk for the defense, no way Zimmerman will be convicted.......yet, a long time ago you thought he should leave the country while he had the chance.
Notice I said before he was arrested. Now that some evidence from discovery has been released it's clear the prosecution has no case.

Oh you didn't comment on the judge poo pooing on the passport fiasco the prosecution tried. Nor have you commented on the prosecution asking the judge to have Zimmerman's statements sealed because it amounts to a confession and the judge responded that the statements actually help the defense.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And I don't see the word "malice" in there. Do you?
Synonym- are different words with almost identical or similar meanings. Words that are synonyms are said to be synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy. The word comes from Ancient Greek syn (σύν) ("with") and onoma (ὄνομα) ("name"). The words car and automobile are synonyms. Similarly, if we talk about a long time or an extended time, long and extended become synonyms. In the figurative sense, two words are often said to be synonymous if they have the same connotation:

Quote:
mal·ice   [mal-is] Show IPA
noun
desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.
Law . evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.
Quote:
Synonyms
1. ill will, spite, spitefulness; animosity, enmity; malevolence; venom, hate, hatred; bitterness, rancor. See grudge.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post

It appears there's now some contradiction regarding the passport. Someone originally said that he got the new passport two weeks after the shooting. More recently in the thread, someone else said that he had gotten the new one several years ago, and when he found the old one after the bail hearing, he gave it to his attorney. If that's true, then it makes the passport discussion moot.
Maybe this will help:

Zimmerman Bond Revoked After Discrepancies Over Money, Passport Revealed

[quote] Florida Judge Kenneth Lester said Zimmerman engaged in "material falsehood" by hiding the amount of money actually present in his bank accounts at the time bond was posted. Zimmerman also did not turn over a second passport he acquired two weeks after the trial.

Zimmerman declared himself financially indigent the day before the bond hearing when he actually had $135,000 in his bank account, much of which was donated to him on a fund-raising website Zimmerman himself set up. In taped conversations made while Zimmerman was in jail, he and his wife talk in code about the money and passport, kept in a safe deposit box./]

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Notice I said before he was arrested. Now that some evidence from discovery has been released it's clear the prosecution has no case.

Oh you didn't comment on the judge poo pooing on the passport fiasco the prosecution tried. Nor have you commented on the prosecution asking the judge to have Zimmerman's statements sealed because it amounts to a confession and the judge responded that the statements actually help the defense.
What-Ever.....

I'm tired of countering what I consider to be really foolish statements. I've only worked in the justice system for (many) years, I don't know anything. You know it all. Call up Zimmerman's attorney and fill him in on all your theories and analyses. I'm sure he'd be eager to have you on the legal team.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Synonym- are different words with almost identical or similar meanings. Words that are synonyms are said to be synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy. The word comes from Ancient Greek syn (σύν) ("with") and onoma (ὄνομα) ("name"). The words car and automobile are synonyms. Similarly, if we talk about a long time or an extended time, long and extended become synonyms. In the figurative sense, two words are often said to be synonymous if they have the same connotation:
Did you find the legal definition of the word "malice" in the florida statutes? Humm? That's where it has to come from. The question is what does "malice" mean in terms of Florida law.

Additionally, the word "malice" is NOT used in the 2nd murder statute.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
Here's pertinent portions of the article which sets forth the Judge's findings and ruling. Zimmerman had two passports, and only turned in one.

A judge has revoked George Zimmerman's bond.

In a motion heard in court today, the State Attorney’s Office says Zimmerman had two passports, but only surrendered one, and had more money than originally thought.

Judge Kenneth Lester made the decision after hearing arguments from both sides.

Prosecutor Bernie De La Rionda said George Zimmerman's wife, Shelly, lied to the court. The motion lists transcripts of phone conversations between Zimmerman and his wife from jail in which they talked about his passport and financial circumstances.

“Mr. Zimmerman can’t sit back, as I used again the euphemism, a potted palm, and let his wife testify falsely before the court when he knew well in advance of that hearing the amounts of money in controversy, nor can he allow his attorney to stand up and make misrepresentations, not by your fault whatsoever Mr. O’mara, said Judge Lester as he gave his ruling. “You were completely candid and honest with the court as you’ve always been, and he can’t sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond for circumstances based upon those material falsehoods. That’s what they were. So at this time, revoke his bond and place him on no bond status. I find that good cause exists based upon the material misrepresentations that the court relied upon. I order him to surrender himself in 48 hours to the sheriff of Seminole County.”

Zimmerman has 48 hours to return to jail. He has been free since April 23, when he left the Seminole County jail shortly after midnight. Three days earlier, his bond was set at $150,000.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post

For someone his age they passport would be good for ten years.
If he had one it would have been wise of the court to ask for it to be handed over or if that wasn't asked and he handed it to his attorney that would be a good move.
If he was out getting a passport AFTER the self defense incident that has gotten him to court; IMO that would look real bad.
Now if he had a trip already coming up he was getting a passport for in which he had prior reservations, I could see him getting the passport and then also handing it over if charges came up, which it did.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
This is the link: [url=http://www.sohh.com/2012/05/george_zimmerman_raises_204000_in_three.html]George Zimmerman Raises $204,000 In Three Weeks, $50,000 Already Spent | SOHH.COM[/url]

"Zimmerman, the man who shot their son, raised $204,000 in just three weeks with a PayPal account posted to a website. He spent about $50,000 before his defense lawyer ever learned of the fund's swelling balance, his attorney, Mark O'Mara, acknowledged.
Well, that sort of blows the claim that he used the money for legal fees!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies