Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,311,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Here's pertinent portions of the article which sets forth the Judge's findings and ruling. Zimmerman had two passports, and only turned in one.

A judge has revoked George Zimmerman's bond.

In a motion heard in court today, the State Attorney’s Office says Zimmerman had two passports, but only surrendered one, and had more money than originally thought.

Judge Kenneth Lester made the decision after hearing arguments from both sides.

Prosecutor Bernie De La Rionda said George Zimmerman's wife, Shelly, lied to the court. The motion lists transcripts of phone conversations between Zimmerman and his wife from jail in which they talked about his passport and financial circumstances.

“Mr. Zimmerman can’t sit back, as I used again the euphemism, a potted palm, and let his wife testify falsely before the court when he knew well in advance of that hearing the amounts of money in controversy, nor can he allow his attorney to stand up and make misrepresentations, not by your fault whatsoever Mr. O’mara, said Judge Lester as he gave his ruling. “You were completely candid and honest with the court as you’ve always been, and he can’t sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond for circumstances based upon those material falsehoods. That’s what they were. So at this time, revoke his bond and place him on no bond status. I find that good cause exists based upon the material misrepresentations that the court relied upon. I order him to surrender himself in 48 hours to the sheriff of Seminole County.”

Zimmerman has 48 hours to return to jail. He has been free since April 23, when he left the Seminole County jail shortly after midnight. Three days earlier, his bond was set at $150,000.
You CAN'T have more than ONE valid passport, so someone was being a nut case here.
If you turn in your old passport for a new one they hole punch it and give it back so it can't be used. Some one could have their old one, but it would be worthless.
How much money a person has should have nothing to do with bail IMO. I think the state has no case and are trying to find a way to pin something on George to placate the black community dis-organizers.
It was public knowledge having made national news that Zimmerman had put up a website to ask for defense donations. The fact he got some should not be a minus in anyone's eyes.
This looks like a setup. Florida's criminal system is looking inept and corrupt as time goes by.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,014,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
For someone his age they passport would be good for ten years.
If he had one it would have been wise of the court to ask for it to be handed over or if that wasn't asked and he handed it to his attorney that would be a good move.
If he was out getting a passport AFTER the self defense incident that has gotten him to court; IMO that would look real bad.
Now if he had a trip already coming up he was getting a passport for in which he had prior reservations, I could see him getting the passport and then also handing it over if charges came up, which it did.
Unless I'm mistaken, George already had a passport and said he lost it and needed a replacement. Maybe we're talking about 2 different things, but I'm pretty sure he had to surrender his passport when he was released on bail. Then it was discovered he never really lost the original passport. Maybe there's a different number (I have no idea) on the replacement so this can't happen without detection. Does anyone know? How else would the prosecution know this? I assume that a person can't just request an additional passport. When I got my last passport, I had to mail the one that was almost expired. It was mailed back to me with the new one.

EDIT:

RE: PASSPORT - If this TV news report is true, then the assumptions about his passports are false. He never applied for one after the shooting. The 2nd passport has nothing to do with the shooting. The only reason the prosecution brought up the 2nd passport is because it was not surrendered as required. Of course he said he forgot, just like he forgot to mention the money!

[url=http://www.10news.com/news/31139723/detail.html]Judge Revokes Zimmerman's Bond - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego[/url]

In court documents, State Attorney Angela B. Corey also said that Zimmerman had two passports, and the passport that he surrendered to the court at the April hearing was one that Zimmerman had reported stolen on March 8, 2004. That passport was valid until May 2012, Corey said.

Zimmerman was issued a second passport on March 26, 2004, and that one is valid until 2014, she said.
The prosecutor asked the court that Zimmerman be ordered to surrender the second passport to authorities.

Last edited by justNancy; 06-01-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,311,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, that sort of blows the claim that he used the money for legal fees!

Thank you!
Probably for his expense and attorney fees. He had to stop working due to the case.
Of course 208k is going to be what in real money by the time Obama's Feds take the tax chunk out?
When he files taxes, could he write the court case expenses off against the raised income to lower payments to tax man? Anyone here have knowledge on that?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 PM

11,184 posts, read 6,541,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And I don't see the word "malice" in there. Do you?
I knew the word 'malice' wasn't in the murder 2 law. Since you, despite sitting through murder trials from beginning to end, weren't sure, I simply wanted to give the language. If you look up malice in law you'll see it's similar to language in sub. 2.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Probably for his expense and attorney fees. He had to stop working due to the case.
Of course 208k is going to be what in real money by the time Obama's Feds take the tax chunk out?
When he files taxes, could he write the court case expenses off against the raised income to lower payments to tax man? Anyone here have knowledge on that?
Taxes have never been raised since Obama took office, so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "Obama's Feds."

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,612,745 times
Quote:
You CAN'T have more than ONE valid passport, so someone was being a nut case here.
If you turn in your old passport for a new one they hole punch it and give it back so it can't be used. Some one could have their old one, but it would be worthless.
How much money a person has should have nothing to do with bail IMO. I think the state has no case and are trying to find a way to pin something on George to placate the black community dis-organizers.
It was public knowledge having made national news that Zimmerman had put up a website to ask for defense donations. The fact he got some should not be a minus in anyone's eyes.
This looks like a setup. Florida's criminal system is looking inept and corrupt as time goes by.
If someone has dual citizenship they can indeed have MORE THAN ONE PASSPORT. I have a friend who travels on both her American AND British passports (like when she goes to Cuba, etc)

Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If someone has dual citizenship they can indeed have MORE THAN ONE PASSPORT. I have a friend who travels on both her American AND British passports (like when she goes to Cuba, etc)
Yes, you are correct. However, what happened is that GZ had a valid U.S. Passport and applied for a replacement when he thought he lost it. So he had 2 since it turns out he found it but didn't turn it in as required by law.
Quote:
You're right, but he asked for a replacement. Still, he did not ask for a passport after the shooting. I don't know where that story came from, but that's not what I just read. He had 2 passports because he found the one he thought he lost. Still, he should have surrendered both of them. I edited my last post to be fair, since I try never to post false information.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,612,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, you are correct. However, what happened is that GZ had a valid U.S. Passport and applied for a replacement when he thought he lost it. So he had 2 since it turns out he found it but didn't turn it in as required by law.
Thanks, I missed that detail of the issue.

It ALL makes GZ look beyond shady. He has the audacity to think that he (and his crooked family) can lie to the court. But based on his background and past arrest record I'm really not surprised.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,206,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
charged with a crime.... TRUE CRIME!!
What other type of crime is there? The facts, opinions and extenuating circumstances surrounding this particular crime are controversial. No?

If you have a problem with where one of your threads was moved to, you really should take it up with a MOD as opposed to making an issue out of it on another thread.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thanks, I missed that detail of the issue.

It ALL makes GZ look beyond shady. He has the audacity to think that he (and his crooked family) can lie to the court. But based on his background and past arrest record I'm really not surprised.

This thread is going too fast for me. Help!

I need to go back and read the last few pages to see how the story about applying for a passport after the shooting started. He applied for the 2nd one in 2004. However, GZ must be an idiot to think that his passport wouldn't be checked. He turned in the passport that he claimed he lost. LOL I mean, he had to know they wanted him to turn in any valid passports. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure he did this intentionally, but at this point I have no idea what to think. He's under a lot of stress, so maybe he just forgot, but why would he still have the old passport? When he found it he should have destroyed it. Maybe there's more to this story than we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies