Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,576,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Right, the Virginia "VIP" (Vaginal Inspection Patrol) is all about religious freedom.
I would think that would be about health care. We get more info when we have a tooth pulled than we get before an abortion. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,576,636 times
The new mantra for our times---

"More contraceptives, less heart and cancer care." Nothing is free, not in this life.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,388,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
My concern is that with another increase in premiums people will not be able to afford their insurance policy.... so others can have birth control this person who just wants to be sure if they have a heart attack they have insurance will no longer have insurance because they can no longer afford the premiums.
Of course I'm hoping Obamacare takes care of that problem but that is two years away.
Did I read that right? The person who is at risk for a heart attack won't be ale to afford health insurance because insurance companies will have to pay the $10/month for BC pills? I'll fill you in on something - heart bypass surgery is a LOT more expensive than birth control drugs.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:53 PM

60 posts, read 261,109 times
If being pregnant isn't a disease, why did I end up in the hospital so often when I was pregnant? Why am I still having repercussions from that pregnancy (yet another doctor's appointment tomorrow) ten years later?

I understand what you're saying, but please don't assume that pregnancy is easy and desirable for everyone.

Here's a fun financial fact: The birth control that I'm taking (partially paid for by my insurance) is far, FAR less expensive than the overall cost of my pregnancy. The medication I was on to keep me alive during that pregnancy, without insurance, would have cost $27,000 for nine month's worth (that doesn't factor in the constant hospitalizations, ER trips, extra doctor trips, other meds I was on, the trip to the ER from the allergic reaction I had to one of the less expensive medications- that was fun- the birth, etc). That's equal to 45 years worth of my current birth control. Insurance covering part of my birth control makes WAY more financial sense for the entire insurance pool.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,888,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't want to be paying for your's or for other people's irresponsibility or behavior. If you can't afford to have a baby or don't want one yet. Then men, keep your zippers zipped and women, keep your legs closed until marriage.

People are already paying enough in taxes, we don't need to add on to the burden. Pay for contraceptive devices yourself if you want to have sex so badly. I don't want us to turn into Europe where many things are taxed, "subsidized" and "free."
Just because two people get married does NOT mean they necessarily want to have children. So, then what? Do you propose abstinence in a marriage?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,994,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Just because two people get married does NOT mean they necessarily want to have children. So, then what? Do you propose abstinence in a marriage?
I'd like to see that happen.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,888,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'd like to see that happen.
Yeah, me too! According to the poster, no sex until marriage is the way to go. Fine. Then what? They still have no right to use BC?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,312,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Because you're Dewwwwww I won't tell you to scroll back because I have already posted it.

Personhood USA is the group.
Amendment I think 68 in Colorado.
They have been trying in a few other states.
Well, thank you.

Do you understand that Amendment 68 would NOT have banned ALL forms of birth control?

I honestly think you are debating an issue you do not fully understand. I'm out. More fun to sit back and watch you argue your own "facts" while ignoring the people who have challenged you. It's free entertainment.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-08-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,979,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
And who will be deciding if a woman needs them for pregnancy prevention, or for a medical need?

And seriously, all someone would have to do is tell their Dr. that their insurance won't cover it if it's for pregnancy, yet WILL cover it for medical reasons, and the Dr. will make a note about it in their chart. Happens ALL the time.

Of you that make the distinction, how will you handle cases like that?
that is between the doctor and the patient. it happens with a lot of medications, not just birth control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Ah but the problem is that the GOP wants employers to disallow coverage for whatever they wish based on religious arguments and that is indeed a slippery slope.
Quote:
The GOP wants to regulate businesses based on religious considerations. Normally GOP/conservatives get all up in arms about any kind of regulation, but this they defend. I wonder why....
no, the gop wants to allow insurance companies and businesses to not have to pay for things that go against the tenants of their religion. to understand this better, remove the word catholic and insert the word muslim. both religions are against birth control and against abortion. but somehow because catholics are making a fuss over it, it is a major issue.

Quote:
Maybe abortion won't be outlawed, but GOP lawmakers may well be successful in making women go through even more hell than they currently do with the forced ultrasounds etc.

The recent flap with the Komen foundation and the GOP gal pulling the strings didn't help the GOP cause any.
perhaps women who are wanting an abortion should have to have an ultrasound to see just what they are getting rid of. abortions are never going to be made illegal, unless the muslims take over the world, but perhaps some abortions can be eliminated, and those children put up for adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The Repubs picking Romney is just another example of giving us another pathetic joke of a candidate to hold our nose and vote for. This time, our "alternative" to Obama is Romney "the White Obama," the inventor of Obamacare and a Democrat until he was 50 years old, and the ex-Governor of the most liberal state in the nation.
actually romney tried to stop the state mandate for health insurance, but realized that he was not going to be able to. he also tried to stop a number of changes to the mass health care law, but his vetos were overturned. romney has stated many times that he would work to repeal obamacare if he is elected to office.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,418,848 times
If only Rick Santorum's mother had used birth control.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies