Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,148,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Next thing you know, all food will be covered by health insurance as well. After all, without it people WILL die.
My nephew was born with Homocystinuria. His formula which was prescribed by the pediatrician, and was 800.00 a month was not considered as medicinal even though he had to have it to survive. Thus the insurance company denied coverage... I doubt we'll ever see food of any kind covered unless it too is mandated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The gains "this" is taking away is the gain of having well-woman care plus contraception covered w/o additional expense.

Yes, you're missing a lot. I did some checking. In Colorado, a state with a contraception mandate, a 25 year old woman can expect to pay ~$200/mo ($2400/yr) for a health insurance policy that has a $30/$50 co-pay plus a $1500 deductible. That is $3900 cash outlay plus co-pays before the insurance kicks in. Is is so unreasonable for the insurance company to cover the BCP without a co-pay for that kind of money? Most 25 year old women will not see the doctor for anything else in a year of paying for this insurance.
So why do they need insurance then?? You can go to a doctor without it and pay a helluva lot less a year if that's all your using it for. And if they just want it "in case" something big happens they can get catastrophic insurance which is still tons less. The argument that women can't afford bc is just ridiculous. It's so obvious this is to force religious orgs into doing something against their beliefs. This gets pushed through and then what's next?!?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
So why do they need insurance then?? You can go to a doctor without it and pay a helluva lot less a year if that's all your using it for. And if they just want it "in case" something big happens they can get catastrophic insurance which is still tons less. The argument that women can't afford bc is just ridiculous. It's so obvious this is to force religious orgs into doing something against their beliefs. This gets pushed through and then what's next?!?
There is no such thing as "catastrophic" insurance, hasn't been for years. What there is now is high-deductible ins. but it's still ~$200/mo for a young female. Most people get their ins. through work.

"Pushed through"? It's the law in a majority of states now!

I don't buy the "slippery slope" argument. I think this issue should be argued on its merits.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,964,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This is not the problem although the administration wants you to believe it is. This is about religious freedom. Those who are against BC for moral reasons do not want to be mandated to supply it. Simple really, plus this would not make BC illegal at all. Women can still get it and that will not stop.

You don't like the health insurance one employer supplies for you then don't work for that employer, work for another. There are several out there.
Any Business has to follow the rules that all others are required to follow, and when a religous group is running one they must follow those same laws. No one was making them pay for birth control since the reality it woud not have increased their rate one cent. So to say it was a war on religion is not the truth. Besides, if they had done their work right no women working for them would be using the pil anyway and most would be breeding like rabbits, hmmmmm, but that does not seem to be the case, ahhhh, now I get it.
As for tax payer funds going towards it, I do not like my tax dollars going to many things, guess what, it is not up to me, that is the job of the Congress.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times
I am a republician, a democrat before waking up. I feel women have a right to determine their own destiny, whether they should practice birth control or not.

But my gosh, why should very responsible adults, and younger people have to pay, for thos who are so irresponsible, why! for their wild night of sex, guess what, then the baby comes, and it is not our responsibility. Sorry tell it like it really is.

My sister inlaw is a fine nurse, do you know the number of women, ,who are not married, do not have a job, are on their 4th and 5th child, but it is ok, because the system takes care of them.
Why should those of us who are responsibile and mature, pay for these idiots mistakes.
I despice ingorance of any kind, and being irresponsible with sex, man or women, gets to my guts.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am a republician, a democrat before waking up. I feel women have a right to determine their own destiny, whether they should practice birth control or not.

But my gosh, why should very responsible adults, and younger people have to pay, for thos who are so irresponsible, why! for their wild night of sex, guess what, then the baby comes, and it is not our responsibility. Sorry tell it like it really is.

My sister inlaw is a fine nurse, do you know the number of women, ,who are not married, do not have a job, are on their 4th and 5th child, but it is ok, because the system takes care of them.
Why should those of us who are responsibile and mature, pay for these idiots mistakes.
I despice ingorance of any kind, and being irresponsible with sex, man or women, gets to my guts.
bravo!!!!

well said, i repped you for this one.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:

Well, we could ignore it.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well, we could ignore it.
Can't be ingored, maybe in tv land, in reality, we are stuck with this, it is all around us, have you not noticed.
It would be easy to ingore, if this were not true.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Can't be ingored, maybe in tv land, in reality, we are stuck with this, it is all around us, have you not noticed.
It would be easy to ingore, if this were not true.
It was sarcasm..

We don't have to LIKE whats happening, and we can't control what other people do, we just have to deal with the fallout somehow. You don't want to pay for idiots mistakes so what do you suggest short of ignoring or getting rid of the idiots?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
For the last time. Not everyone using BC is having wild nights of careless sex, unless you think that every married woman is secretly cavorting wildly with husband? And the person whose relative sees so many careless women having kids they can't take care of- wouldn't that sort of indicate a need for sex ed and birth control, whether you like it or not?
But the insurance coverage issue is a whole 'nother thing. It takes but a minute to turn into "these sluts should keep their legs closed" rather than an understanding of what health insurance should offer. And it is no answer to say, "Get another job/get other insurance," as obviously that isn't an option for most people, including those fortunate enough these days to both have a job and have one with health insurance.
We all pay in premiums and taxes for things we don't use/like/want. If a religious owner (institution or person/business) is running a business and has any involvement with federal law or money (like Medicaid/Medicare) or tax deductions for paying part of health insurance or whatever, it needs to follow the rules, or refuse the financial involvement. Remember that no church itself has to do this for its direct employees, but when the Catholic church in particular owns more property/business/valuables than many Fortune 500 companies, it has lost the religious argument many dollars ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies