Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,791,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Ah but the problem is that the GOP wants employers to disallow coverage for whatever they wish based on religious arguments and that is indeed a slippery slope.

Your argument appears to be based on logic: if you are engaging in recreational sex, your medically related expenses should be out of pocket and not reimbursible or covered. Fair enough.

But why should insurance providers be obligated to operate against economic considerations? What are the consequences of a guy not being able to get it up? Well for one thing it decreases the likelihood of someone getting pregnant. However the possible consequences of a woman not getting BC are pregnancy, will not only life changing considerations but also increased cost for the insurer. Pregnancies are a LOT more expensive than brith control.

So why is the GOP now trying to stick its nose not only into people's sex lives by injecting religious considerations, they want businesses to operate against their own self interest?
But it's ok for the Dems to do that ? Obamacare MANDATES coverage.
Isn't that the same thing ..sticking their nose into people's sex lives ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,391,813 times
You ignored the hard part I see.

The GOP wants to regulate businesses based on religious considerations. Normally GOP/conservatives get all up in arms about any kind of regulation, but this they defend. I wonder why....

Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You ignored the hard part I see.

The GOP wants to regulate businesses based on religious considerations. Normally GOP/conservatives get all up in arms about any kind of regulation, but this they defend. I wonder why....
That's one broad brush you got there painting the entire party having that belief.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's one broad brush you got there painting the entire party having that belief.
That brush goes into the trash the instant someone in the GOP speaks out against it.

OK and doesn't get trashed by the remainder of the GOP for being a - gasp - RINO.

I won't hold my breath.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
That brush goes into the trash the instant someone in the GOP speaks out against it.

OK and doesn't get trashed by the remainder of the GOP for being a - gasp - RINO.

I won't hold my breath.
Ron Paul.

He calls this whole debate "silly" and refuses to get on that bandwagon.

Ron Paul: This birth control debate is just “silly” « Hot Air

Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ron Paul.

He calls this whole debate "silly" and refuses to get on that bandwagon.

Ron Paul: This birth control debate is just “silly†« Hot Air
I'll take it. Ron Paul is no dummy.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I'll take it. Ron Paul is no dummy.
It is a "silly" debate. We know abortion won't be outlawed and BC will continue to be available.

It's just stabs at the right vs left because this is an election year.
The Dems lost several states and the House last election.
The Repubs want to gain more seats.
Both want the Presidency.

So make EVERY issue of national importance and pull no stops to cause emotional outrage from both sides.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Maybe abortion won't be outlawed, but GOP lawmakers may well be successful in making women go through even more hell than they currently do with the forced ultrasounds etc.

The recent flap with the Komen foundation and the GOP gal pulling the strings didn't help the GOP cause any.

You ask me, the GOP picked the wrong battle here. OK except for Ron Paul.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe abortion won't be outlawed, but GOP lawmakers may well be successful in making women go through even more hell than they currently do with the forced ultrasounds etc.

The recent flap with the Komen foundation and the GOP gal pulling the strings didn't help the GOP cause any.

You ask me, the GOP picked the wrong battle here. OK except for Ron Paul.
And that IS happening at the state level.
Has Obama and his administration commented on this at all ? (sincere question here..not snarky).

Personally I am against abortion and would not get one. But I wouldn't deny to all women. Let them decide and make it available at their expense. Same with BC when used as a contraceptive..make it available at their expense.

And I am against this ultrasound that so many states are passing. Let the woman get the abortion if she wants is and is paying for it.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

But he might well say something about the bill introduced at the Federal level.
Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies