Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Enjoy it while you can. When you hit 40 your doctor will tell you if you don't stop the pill you are in greater chance of having a stroke, breast cancer or heart attack.

Why not get a hysterectomy if you don't like what comes along with being a female? Then you won't have to worry about any of it.
What woman actually ENJOYS bleeding for an average of 7 days, while she has cramps and feels bloated?

I am only 22, I want kids one day, I just don't feel like bleeding every month for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let me rephrase that for you. You want your rights to feel good subsidized by someone else.

Well I want $100 million dollars, pay up.
I pay for my birth control.
I pay for my health insurance, why should I not be able to use something I pay for how I see fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Is that what you're taking out of this?

To quote a good friend of mine "THE CROWD GOES WILD WITH DISMAY, AND THEN COMMITS MASS SUICIDE".

Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, No. What it means is that when a religion goes into a public business like healthcare, receives government money, and goes through constant certification by the state (hospital and doctors alike) that the company must adapt more secular practices.

A restaurant is able to say "I will serve only Catholics". It would be a PR nightmare, but nothing stops them. A hospital cannot do this.
Well, not exactly. A restaurant is a public business. If it was a private club that would be different. What prevents a restaurant from saying "whites only" or "heterosexuals only" or "lesbians only"? The law.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
LOL, those men were from the church. Why would Congress talk to women when they do not represent the church and those who are in charge of paying for the insurance? That was the topic.

Women can have a chance to talk and you saw it when Fluke talked but having women there at that time would not have made any sense. Those men were talking about being mandated to do something that is against their conscience. Perhaps you won't understand it until you are mandated to do something that is against all you stand for. Make one group do something they cannot do and it is easier to make another group do something they cannot do.
the thing is, if anyone had taken the time to find out what Fluke actually said, they would know that her point was that BC pills can be used for reasons other than BC. I am on BC for medical reasons other than preventing pregnancy. Her friend was prescribed BC for medical reasons other than preventing pregnancy, and she couldn't easily access this prescribed med.

I think this whole thing is BS. Every Catholic I know is on some form of BC. "The church" doesn't have a conscious. The old men running it do, and they don't know the first thing about women's health.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I pay more now for health insurance and birth control than I did when I didn't have health insurance.

$130 a month + $10 for birth control = $140 a month all in all.
VERSUS $26 a month for just birth control.

[MOD CUT] ...
your health insurance covers more than just birth control.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Give it a rest really. Most women say they had the miracle of bringing a life into the world. Anything worth having has trade offs.

Get a good doctor and birth won't have those bad outcomes.

I repeat, if you don't want to take the risk of being a woman who gets pregnant then get a hysterectomy. Then you won't have to worry at all.
ONE DAY I would like to bring life into this world. ONE DAY I would like to have at least 2 children, probably no more, even after two I wouldn't want to get a hysterectomy because I would like the option to be there.

ONE DAY I would like these things to happen.

TODAY, THE NEXT 8 YEARS...is not the time.

I do want to get married in my 20's but I do not want children until I am in my 30's or at least 28 or 29.

I am not religious, I do not believe in god, I do not believe in waiting till marriage, nor am I going to wait the next 8 years to have have sex, I've already started, there's no going back, its like pringles, once you pop you just can't stop.

I believe in safe sex which I practice. I am on birth control.
I do not have sex with just anyone, so its not like I am saying I should be able to just go freely have sex with everyone and anyone and be able to abort away.

I have been with the same person for the past two years. Neither of us can afford a child, we don't even live together yet, which will be happening sometime this year but still we can afford to buy birth control and practice safe sex.

I simply do not want my rights taken away because some religious group thinks birth control aka "the pill" is an abortificant.
I like my birth control it has a lot of benefits to it, it works for me.

That Personhood Amendment group has their crap back on the colorado ballot for this year, if it passes I am going to be very angry.

This is a free country. I have the freedom of religion (or no religion in my case).
I shouldn't be forced to live by religious standards when its not what I believe in.
I do not believe "the pill" is an abortificant, nor do I think it is immoral.
I have the right granted by the United States Of America to do things that religious groups do not agree with because I have the freedom of religion, I do not have to believe anything, I can live my life as non-religious person.

This new amendment will take away those rights.
My friends and I are already planning on counter-petitioning and protesting this amendment they are trying to pass, we won't let it happen.

You take this away and you've just violated the first amendment, just violated millions of womens rights and put us a step back in making women equal to men.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
This is about religious liberty not only women's health. If women want insurace that covers BC and all the other fertility issues then work at another place. They are not forced to work at places that can't provide it.

This is against the conscience of those who do not agree with artificial BC. They also cannot provide for sterilizations, vacectomies or any other things that would block life such as the morning after pill also known as the abotion pill.

You don't need to agree with them but the government does need to allow them to have their religious convictions taken into consideration. Expecting someone to go against their conscience is evil. I assure you when it comes to that people will chose their God over their government.

Maybe that wouldn't work in other countries but our founding fathers set up our government for the this very reason. They knew the importance of religious liberty. People came here for that very reason.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
This is about religious liberty not only women's health. If women want insurace that covers BC and all the other fertility issues then work at another place. They are not forced to work at places that can't provide it.

This is against the conscience of those who do not agree with artificial BC. They also cannot provide for sterilizations, vacectomies or any other things that would block life such as the morning after pill also known as the abotion pill.

You don't need to agree with them but the government does need to allow them to have their religious convictions taken into consideration. Expecting someone to go against their conscience is evil. I assure you when it comes to that people will chose their God over their government.

Maybe that wouldn't work in other countries but our founding fathers set up our government for the this very reason. They knew the importance of religious liberty. People came here for that very reason.
I'm not saying that religious places should be required to provide it.

I am talking about birth control in general.
The 4 republicans talking about birth control sparked this but there is a group trying, IN MY STATE to OUTLAW birth control for everyone.

And the abortion pill is the abortion pill.
The morning after pill is NOT the abortion pill. The morning after pill does not cause an abortion, it does the same thing birth control does, it is like one super birth control pill, which is why you have to take the morning after pill 72 hours after you have had unprotected sex, because after 72 hours it would be ineffective against a pregnancy, where as the abortion pill can be taken AFTER that time, once you know you are pregnant, up until a certain point in the pregnancy where a surgical abortion would then be necessary.

I just don't want that group to take away my rights to birth control, which is covered under my insurance through my job.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,587,571 times
Once the dreaded health insurance mandate becomes a reality employees and students can shop for a policy that meets their needs. Disconnect employees from employer health insurance.

Most RC institutions today offer health insurance that covers birth control because they have difficulty attracting skilled workers without it. IMHO any employer who is exercising a religious exemption in their health insurance should provide details in every recruitment notice (also known as a Posting). Let job candidates vote with their feet.

If a student is paying for health insurance through their university the school should offer at least one policy that provides BC coverage.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm not saying that religious places should be required to provide it.

I am talking about birth control in general.
The 4 republicans talking about birth control sparked this but there is a group trying, IN MY STATE to OUTLAW birth control for everyone.

And the abortion pill is the abortion pill.
The morning after pill is NOT the abortion pill. The morning after pill does not cause an abortion, it does the same thing birth control does, it is like one super birth control pill, which is why you have to take the morning after pill 72 hours after you have had unprotected sex, because after 72 hours it would be ineffective against a pregnancy, where as the abortion pill can be taken AFTER that time, once you know you are pregnant, up until a certain point in the pregnancy where a surgical abortion would then be necessary.

I just don't want that group to take away my rights to birth control, which is covered under my insurance through my job.
Don't work for a religious entity that can't provide BC and you can do as much BC as you wish.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Don't work for a religious entity that can't provide BC and you can do as much BC as you wish.
Can we focus on the crazy group trying to pass a law that would outlaw birth control in Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies