Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM

1,595 posts, read 3,004,534 times

Advertisements

Do you still say Merry Christmas?

No. Never. Haven't in years. I'll say "Happy Holidays" if I feel I need to say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 AM

503 posts, read 813,337 times
We'll be having our school Christmas concert on Tuesday if anyone is interested in joining us.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 AM

25,892 posts, read 20,852,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
Yes, and I send Christmas cards to friends and family.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,239,278 times
Nothing like the "birth of Jesus" to bring out the "jam it down their throats" attitude of the Jesus believers.....none of that goodwill towards anybody for them!

I have to admit is IS kinda fun to say Happy HOLIDAYS and make them keep their plastic religious symbols on their own property....it makes them so sad and victimized...it just RUINS their entire lives!!!

.LOL!!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 AM

13,717 posts, read 20,914,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
Yes, but I admit I do selectively choose who. I do not say it if I know or even suspect someone is Jewish.

I must say you get the most enthusiastic response from black folks. Chances are overwhelmingly in your favor that they are in the pro-Xmas camp.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM

662 posts, read 1,458,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i use it all the time. I despise the term happy holidays. although i might use happy holidays during valentine or MJK or something

Why would someone despise Happy Holidays? It is a friendly greeting meant to encompass Thanksgiving through New Years.

Furthermore, why would anyone say it for Valentines? What is MJK?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM

185 posts, read 514,923 times
100% Merry Christmas! You don't say Happy Holidays on Independence Day or Labor Day, so why wouldn't you use the appropriate greeting on Christmas. Besides, even if someone isn't Christian, there is NOTHING offensive about a Merry Christmas wish.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,683,227 times
I'm not stupid enough to get stuck on a certain holiday message. If they believe in Christmas I say "Merry Christmas" if they don't I don't. If I don't know I say "have a good day or I wish you well". Why it's a big deal to think beyond Christmas is juvenile to me. It's not brain surgery, it's a greeting for goodness sake. I think people who harp on greeting usage need to grow up.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,683,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
100% Merry Christmas! You don't say Happy Holidays on Independence Day or Labor Day, so why wouldn't you use the appropriate greeting on Christmas. Besides, even if someone isn't Christian, there is NOTHING offensive about a Merry Christmas wish.
It's not offensive to them it just makes you look stupid in my opinion. Like you are incapable of learning other greetings or use a general greeting if you don't know what others celebrate. Either that or you are making a mean spirited point. Neither choice is admirable to me.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,195,721 times
I like Happy Festivus...for the rest of us. Or, Happy Saturnalia, since most of the Christmas traditions are from pagan religions.

Oh, my, is the fabled "War on Christmas" back in the news?? Wouldn't be the holiday season without an imagined threat to Christianity.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies