Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,880,200 times

Advertisements

Isn't it also racist to sing, I'm dreaming of a white Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 04:03 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,606,043 times
I do still say it, and it honestly rankles me a bit when someone tries to be politically correct about it. Just today, I had some vendor call me and, during the closing phases of the phone call, wishes me a "Mer...I mean, a Happy Holiday Season".

It annoys me so much (even though I'm an atheist) that I made a mental note to not call that vendor back, because I hate political correctness.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,511,794 times
Yes. The only real exception is that I have a couple of Jewish friends, so I wish them happy hanukah, and they wish me merry christmas. And my atheist and agnostic friends, like normal people, don't seem to give a damn--and they'd tell me if they did. It all works out fine.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,993,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes I do. It's Christmas for goodness sakes. Offending someone by wishing them Merry Christmas on Christmas? I don't get that at all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Exactly! And if anyone is offended by that too bad. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,829,671 times
I never stopped saying it. If other people have a problem with it then it is their problem, not mine.
Let them ignore me because I don't plan to stop or change anytime soon.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:10 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,461,155 times
merry xmas.

BFD!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,993,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
If strangers say "Merry Christmas" to me, I politely thank them for the sentiment but I remind them that not everyone takes part in that holiday.

People who know me know I don't celebrate that holiday, so they don't say it to me. Problem solved.

Why do you feel it's necessary to remind them that you do not celebrate that holiday. Why don't you just let it be?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,970,070 times
[quote=JennyMominRI;22136066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
So , do you say Happy Birthday to other people on your birthday, because it's what your celebrating?
If I knew you, and I knew you celebrated Christmas. I would say Merry Christmas too you. It would be pretty silly for me to say Happy Hanukkah to you just because it is what I'm celebrating
LOL...well, I don't bother celebrating my b'day anymore. Got too dang many of them under my belt now and it's 'just another day' to me. So, no I wouldn't wish someone else Happy B'day to me.

Likewise, if I knew you celebrated Christmas I would say Merry Christmas. When I was cashier for a chain restaurant we were informed that we were to say "Happy Holidays" to our customers. Welllll, I did that and this one guy gave me the Beavis and Butthead thing of "Hehehe...she said Happy Holidays". LOL I just didn't say anything after that!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,124,450 times
[quote=JennyMominRI;22136066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
So , do you say Happy Birthday to other people on your birthday, because it's what your celebrating?...
No, because my birthday is personal to me and not a common day of celebration enjoyed by everyone.

On New Year's Day we all say "Happy New Year".
In Feb, we say "Happy Valentine's Day".
On Easter, people say "Happy Easter".
On Mother's Day, it's "Mother's Day" for Moms.
Memorial Day is "Memorial Day Weekend", not just the Monday.
Father's Day is for all Dads.
Independence Day is "4th of July" and celebrated even by non-citizens in many ways.
Halloween is "Halloween".
Thanksgiving is called, ... "Thanksgiving". Not "Feast Day", or something generic.

It's not until we get to Christmas that people act weird about the syntax or label used to express the Day or Season.

Do anti-Christmas people refuse the days off and insist on going in to work for regular pay? Are gitfs refused? Acts of kindness? Expressions of good wishes and well being? All nulled if the "C" word is used?

It's not a religious thing for me, it's just an annoyance over the hyper sensitivity of people.

Steve

Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM

26,714 posts, read 41,964,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
I'm a call center worker and I'm not saying s&^# about Christmas. I hate the non-religious meaning of the holiday. I don't really celebrate it so I'm not saying anything about it. If someone wishes me a Merry Christmas I'll leave it alone. Happy Holidays, leave it alone. Happy Kwanzaa, leave it alone. I really don't care about the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies